I Need Your Help!

Head Guru

If you were charged with giving a breadbox size box full of things from the USA to someone who has never been to the USA, what would the contents of the box contain? Your not budgeted but everything you put in the box has to go thru customs.

Well to be honest, I have been put in charge of just such a task. I will keep you all posted on this, but I really need some input on what to put in the box.

My thoughts are...............

1. Chick - o - stick candy

2. Mini Bottle of Southern Comfort Whiskey or Jack Daniels

What would you put in the box?

• 2 weeks later...

USA flag is correct............and a copy of the Constitution and IMMIGRATION RULES

USA flag is correct............and a copy of the Constitution and IMMIGRATION RULES
Agreed

Why in the world would someone need a copy of the Constitution or immigration policies just to visit the US? That doesn't seem very welcoming to me and isn't in the spirit of the gift.

Hold on, Dick. Bill didn't say the person coming to the USA for the first time was coming on a business trip.

You and Bruce are so much alike in that you don't read things carefully. :lol:

the box has to go thru customs.

Coughs...

Bill isn´t saying the person is coming to the U.S at all, only that the box is leaving the U.S. :lol:

Your not budgeted

If no problem with the customs, my suggestion is some form of a computer that fits in to the box.

A US flag on a stick

That was my first thought too.

something Disney related (maybe a set of mouse ears?)

magazines (Sports Illustrated, National Inquirer, Woman's Day, etc)

Hersey bar, made in Hershey Pennsylvania

miniature Harley Davidson bike (die-cast toy)

Country Music compilation CD (w/some bluegrass)

football

Barbie doll

Oh Thomas! You are right! I am guilty of doing just what I accused Dick and Bruce of doing! :lol:

My bad. I apologize.

I would suggest a small replica of the Statue of Liberty representing the freedom we have in this country.

And maybe something to do with the eagle.

Is there an AGE or SEX available for the recipient of this box?

Why would it matter? And a barbie doll????

That's why it matters. :lol:

Miniature Bible

Peanut M&M's (or some kind of chocolate -- heard good chocolate is taken for granted here)

Sports Illustrated (or some other popular national mag -- Newsweek or something)

Pocket video game

Mickey D's gift certificates :)

Some kind of classic movie on DVD

TV Guide

Mp3 player w/ variety of genres (except the profane stuff)

QUOTE (TCH-Bruce @ Jul 24 2008, 08:35 AM)

Why would it matter? And a barbie doll????

Yes Barbie.

I notice you were not upset that I included a football in my list. Only shocked at the inclusion of Barbie! :)

She is the iconic symbol for American beauty, THE doll for all American girls, collectors item and a HUGE $$ maker for Mattel!

I included football because our football is so different than the soccer around the world.

Bruce, you may know more about who will receive this package than we do.

We have not been told age, sex, purpose, type individual (family person, business person, young, old, etc) so our suggestions are all over the board.

Newspaper (USA Today, New York Times, Weekly World News)

Atlas of USA

Pair of Levis Jeans (Typically American item!!)

Campaign button/pin or hat both political parties (with donkey and elephant)

Bumpersticker (for Gators or other favorite team, etc)

Maple candy or salt-water taffy

Frisbee

Cowboy hat or boots

Pound of coffee from Starbucks or Barneys

DC comic (Superman, Batman, etc)

PSP or gameboy

National Geographic magazine that discusses some USA place (grand canyon, etc)

New Camera with memory stick loaded with photos that have been taken in the area that originated the box (ex: photos of people and places in Detroit, Mich if the box originates there)

THE doll for all American girls, collectors item and a HUGE $$ maker for Mattel!

So is/was Hot Wheels cars. Maybe he should include one of those too.

Bruce, you may know more about who will receive this package than we do.

Nope, I only know what was written in the first post.

Sports Illustrated

Preferably the swimsuit issue :)

I just thought of some more:

-- A collection of landscape photos by Ansel Adams

-- A collection of short stories and quotes by Mark Twain

-- A compilation CD of works of Warren Zevon

-- A compilation CD of works of Frank Zappa

So is/was Hot Wheels cars. Maybe he should include one of those too.

Maybe. Afterall, a Nascar auto, John Deer tractor and Harley Motorcycle are miniatures that were suggested. A specific Hot Wheels vehicle might suit perfectly!

The contents will really reflect two people in the end.

The one sending (what he wants to say about USA and purpose of the package) and the one receiving (age, sex, taste, personality).

At Christmas, many people take a tag off a Christmas Angel tree. The person buying has a description of the child (age, size and preferences for colors, clothes, toys, etc). Though the child has no idea what they will receive, they want the gift from a stranger to be something they want. I would imagine this box would be the same. :)

Ok here is some more insight, and please keep the ideas coming. This has been one of the hardest things I have even been asked to do.

These two people have never been to the USA. They are from Russia and I am not sure if they have ever left Russia at all.

They are coming to the USA to visit their daughter who migrated here when she was 20.

So they are in their mid 50's i would think.

I was thinking a copy of Born in the USA

Thanks so much to all.

- A lotto ticket for one of the multi-state lotteries (powerball.com or megamillions.com)

- One of each bill (old and new designs) 1, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 and coins: 5, 10, 25, 50

- Prepaid Visa Card with money on it for the trip.

- MagicJack USB phone connection

(program it with a USA phone number then send it in the box out of the country. Plug it into the computer in the other country and you can make "local" calls to/from the parents and daughter. One of my coworkers prepared one and sent it to her family in Ecuador. They really like it)

- can of Pringles - they pack well and are great for the flight, while stuck on the tarmac (said from experience)

Edited by Samrc