Hosting Without Changing Dns

osm

Hello TCH,

I came along your hosting, and am interested for a hostingplan.

However I dont want to change my webhosting and domainnaime.....yet

Is it possible to buy a simple plan for $44,- a year and point a subdomain-redirector to the new site?

and what would be the adress? s.o. like serverip/~blablabla ?

Hope to hear from you,

Greetings,

OSM

Hello Lisa,

Thanks for the fast reply,

What I ment is that the domain name stays www.domain.nl

which is hosted in Holland and stays there. DNS stays at ns1.by004.net

I want to set up a blablabla.domain.nl with a frame page pointing to serverip/~blablabla which is the site that would be hosted by TCH.

The site would have no dns or domainname pointing to it.

Thanks,

OSM

You need to enter a domain name to purchase hosting I believe.

Since you own a domain name you can use it. No DNS changes will be made to your current domain name. You control the DNS entries.

So what your asking is possible.

Edited by TCH-Bruce

• 4 weeks later...

ehm...maybe there is a problem about buying a package without changing the domain DNS. I got my new account with TCH and before changing the DNS I was testing it a little (My actual web hosting plan has regular download interruptions). So I needed to see the log files.

But I just discovered that until i change the DNS the 'raw access logs' is empty and also the bandwidth in the control panel is always 0. I really wish that ALL the traffic to my site is logged (even in the future), and about the bandwidth.......hey i just found an easy way to use more bandwidth than the one available for my account :)

But I just discovered that until i change the DNS the 'raw access logs' is empty and also the bandwidth in the control panel is always 0. I really wish that ALL the traffic to my site is logged (even in the future), and about the bandwidth.......hey i just found an easy way to use more bandwidth than the one available for my account  :)

Just to be clear, accessing the site by using the IP address does not log the access to your logs that are visible in CPanel. There is a log available to the techs to view access. Using the IP address as given in your Welcome Email to access the site is intended to provide a way to upload the site and test some before propagation. It is not intended to be used on an ongoing basis and abuse of using the IP can result in suspension. In addition, some scripts will not work correctly before domain propagation or using the IP address.

Returning to the original question, you do not have to use our DNS. If you use enternal DNS you should have them set an A record for your domain/subdomain etc. using the IP address only and not use a redirect to http://IPAddress/~username so that calls to the domain will be directed here. If you have any questions on this please open a Help Desk ticket using the link at the top of this page and include full details on what you want to do so that we can advise.

It seems that the community here said to osm that he can use the serverip/~blabla address.

I want to set up a blablabla.domain.nl with a frame page pointing to serverip/~blablabla which is the site that would be hosted by TCH.

The site would have no dns or domainname pointing to it.

My personal request was to have the 'raw logs' even when accessed with direct ip (while i'm testing the account) and the help desk told me (before i made my posts here) that this is not possible.

So I only exposed a possible problem of using only the serverip/~blablabla address. I wrote this to help the community/TCH and I never wanted to steal the bandwidth or get my account suspended. My previous post about bandwidth was wrote with a sense of humour.

I'm sorry to receive from Rick a somewhat strong answer.... it's not a nice welcome feeling....

I'm sorry that you saw my response as strong. I did not mean to imply that you meant to steal bandwidth, I only wanted folks that would read your reply to understand that the IP address manner of accessing the site is not intended to be used permanently and to clarify things for the original question in this thread.