Email Spoofers...program By Microsoft

Well,

I was frustrated by spam, so with a little help from this forum and a few of the members and moderators, I found out how to determine where email was originated from. Especially from emails which spoofed the emails to appear as if they came from us.

Well...I wrote the Hosting company which hosted a "block" of addresses and have, since, received VOLUMES of spoofed spam. What is one to think???

Anyway, I came across a "solution?" that is offered by microsoft and I wonder if it

will work and in what ways? I "think" I understand it, but I am sure one of you can better determine if it will help me and others from the "spoofing" of our email addresses.

Would some of you mind going to this URL and seeing if it really works?

http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/twc/privac...m_callerid.mspx

Thanks for everyone's help. I HOPE this works!!

Terry Rock Sign

Hosted e-mail. Many smaller organizations use the services of a “hoster” to provide e-mail and Web presence. In this case, you may need to ask your hosting service administrator to create the necessary e-mail policy documents for you.

Replace the domain name in the <indirect> element with the appropriate domain name for your situation.

<ep xmlns=‘http://ms.net/1’><out><m> <indirect>contoso.com</indirect> </m></out></ep>

• If you send e-mail via your hoster’s outbound e-mail servers (which is most likely the case if you read and write e-mail using a Web browser), enter the domain name of the hoster in the <indirect> element. This indicates that your hoster’s outbound e-mail servers are allowed to send e-mail on behalf of your domain.

• If you send e-mail via your ISP’s e-mail servers rather than your hoster’s e-mail servers (this is most likely the case if you read and write e-mail using a program such as Microsoft Outlook Express, Microsoft Office Outlook, or Qualcomm Eudora), enter the domain name of the ISP in the <indirect> element. This indicates that your ISP’s outbound e-mail servers are allowed to send e-mail on behalf of your domain.

This would be difficult to implement across some 70 servers as well as new ones as they come aboard. We would also have to know if all of our clients are using their domains SMTP servers or those of their ISP. This doesn't count resellers that would have to get the information from their clients and pass that information on to us.

I can not see this being implemented at this time.

Identify the e-mail servers that transmit outbound e-mail and their IP addresses for all the

domains and subdomains in your organization. You will need to publish an e-mail policy

document for each of them."

This is not something that could be done on our servers. For a single server with a single domain it wouldn't be to hard. But with in excess of 20,000 domains and god only knows how many subdomains, parked domains etc there are it would be impossible to implement this on our servers.

Sorry folks...

I have always been very impressed with TCH and all the effort that is put into keeping things running smoothly.

I know "just enough" about certain things to keep getting myself in trouble. By that, I mean that, I somehow thought it might be a program that each person could have on his/her site which would prevent the spoofing. Had I known that it had to have been done by TCH, I wouldn't have written. I have all reason to believe, that with all the trouble that spam and spoofing must be causing, if there was any feasible way to have something done, it would have already been done.

Sooo....I acknowledge my over-zealous error and will, now, try to gracefully go back to my blissful existence.

Again, thanks for the quick and knowledgeable responses.

As always, Rock Sign

Terry

No need to apologize Terry. I WISH this was something we could easily put in place. Spoofing is one of the most common spammer tactics and also one of the hardest to fight AND explain to someone that isn't very knowledgeable about how e-mail works.

lol Rob, why not take a picture of your snake wrapped around ur neck? With that green skin it would cover up your TCH, but o'well lol.

:dance: I use my email accounts in the Outlook Express thingy, never knew I could add all my accounts and get all the mail at one time. :) And all the spam is sent to the Norton Anti-Spam folder and deleted all at one time :P lol.

~Alan

Hi,

may be a e-mail server which maintains a remote list of spammers which is updated in real time could be help for such issues.

This might be possible in coming days, when spammers feel scared before spoofing email ID's, no one publish his ID over internet to get loads of such stuff.

How does one deal with this spoofing thing?

I have nearly 60,000 yes THOUSAND..... emails that are in my default folder for one of the domains I have.. I have no idea how to combat this.. people use different combinations of email addresses and the bouncebacks and spam seem to come to the default domain mail folder.

I am at my wits end with this kind of stuff.

What can I do to try to limit this happening? I seem to get a lot of this on several domains.

Help!

Nat

Hi Nat,

Make sure that you have the default address, for all unrouted email, set to :blackhole: then all the junk mail to random addresses on your domain will dissapear.

This setting is in the mail section of Cpanel.

Just figured that out!

Whooo hooo. If this solves my problem I am ONE HELLA happy webgyrl!

LOL

Good idea, time for a nap.

Yes, Rob, it's off to the couch for you! :whip:

Ah, do what you will with your trowel, as for me I'll take a dibble and a bag of grass any day! :o

That's a really, really great graphic in your sig Nat! Did you build it yourself?

Yes, her sig is great, but have you heard her voice? Beautiful..... :o

Yes I have - I agree!

Any rain down your end of the state today? We've got it up here so no playing with the dibble or grass clippings today, oh well, Rome wasn't mulched in a day, LOL. Now, if I could only find a source for sawdust I might actually conquer this clay soil of mine!

Yes, we got some rain last evening and overnight (1.25" in my rain gauge). The pre-rain lightning show was incredible and I got a couple good pics with my digital camera. Unfortunately, in my old age, my reflexes aren't as fast as they used to be. :)

Have you tried a slow exposure on a tripod?

sometimes you get a couple of them together.

I was eager and impatient........ The tripod was in the pooter room..... B)