Changing Registrars (slightly Confused Question:)

llama_thumper

Recently my domain expired and I had to renew it. My registrar wrote me saying this:

"Because your domain expired, and you have renewed today means that you must allow up to 72 hours for our system to restore the domain and repropogate the nameservers before your services will start working.

Finally, you do not seem to have any services associated with this domain (with us) so my guess is that since you are not using our nameservers and since the 72 hour propgation time is not yet met, your (external) service providers will not start working until the nameservers have propogated for this domain. If there is a problem after 72+ hours, please contact us."

Does this mean that if i transferred my domain to totalchoice, I wouldnt have to wait 72h, in case it did accidentally expire and I renewed it?

Thanks,

Piotr

Hi,

If you had transferred, it would have taken you about 4 days to transfer the domain to us, and then another 72 hours to propgate through the net as your changing nameservers. The 72 hours is unavoidable when changing nameserves, no matter where and who you are in the world.

Jim

Edited by Jimuni

The 72 hours would still apply, If you changed your DNS to TotalChoices DNS severs tonight it would take up to three days for the change to propigate through the internet.

What the DNS server does is tell the surfer where your site is basicly. What the propigation time is, is the time it takes for the ISP's all over the world to update their DNS records. Some ISP's update more often than others, so it's not uncommon for a person on the west coast to see a site, while a person that is on the east coast still cant see it.

Any time you change DNS records, it takes up to 72 hours to propigate across the internet.

Sooooo that being said, if you change it to your registrars DNS it's going to take 72 hours to propigate, if you change it to TotalChoices DNS it's going to take 72 hours to propigate.

Ahem ....cracking knuckles.....

Though this may not have been a part of the question at hand, the transfer would only have worked if you had transfered the domain at least 10 days before it had expired.

After a domain expires it will go into a grace period with the current registrar. You have3 two chopices, renew or wait. If you wait out the grace period (30 days or so depending on the registrar) and it is a .com or .net then it hits a redemption period. This is about 30 days, you can get it back but at an inflated price. Then it is released to the wild.

SHould you have renewed after the expiration most registrars will require you to wait at least 60 days before you can transfer the domain to another registrar.

Just extra info for those that might want to know.

Rob

It seems that you are on top of Transferring Domain Names.

I have a question about transferring a Domain Name of mine to Total Choice Hosting.

A Domain Name of mine comes due November 27,2003.

I cannot transfer the name, because the present registrar is saying that my Domain name is "Locked and on Hold"

Below is and an answer that I received from my present registrar,

"We will only be able to release the domain name registration lock after it

has expired."

I have paid the transfer fee to TCH and they are telling me that they cannot do anything and that I have 22 days left to straighten out the problem with my present registrar, after that period I will have to try and retransfer the domain name.

Below is the message that I received from TCH,

"Please note that your domain transfer will be active for another 22 days. Domain transfers stay active for 30 days. Your domain transfer was purchased on 9-3-03. I would recommend finding out when the lock will expire so that we can determine if the transfer will need to be repurchased.

There has to be a way to solve the problem, do you have any suggestions.

I was also thinking about having TCH host my domain name.

But, that now looks like it won't happen.

Thanks for any help.

Richard

thanks for all the replies, but maybe i didnt phrase the question correctly.

ASSUMING i was with TCH, and the domain name expired and i had to renew it, would the 72h propagation still need to be done?

my second question is about this board: i have frequently posted about this but someone always tells me the board is "fixed": the facts are that I never get topic reply notifications in my email, despite that option being set....

HELP!

Llama,

It depends on how long it has been expired really. You get a few chances to get things caught up I believe. I do believe there are a few instances that on the day after expiration the page is parked then and there. I have also seen where they will make 3 attempts at billing the name and then it is parked. No matter what though, if it is parked you will have to wait the 72 hours because the name servers are changed.

That is where the 72 hours comes in.

Take note, just because it is the day after or the week after your domain has expired doesn't mean that you can pay up and get the expiration to be a year from the time you renewed. It will be from the date of expiration.

Hope that clears things up.

Richard,

Get your domain unlocked?

Rob

I think, everything is pretty much squared away now, after about 30 E-mails to TCH, Resister.com, Webcountry.net and partnereu@register.com.

TCH is now saying that the HOLD/LOCK is released and that it will take about 5 to 7 days to firm up the transfer. I'll guess I'll have to wait and see.

Thanks for your help.

Richard

Richard,

Here is what to expect now. In 48 to 72 hours you will get an email from your losing registrar, register.com. Be on the lookout, many times it looks like a sales pitch at first. Read everything that comes from them all they way to the bottom. You get up to 72 hours to respond and many registrars hope you think the mail is spam so you delete it and the transfer will expire. After you respond the losing registrar will notify the registry of the change and then it will be handed over to TCH's registrar for completion. Please pay close attention to all email you get over the next week.

Rob

Thanks for the "Heads Up", as a matter of fact after you mentioned that, I just checked the mail I deleted in the last 24 hours, just to make sure that I didn't receive anything from them.

Talking about E-mail, I receive sporadic mail notification from this form, even though I have the "Receive Email Notification" function checked.

Is that par for the course, or am I missing something in the setup.

My primary email is with CompuServe and I thought perhaps, it may be their Spam filters working.

Probably if I used richard@rjskon.com and used Outlook Express to read my mail, I wouldn't have a problem. Maybe I'll try it.

Thanks

Richard

Rob,

"No matter what though, if it is parked you will have to wait the 72 hours because the name servers are changed."

That is what I'm focusing on and still dont understand, because the rest I do. Assuming i have my webhosting and domain registrar as one and the same company (both TCH), is there any difference in that situation (when its parked) to one where i have a different webhoster and a different registrar?

Does it take less than 72h to propagate?

To put it another way:

1. assuming my domain name gets parked;

2. assuming my webhosting is done by TCH;

does it make any difference who my registrar is? (TCH or another company?)= is there less of a propagation time because the name servers were set to TCH anyhow instead of back to dotster for example and then back to TCH once the domain gets renewed?

thanks,

piotr

ps are there problems with the board?

It does not matter who your domain registrar is, if the domain gets parked it will have a different IP address. When it is unparked it will revert back to the original IP address and propagation will take up to 72 hours. Any time the IP address changes it will take time to propagate.

As for the question about the notification from the board, I am not sure at this point. I will check on it in the meantime.