Unused Port Blocked

Samrc

I am receiving an error from the firewall every time I upload to my website. I have Norton personal firewall and have already set it to accept communication with my site so I could publish/ftp.

I posted an image of the error I get everytime. Can someone tell me why the server is trying to access my machine? Or what port I should assign, or something?? Thanks.

(hope I put this in the right area....)

-Samantha

post-33-1055287211_thumb.jpg

The ftp server is attempting to check your identd (port 113).. most windows machines dont have that service running (unless you use irc alot..)

Are you still able to upload? cuz the server should just timeout on the lookup, and continue on.. unless (which I really doubt) they have thier server setup to not allow identd connctions..

Yes, I do upload fine. But tend to lock up shortly afterwards while Norton deals with multiple instances of port blocking. If only TCH is knocking at the door, Norton does fine, but if another piece of crud is also knocking at the same time, Norton gets confused..

If most windows machines don't have this running, why is it asking for it on my machine? Should I allow port 113 to be open for that particular IP address always? I can set that easily, but would that leave me open in any way? I do not use IRC.

I am not comfortable with disable and enable. I don't know why, but I have some nights I get bombarded with trojans and other crud trying to get into the machine. I don't want to let someone in while I am uploading to the server. :) I wish the makers of those would find a better use of their time!

-Samantha

Sam, are you on a highspeed connection?

If so, then you seriously need to get a "real" firewall. Use a router! Even if it only connects to one machine, it's well worth the money.

Netgear 4port Cable/DSL router is at Amazon for like $36 after MIR. And it works, easy to setup and you won't have to deal with those jerks that try to get into your machine. Simply block all WAN requests and you're done. (CSB still publishes just dandy.)

Li :)

Hi,

I turn my router off at nights.

You could try using Zone Alarm which is not only free but I think is better then Norton. If you are getting bombarded with stuff, then I would not open ports you do not need too.

What Windows version are you running btw?

Jim

Yes I am on cable connection - Earthlink through local tv cable company.

When I upgraded from win95 I waited as long as possible so I could afford to upgrade. Unfortunately I upgraded to winME... not knowing it would be a such a mess :( (give me a break here please - it was brand new and said to be the latest and greatest...!) <_<

I went with a software firewall from Norton because I already had other Norton software and thought it might be more compatible, not because I am especially fond of Norton.

I like the idea of a hardware router. I'm not sure my wiring would accept one more piece of equipment plugged in without blowing a fuse...kinda got that room loaded and it's an older house.

If I upgrade to xp, my working scanner and printer will no longer be supported (have already gone online to verify it) and can't afford to upgrade several pieces at one time right now.

So ....suggestions about this error?

(Since when am I an advanced member....? Must be based on number of posts)

-Samantha

Hi,

Running ME is not a problem, its what I used to run and never had a problem with it.

I would get zonealarm. Its a free download and a free software package.

Then, when you want to upload, disable norton and enable zone alarm, then see what happens.

Jim

Samantha, I am on cable and use the free ZoneAlarm, and have no problem.

The first time I went to publish, it asked if it was ok for CSB to send to the internet,

I clicked remember and yes. And no problems since.

You will want to dissable Show alerts popup under the alerts window,

or it will be poping up a lot with cable. :(

Hey Sam, I also use ZoneAlarm and have never had any problems or errors while publishing with CSB or uploading something using FTP. Lianna is right about using a router. I have a Linksys 4 port router still in the box. I will get it setup one day but until I do ZoneAlarm works.

curtis

ok.....Installed Zone Alarm locked up. Head Bash Restarted. Disabled Norton. Tried to publish with CSB, locked up. Head Bash Restarted tried again....Now everything is working smoothly. Published 3 minor changes as tests and no problem! Thumbs Up

Anyway....THANK YOU so much for the input! Zone Alarm is the answer for now! I will run Norton during the day while I am at work as I am confident it has done a decent job of protecting...and disable while I publish with Zone Alarm on. I will look into a router for long term solution and hope the wiring can handle yet one more item.

-Samantha

Well...since adding Zone Alarm to my machine, I've had a CSB generated kernel error, and Norton's personal firewall is now not working at all. Mad!!! After I rebooted, I exited Zone Alarm to just run Norton for a while. I have no access to the internet at all with Norton - somehow it has gotten corrupted. I disabled Norton and turned on ZA so I am connected again.

I am debating whether it is worth reinstalling Nortoan's Personal FIrewall or not. Besides others, I have some special settings in there to stop my pc from contacting the manufacture everytime I go online. The manufacture site that is supposed to respond back with driver updates, etc is long gone and can't answer but my machine tries over and over again and if not blocked it interfers with other activities.

I also know what Norton is providing in the way of trojan blocking/stealth,etc.. I have alerts turned on (temporarily) so I can see ZA working. I am not sure of Zone Alarm's capability - does a FREE program really provide as much security as a paid-for subscription plan?

Any thoughts?

I am about to chuck this machine out the window and walk away from computers. Period. Head Bash

-Samantha

My problems are temporarily resolved it seems. :D

I uninstalled my paid-for subscription Norton Personal Firewall and I am running the free Zone Alarm firewall. Have rebooted 4 times, republished the last 3 CSB tlx files I blued on and the one I kerneled on last night... Still running fine. Seems the firewall program itself was corrupted. Decided not to reinstall Norton. I am at a renewal for my Norton Antivirus too. Gotta decide if I will keep it or go with something else. ;)

I have it set to Medium right now.

I am thrilled to have found TCH and this forum. Rock Sign If I hadn't come here when I did, I would have had no protection when Norton took it's last breath. When I first posted, I had no concept that the firewall program itself might be corrupted. But it definitely was!

But now on Zone Alarm, I'm running smoothly again, no lockups, no Blue Screens. What a relief to hear that others use it with success. Should I consider upgrading to Pro to replace my Norton Antivirus too? It's up for renewal in 16 days. (not 15 LOL).

Oscar Says HI.

-Samantha

I've no experience with it and like my bretheren turtle friend above me would normally say yes. I've heard pros and cons to both products, but you're always going to, right? You have a couple weeks, think on it.

Oscar is the Tiger (if I recall)?? Hi ! ;)

Yes Oscar it the tiger, the mouthy, demanding one that just loves to be held or have the feather tossed for him.

I may just renew the same version of the antivirus I have now for another year and not upgrade or switch. After a day like today, just maintaining is better than taking a chance that I miahgt get a bad version of a product.

Thanks so much for the input!

-Samantha

Can't move just now. Si is on my lap now. Have to type with only one hand for a few minutes. When she gets up, I'll give them all a little laxatone.....yummy treat! And I'll say it was from you.

-Samantha

My two cents (which may be worth zip in the exchange rate, but...):

AVG Antivirus - FREE Edition has proven itself over and over again for me and many of my clients. Sam, try it out in combo with your current version if you're concerned at all.

Not to start a bashing session, but every single experience that I have had with Norton and Norton products has been a complete disaster. I once spent 9 hours fixing my Dad's pc after Norton SystemWork *fixed* it. McAfee was my pick until their online subscription services updates kept locking up my pc and then double charged me after I cancelled service.

(stepping down off the box now)

:lol:

I have the Norton Antivirus program.

I like it, but the last time I renewed the annual pattern, it was shall I say not the best experiance. It updated the program also. Then it would try to stay connected to the internet all the time, and me with a dial-up at the time :D

Their web site said they had heard of this, but could not duplicate it, followed by about 500 customers that had been able to :P

Their advice was to dissable connect to the internet?????

I had to reinstall the last back up of the Norton folder.

SystemWorks: A friend said it was great. I tried it,

it slowed my system down so much, and hung up a lot.

To be fair, Norton has alway been a good product, so it may be my older hardware and 98se.

I may try AVG next time, thanks Lianna :)

Someone from the Globalscape (CuteSite Builder) forums had turned me onto AVG. I have it running on 95, 98, 98se, Me, XP, and 2000 machines. Those machines run everything from IE4 to 6sp2, Netscape 4.2 and higher, Outlook Express 5 and higher, dialup, satellite and DSL.

Automatically updates the reference files (on a schedule that you setup). Mine is set to check for updates when the current reference file is older than 1 day. I have yet to have a machine get a virus that couldn't be detained by AVG, nor have any of these machines locked up while using it. It's a clean little product and free to US/UK residents. I'm not postitive, but I think the other European countries and others must pay for the product....even so, it's comparable to Norton and McAfee in the $40 range.

I also have the NetAdmin version running on a network (small: server, 11 client pcs) and it's a great product too for the sys admin to ensure updates are done and to view things like last scan on each pc, vaulted (contained) viruses on each pc, etc. And again very reasonably priced.

Just my experience and wanted to share.

:P

I just downloaded Zone Alarm the other day... It's so surprising how many times unknown access occurs.. :D . In just 3 days 396 access attempts have been blocked by Zone Alarm.

I just went to that website and tested my computer.. Just like yours, Turtle... complete Stealth :P

Edited by cmuskett

Thanks, Lianna, for mentioning AVG and your experience with it. I'm currently using Norton AntiVirus quite successfully on my W2K machine, but I do make recommendations to friends and I'll have to renew (or not :P) my subscription someday. This looks very interesting.

I went out and checked AVG's web site. Regarding your comment

It's ... free to US/UK residents. I'm not positive, but I think the other European countries and others must pay for the product
they note about AVG 6.0 Free Edition:
New - AVG Free edition is now available for all single home and non-commercial end users Worldwide!

Until I get a router I will continue on Zone Alarm on home machine. Seemed to work well yesterday.

Had one question though about it. I left my machine running unattended all day. I use PC Anywhere to connect from the office throughout the day. ZA says the autolock function should be turned on if the machine is unattended. But when I have it turned on, I can't access either direction with PC Anywhere.

I set the two machines IP into the TRUSTED zone. For the program settings, PC Anywhere has: two green check marks under access, a green checkmark under server trusted, a red x on block internet server. I tried putting a passkey on too to override the lock but it didn't help. Still no connection.

Which setting is wrong. And by not having the lock engaged, and machine unattended, am I inviting trouble?

(I wish you could see what I see....my cursor on this office machine is twitching/stuttering...strange! Almost looks nervous.)

-Samantha

Samantha, I think if you move both the security levels up to high (local and internet), you will be safe.

ZoneAlarm's autolock will only let passlock programs on your computer connect, but I can't help on the pc anywhere, maybe some else can.

If you try the link to Shields Up, I think you will feel better about zone alarm.

some recommend both software and hardware.

I am online with email whenever I am home, and since ZoneAlarm, no problem. :blink:

I have visited Shields Up several times on several machines. Nice site to check system. I have to first clear the cache before I visit again n that machine. Will do it when I get home.

-Samantha