Design Help

welshwizard

Can someone help me with 3 things? :

1 At the moment, I have .mp3 files on my site that have to be "right-clicked" to download, how can I make them automatically download with a "Left-Click"?

2 How do I password individual pages rather than folders in my ***** webspace? (I think it has something to do with my .htaccess or something)

3 How on earth do I get the webstats thingy to work? Whenever I click on it I get nothing !!! Does it require any setup?

TIA for any help :blink:

Can you give me a url to go look at the mp3 question? You could create a link to the mp3 file. Most browsers then would initiate a saveas/open dialog when clicked. Like this:

Click here to download Popup Stopper (Freeware)

Where the link code looks like this:

>[URL=http://stoverdatasystems.com/HTMLobj-560/PopStop.zip]Click here to download Popup Stopper (Freeware)[/URL]

See how I give the EXACT path to the file for the link?

Next question is password protecting individual pages...You can easily accomplish this with a number of javascripts, etc. that are available. Checkout DynamicDrive and search for "password protected pages". Some do involve htaccess, but not all and there are simpler ways, although not un-hackable.

Third, your webstats should be working if your site, by domain name, has been available for more than 24 hours. Else, are you actually selecting the FTP Stats? That is buggy and doesn't work. So, be patient if you're inside 24 hours online at SNH or turn in a help desk ticket otherwise. The guys will get you lined out in no time.

Lianna

Hi,

Thisis the second time I have posted this - where did the first one go?

Here is the link you requested, but I'll think you'll find that the page will not be available.

http://66.246.35.30/~dtjames/The_Prayer.mp3

Also, whenever I try to look at my webalizer stats, I get nothing at all other than a blank page. What do I nee to do to set it up properly?

Is there a forum to shoe me how to use the .htaccess way of protecting pages - and I do mean pages NOT folders?

Finally, as a Brit, it is nice to be here and to receive commendation for doing so. Unfortunately, SNH cannot host my domain name (which is why I have had to use the IP address) and I am finding it difficult to get help quickly. I am hoping to get setup perfectly for the Christmas period.

Thanks again,

WW.

webalizer stats did not work for me, until my site had been up for about four days, but after the domain name switched over, WOW!

The amount of information is amazing!

You do not have to do anything, just give it time.

Who is the singer on the MP3, very nice.

Welcome to SNH :D

Welsh-

Please explain why we cant host your domain.

We can host .co.uk without any issues at all.

Now, we can not register the domain name, thats different. We can not register out of country domain names. But why dont you just choose a different registra and then point the DNS to our servers?

Our average response time on support issues is under 2 hours. Sometimes a bit longer depending on the issues.

Just post back what the problem is and watch how fast our team of gurus get it fixed. That much I can 100% promise. We have the fastest support in the biz. Bottom line is that we are very proud of that. However, if someone submits a priority level5 ticket we dont try to answer that as fast a level1 ticket. I hope you understand that.

Fantastic response all - thx :D

However, the link is alive - turtle got it !

I have registered the domain name with a company here in the UK that does NOT support DNS pointing ! How bad is that ?

I looked into transferring it, but you told me that it could not be done - is this really the case as I would like to transfer it now - to SNH!

I also have the problem of the URLs being masked, so every time someone refreshes a page, they end up back at the index !

Please tell me how I can transfer the domain name. Can I give it up and re-register it? How long would this take?

Is the Webalizer problem to do with the URL name being masked?

BTW, the singer is a lad that I teach music - Tim Pearce - and I worte the song - glad you like it :lol:

Thanks - keep up the TOP support - I feel like I have new friends.

Go to Verisign and transfer the domain to them. Once the transfer is complete then you will be able to point the DNS to *****. The transfer cost is $15 and includes a one year renewal/extension, too.

Here is Verisign's address for transfer:

http://www.netsol.com/en_US/name-it/cra-mu...ckid=1000000000

If you need any help with that, just yell. I should be around most of the day.

Lianna

Ahhhh I see said the blind man to the deaf man (geeesh how politically incorrect was that?)

Good suggestion lstover.

We just cant register uk TLD's. (top level domains)

Transfers are funny. It depends on your current registra.

Are you sure they can not repoint the DNS? Never heard of that one before.

Webalizer WILL NOT WORK until your domain name is propogated, otherwise your stats would be for everybody on that shared IP address. Imagine those stats. Hmmm .. nothanks

I am with 1and1.co.uk at the moment - this WILL change

www.welsh-wizard.co.uk is the name of the domain, and the problem with transferring was the IPS tag or something.

Typically, no-one tells me anything about this b4 I sign up !

The link does not left-click for me - is it my browswer settings perhaps? - I HAVE to right-click and Save as...

Can ppl check this once more for me please? - I will check out my browswer settings if this is the case.

Ok, if you go to this page:

http://1and1.co.uk/

and scroll about half way down on the right, do you see where you can login? Enter your domain name (without the www.) and then the password that you should have been given when originally sigining up for the domain. (That may or maynot be different than your hosting account password...)

See if you can get logged in. If so, is there an option to "Manage DNS" or something to that effect? If so, that's where you want to go to enter the new dns server names that ***** gave you in your welcome letter.

I don't have access to the login without your password or having a domain registered through that company. If you would like to email me the specific info, I will happily check it out and see if there is indeed a way to change the DNS servers without having to transfer the domain to another registrar. Up to you.

According to an entry in the discussion forums for that registrar, you CAN change your name servers from within the domain control panel:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&....btinternet.com

And, here's another one of interest:

http://forums.uk2.net/showthread.php?s=f7a...&threadid=20894

Lianna

Someone is pulling your leg.

This is directly from the site of the registra

http://help.uk2.net/faq/dnsmanagement/thed...ictsitself.html

I would become irate with these befooooooons.

What kinda registra is this that can not perform DNS updates, thats utterly impossible. Tell them you wont accept that for an answer, tell them you want to know how to do this.

From what I've read on the 1and1 site, YES. It seems 1and1 IS uk2.

Were you ever given a password for your domain management?

If so, would you like to email it to me? I will offer again, to happily check this out and write step-by-step directions of how to change your DNS servers. I will NOT change anything! That's not what i do. I will find the answer for you and give the directions to you so that YOU can do it.

Again, your call, but at the very least the 1and1 guys need a good yelling at.

Lianna

I am never offended by anyone that protects themself! Just an offer.

Per hosting a different domain name: I don't think that will be a problem at all. Just drop a helpdesk ticket with all the details of the new domain name, etc.

Since spitwad is providing such "rockin" support today, I'm pretty sure he can get you fixed up.

So how'd you fix the right-click thing?

Lianna

Atop this forum it shows "Logged in as : welshwizard (Your Control Panel | ..." etc.

Click the Your Control Panel link and then click Avatar Settings from the left menu. You can choose one that's already here or upload or link to an avatar (piccie thingy).

:lol:

Lianna