Alternate Smtp Port

Hi,

Sorry if this is a FAQ. I thought I would search and find lots of traffic on this, but didn't. I found one reference to using port 26 in a thread, but I've tried that and the connection was rejected. This is the message in Outlook Express:

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'Default TCH account', Server: 'server31.totalchoicehosting.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 26, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

Also, I thought enabling the check boxes in Accounts->Mail->Advanced for SSL would mean the traffic was sent over port 443, but by default smtp still goes out on 25, POP3 on 110 (although that changes to 995 when you check the box).

Obviously this is going to be an issue more and more. At work we will begin blocking all outbound smtp traffic not going to our own mail server. ISPs are starting to do this as well.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

I am not aware that SSL enabled transmission is setup for port 26. In fact, it is not needed for either of the ports mentioned. You only need to make sure that you have told your email client that "My Server Uses Authentication" and that is is told to use the same information as your login info.

Thank for the replies guys, I might be missing something, but bear with me....

I need to use a port other than 25 (26 is fine), and I don't want to send my login details in plaintext. When you say:

In fact, it is not needed for either of the ports mentioned. You only need to make sure that you have told your email client that "My Server Uses Authentication"

does this mean that Server Authentication encrypts the username/password?

Mark

Hi Mark.

I'm quite sure "Server Authentication" only means that you need to send a username and password to be able to send e-mail.

What you want is a different thing, you want to encrypt that username and password so they are not transmited in plain text over the internet.

I'm not sure if that is enabled for port 26 but I'll check that for you and will let you know.

If you're in a hurry, you can also submit a help desk ticket.

Edited by TCH-Raul

Hi guys,

sorry about this obvious question but does that mean that in order to send email messages using a securised connection (encrypted with SSL) to my smtp server, I just have to put the setting in Outlook behind the mail account settings with "This server requires an encrypted connexion" ticked on and specifying to use the port 465?

For instance, I've got my account hosted at TCH, let's say www.myaccount.com

The POP3 and SMTP servers are both mail.myaccount.com. May I just set the parameters as stated before and I'll be using encrypted connexion to the SMTP server? By the way can I deny non authorized connexion to the server (connexion with valid email address/password)?

thanks for your help guys!

• 3 years later...

I just want to let you know this thread is still very helpful. I was playing with SQL 2005 database mail and could not get it to work until I dumped the scbglobal.net smtp and started using port 26 and tch smtp. Port 465 works greate for outlook 2007 just make sure that you select BOTH the SSL checkbox and SSL dropdown - that's good old uncle bill for you.

Thanks much!