Holy Spam, Batman!

LunarMagic

In the last few days I am getting completely buried in spam. I configured my Spam Assassin to be tighter than the default, and had it down to only a few spam a day... I just downloaded 40 spam this morning! I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this flood, or did someone sign me up for spam or what... wah.

(And these are all legitimately getting past Spam Assassin... they're text messages, nothing to really differentiate them from normal messages except their content)

Mad!!!

I've seen a bit more spam getting through my default SpamAssassin setup lately as well. Fortunately the majority of those are still being caught by my SpamSieve (mac) on the client side.

It looks like just the usual spammers working diligently to make their messages harder to filter.

K9 (http://keir.net/k9.html) is an email spam blocker (Windows only sorry) that uses Bayes filtering to identify what you consider to be spam. It does pretty well on it's own when first installed and as you reclassify what it let come in as good to spam it remembers and marks new email that meets your criteria.

It works great except that you have to download your email with a pop3 client to use it. It sits between your email program and the server.

I've been using it for about eight months now and it was working at 97.5% efficiency until I turned on Spam Assassin. Now it is working at 99.995% on the ones that Spam Assassin isn't catching.

My email is so easy to manage now. :P

I found it exciting ... but only minutely because of the "Windows Only" requirement. Oh well. There's probably something similar for the Linux crowd.

At least my machne stays up to read e-mail now! :P

I'll keep a look out for this type of product. It sounds like this onemight be a good product for my Win clients.

I found it exciting ... but only minutely because of the "Windows Only" requirement.  Oh well.  There's probably something similar for the Linux crowd.

HCS: What email client are you using? Both Thunderbird and Evolution can be set up really easily to use bayesian filters like bogofilter. Lately, however, even my bogofilter-Evolution pair is letting a lot of stuff through, thanks to the random spacing and garbage characters the spammers are inserting. Worth a try, still.

Bruce - do you ever find it filtering legitimate e-mails?

Which? Spam Assassin or K9?

Spam Assassin - not anymore. It was filtering my web forms but I created a rule in the user_prefs file to knock off 5 points for MSGID_FROM_MTA_SHORT for a specific subject.

K9 will filter some good email until it is trained the way you want it. I whitelist the good email addresses that it catches. But it hasn't filtered any good email in months.