I'm curious what you folks here think about this. I've seen other places go on about it but honestly I value the opinion of you guys over almost everywhere else I've been for web-related things.

There are two camps of thought about a single-employee web design business. One is that if you put "I" on the web site when talking about your web design business the potential clients will think you are small potatos and look elsewhere.

The other is that if you say "we" and they end up only talking to one person then they will think you are a "scammer" or a "BS artist" which is probably worse than the first case.

Also, the clients for a small business that's not yet "gone big" will probably be businesses that want small potatos and the prices they charge so there is another thing to consider. If I blow myself up to be a big company would the little fishing charter boats and small businesses of Key West think I'm outside their range and never contact me? (I'm not limiting myself to these types of clients but that is what I see being most prevalent for me now.)

So what do you think? "WE" or "I"?

I wondered about the same thing! I decided to go with we because there is someone who helps me with some things...sometimes. Like, paperwork related stuff! I wanted to seem a little bit bigger than a one-man show, but still offer that small business feel. So, I'm trying to work that part of it into how I present the company -- both on the website and with the first contact. I also explain that I have great resources...like TCH!!!

I think the large businesses are going to look at the websites you've done way before they'll pay attention to whether you are an "I" or a "we". And the small businesses will pay attention to both of those things, plus the feeling they take away from your site.

Just my take on it...I've never had a business class or anything like that!

Good day...I'm heading off to the mountains in a bit! woooot

Tracy

Tracy, hope you have a nice time in the mountains.

jim, you may want to consider another form,

instead of on your site when discussing what you can do for a client

I can develop....

or we can develop...

how about businessname can develop

or businessname will assist you....

That way you are honest, and if you add help or take on a freelancer,

it will be the same.

just a thought.

As someone who routinely hires people from websites and buys stuff from websites, I can tell you that I put way more stock into what the 'about' page than any pronouns.

I want to know who the person or people are behind the service or product. And I want complete information about where they are physically located and how to get a hold of them. It helps, too, if I can find out some personal stuff - like hobbies, interests, etc.

Often, I am only interested in 'small potatoes.' So truth counts. Just last week I needed a quick a dirty illustration for a technical paper. I did not want a 'we' place, I wanted a one person operation. Someone who was hungry and ready to move on a dime.

But, regardless of what need I have or what's on the rest of the site, if the 'about' page isn't complete, I pretty much move on. I don't think the 'I' or 'we' thing is a deal breaker.

My 2 sense :)

Wow, a busy Saturday morning on the ole forums! That's what I love about TCH - between the folks and the geography there's always answers available... but enough about that!

One thought that came to mind is that it's important to be consistent whatever I use.. one man or twenty as long as we're not psychopathic it's ok. :)

CM and Tracy mention we are not alone. I know in my "real life job" the support vendors we use are selected more on who they can draw from if it's a real stumper rather than how many folks are sitting around like the Maytag repair man waiting to jump on a problem. I wonder if the typical web design client appreciates the difference :P

Susandennis speaks to my own heart too - if it's not done with integrity and accountability then what use is it? There has to be a real person behind the thing and we gotta know who he/she is before giving out the credit card number. I'll have to work more on my about page!

Turtle - great idea! I'll have to see how that flows on my site because you bring a good point up about freelancers. If I get someone to do a logo, for instance since I'm artistically inept, am I presenting a lie to the client if I don't state that up front? I'd rather not even get into that - and using the business name is a good way to avoid any issues.

Thanks for the great input folks - I got some thinnin' do to Quicksdraw. It's all about opinions but I like the diversity and sanity (maturity) of the folks here! :hug:

Not to stray too far from the great advice given here.... TCH is a great support group that has answers beond the normal experience. Is it plausable to "capture" some of that experience in an honest "Co-op" sort of way" that stresses the single web artist backed by an extremly experienced mentor group?

(please don't flame me for this.... the more I think about the question, the less I like the thought of posting it, but I thought it was an interesting perspective to the original question....) :(

I like Tuttle's suggestion/solution Thumbs Up

Also enjoyed Susan's comments as well.

Questions/comments for Susan:

1. What is the average snowfall for Seattle... How magical is Seattle?

2. "In any other division, we'd be in the playoffs, but we play in the toughest division." Ryan Franklin

Is this whining?

3. What are your top three favorite reads? [i think you would enjoy Mutant Message Down Under by Marlo Morgan]

4. Why have you not added your site to our Extended Family - Personal Sites? :(

Ha! Ok... here you go...

1. What is the average snowfall for Seattle... How magical is Seattle?

Snowfall? Not nearly enough in my book. I live about 1/2 block from the salt water (i.e. sea level) and except for the occassional anomaly, I get maybe 3 flakes a year. BUT, I can sometimes see an inch or two on the hills out my window. Go 30 mins east and you will get much snow.

Magical?? Extremely, very, absolutely.

2. "In any other division, we'd be in the playoffs, but we play in the toughest division." Ryan Franklin

Yep. We have a requirement in all pitchers - you must first be a world class whiner. Jamie Moyer is the only one, really, who isn't. Pitchers are not my favorites.

3. What are your top three favorite reads? [i think you would enjoy Mutant Message Down Under by Marlo Morgan]

ohhhh this one is not easy. For the very best absolutely thrilling story - John Nance (Pandora's Clock), Greg Illes (Mortal Fear), anything at all by John Gilstrap and Steven Martin Cohen's Becker's Ring. I know, that's 4 but even at that, I'm leaving out some great stuff!

4. Why have you not added your site to our Extended Family - Personal Sites?

NGR (no good reason) Thumbs Up