Sign in to follow this  
greatfolios sysop

New Google Pr #'s

my pr in google just went up to a 4 (finaly, and I still have the list of changes to make that our Great SEO guru had reccomended....) can't wait for some free time to get those changes done.

Wheee!

Mr. Bill :Nerd:

Just remember that while search engine optimizations on a page will help your position in Google and others for a given key word, it does not change page rank. Page Rank, as misleading as the term is, is merely a complicated version of "How popular are you?"

Here's one explanation:

"In short PageRank is a “vote”, by all the other pages on the Web, about how important a page is. A link to a page counts as a vote of support. If there’s no link there’s no support (but it’s an abstention from voting rather than a vote against the page)."

Don't be disappointed if your PR doesn't change when you complete your optimizations. It will be time then to go get more links to your page from other sites - and the closer to your topic they are the more the vote counts.

Deverill has a very good point... PageRank (PR) is not synonymous with page rank.

There are many examples of sites with lower PR as compared to other sites but still rank higher in the search engine results. Meaning there is more to rank then just PR.

However, it is also true that a properly optimized site will have both high PR and top ranking. Meaning that if a site with higher PR actually ranks lower in the ranking pages, somebody has not done a good job.

I see a bar, not a number...

Place your mouse over the bar ;)

PageRank (PR) is not synonymous with page rank

Ok, I am still learning. I am sure that the number in that bar and my site more than doubling visitors is more than a coincidence right? By the way, doubling isnt that much to some of you, I went from just over 800 unique last month to over 1800 and have more than trippled sales so I am happy with it.

On a side note Scott, I do read what you write, I just do it at 2am so I have to read it a few more times to have it sink in. Ask HG, we have the same sleeping habits.

I will understand someday. It will probably be the same day my wife stops saying "Would you act your age?".

I went from just over 800 unique last month to over 1800 and have more than trippled sales so I am happy with it.

That's real great Rob! :D

Ok, I am still learning. I am sure that the number in that bar and my site more than doubling visitors is more than a coincidence right?

Yes, I would believe so. Check your stats though, it should confirm the 'association'. Look at your Google search leads... did they increase?

I would bet they did which would confirm that it is indeed more the coincidence. Also, check out which phrases were used... this will give you some idea how you might tweak your site in the future.

Good job Rob Thumbs Up

Scott,

If you are referring to the fact that I had 460 visitors from a Google link in the month of July and 1422 in August then the answer is yes.

No something I find interesting is that AWStats says my most common key phrase is a word yet ranks 8th most common out of the key words.

I thought a phrase was a series of 2 or more words, no? Also as a general rule of thumb just because that phrase is the most popular, if it does not represent my site as a whole do I still want to make those changes to my site? It is just a product that was searched for the most.

I was unclear when you were first talking about the increase in traffic that it was all do to Google. This shows that by no means was it a 'coincidence'. Thumbs Up

No something I find interesting is that AWStats says my most common key phrase is a word yet ranks 8th most common out of the key words.

Not sure I understand what you are saying here... sorry, a bit tired tonight.

Generally speaking, a phrase means more then one word. However, when we are talking of keyword phrases, you will have single words that are searched (e.g. hosting and web hosting are two keyword phrases).

It is interesting to evaluate what phrases are used by individuals who view your site. You have to be careful though. If your site is not optimized for a certain phrases then they may never appear in the logs. What if the 'best' phrases for your site fall under this category? You would never know that they were looking and they would never find you. Make sense?

It is this strange situation in which you have to determine what 'they' want as opposed to convincing them what the want (traditional marketing).

Read or reread Internet Marketing: Have things changed?. It really is a different ballgame and thus requires a different mind set.