Frustrated

camcole13

Ugh, ok, I am at the point of wondering why I am here and if I want to cancel or not...

I signed up for everything about a week or so ago. I am STILL trying to figure out what I am doing! The only thing that I have accomplished this far is changing my password (please hold the applause). Then I found out we can't change our username (which mine is just a bunch of jumbled words?)... Now I finally downloaded SmartFTP and can't even set it up to get my site on there... Pretty sad but I don't even know what my host name is, my path name and what user name and password to use! I feel like I have searched through all the "helps" but now it's like reading Chinese, my brain is fried. Maybe I know to little to be in here? I have my site pretty much designed (I just used Imageready and Dreamweaver); it's just the uploading part that I have ran into a brick wall.

I don't know if anyone can help but boy, do I need it!!

:blink: camcole13

Host: ftp.youtchdomain.com

User name: Those jumbled words/letters

Password: What ever you have

Path: public_html (Not using smartftp so I don't know if its this it asks for)

Port: 21

Should do the trick, otherwise let us know. :blink:

Hello camcole,

Sorry you're having so much trouble getting set up. Thomas wrote a pretty comprehensive tutorial for getting set up with FTP. You can find it here.

Short answer is that your hostname would be ftp.your-domain.com, path you can leave blank or use public_html (which is where your web-accessible files need to be), and your username and password are your cPanel username and password.

A week is too soon to give up. People are here to help, just ask the questions.

Thank you so much everyone! That was some quick replies!

My problem was the host name and path... I was entering everything BUT what you guys suggested... I now am connected to the site, so far so good. Now I will check things out on actually getting the files on there but at least I am connected! Thanks again! Don't worry, I won't give up! I guess a week of drooling and staring at the screen can drive you crazy! Should have asked earlier huh?

CC :blink:

Don't give up! Get hung up on something, let us know. You'll find this forum is a great resource and folks will help to point you in the right direction.

We were all new at some point, and I am new enough to remember those frustrations. It can be quite intimidating sometimes, but like others have said, use the family forums. We love to help.

I haven't had a chance to welcome you to the forums yet, so let me do that: Welcome to the forums!

Please, if you get stuck again, come back here for help. There are a lot of us here who what to help you be successful!! :blink: Good luck! :(

Yep can be frustrating but don't forget, most things come with Help in their software too. But everyone here has been a beginner and I continue to learn every day.

Welcome to TCH forums.

:clapping: CC, you are on the up road now.

Keep at it and soon you will be helping others.

And like everyone said, please ask your family here if you need anything,

we have all started at the beginning and learned as we go,

many times with the help of friends.

The fun part, is when we see our creations up on the web :)

Welcome to Totalchoicehosting Camcole,

Stick with it! Finding out what you can do and how is half the fun I reckon! Don't ever be embarrassed to ask questions or for help, its what we are all here for, no matter how small or petty you might think that question is!

See you around the forums!

JimE

CC: Everyone started taking baby steps. It's just that some have learned to run marathons a lot quicker than others. Create a folder to jot down notes of what you did to solve problems and other tidbits. Ask, ask, and ask! You have a whole family here to bounce questions off of. The only dumb one is the one you don't ask!

Update - index page is on - :)

Haven't had too much time to do much more to it but will mess more with it soon... Thanks for all the help and replies again. stevevan - good idea on the taking notes, I plan on doing that!

CC

• 3 months later...

I'm new as well and can't even access the cpanel! Chat isn't available. I need serious assistance. I am not a novice at sites although I am not a pro either. I need to get logged in to start my site. Also, I am told there are free templates to use but don't know where to access them.

Help!!! :)

To access your CPanel, you would enter in your browser https://www.your-web-site.com:2083/ and then enter your username and password that was part of your email. You don't say it, but if you just purchased the domain name, it could take up to 72 hours for the name to fully propogate worldwide.

If in doubt, you can always open a help desk ticket and they'll get you straightend out.

Regarding the templates, what is it you are looking for? Seeing as this thread referred to FTP program, there are several available as previously stated.