Questions Regarding Image Linking And Bandwidth

bigbear

Hello,

I've posted in this thread: http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/forums/i...showtopic=27465

What I need to know is TCH's policy on bandwidth usage and acceptable use of server resources.

I'm currently hosted with another company, but have used TCH before. Reason for leaving was because of web space. Current web host offers 50GB monthly bandwidth. To date, I've used up 10%, but my account was suspended there because they found out my site has been causing CPU overload.

I've been linking images from my Gallery to some forums which has high traffic - however, daily hits to those images are about 300MB at most.

My question to TCH are:

1. Are TCH's servers able to handle such load without causing any CPU overload?

2. Is the linking of images to forums acceptable, as long as bandwidth is within the monthly limit?

I find that linking of images overloading CPU a bit strange as paid services, or even free image hosting services, are able to handle the high volume of traffic. Any help is deeply appreciated.

Cheers,

Kenny

300MB per day is a drop in the bucket. No problem there as long as your account covers that much in a month.

Simply linking to a picture on TCH from another forum is fine and shouldn't cause any more bandwidth or CPU usage than people coming to your page at TCH directly.

It is strange they said you were hogging the CPU. Was there anything else there that could cause it? Do you have any scripts that could have gone rogue? Maybe they weren't reporting some kind of traffic in your usage but it cost CPU cycles, such as looking for non-existant files a bazillion times.

If you did have anything bogging down the CPU, of course TCH would limit you as well, but simple linked photos wouldn't do it.

Hi Deverill

Thanks for replying. They emailed me screenshots of my site's CPU usage, as high as 20%++. When I asked the reason for the high usage, they replied that it was due to frequently accessed image files.

I've already changed the settings in Gallery whereby low CPU usage will be used instead (some option in admin) but still faced CPU overload. Could it be due to web bots indexing my image files? Googlebot spent close to 2 hours on my site before my account was suspended.

Hope that TCH will give me a good answer - I hate to keep on changing web hosts. :offtopic:

Hello Bigbear,

I am surprised that pictures caused such a high CPU load, gallery does work the cpu, but not to that extent, infact your more likely to suffer from Latency then server cpu problems.

Google should not cause any problem, it seems to permantley live on my website so I would not worry about that.

As part of my website, I too have a gallery, and the overall website pulls about 400mb a day without upsetting the server.

So my overall reply is that you would be fine. If problems did occur, yes we would suspend your account just like any other customer, but we won't fob you off with such a reply as given to you by your previous hosters.

Any more questions, give us a shout

JimE

1. Are TCH's servers able to handle such load without causing any CPU overload?

Your numbers don't seem unreasonable to me. Especially if the bulk of your traffic is just pulling images off, not actually processing any scripts to view the images.

2. Is the linking of images to forums acceptable, as long as bandwidth is within the monthly limit?

Sure.

Apparently this is a problem with Gallery in some cases.

http://gallery.menalto.com/node/48799

I doubt it would be a problem on the TCH servers unless you are doing something very non-standard or they'd already be aware of it... but it's worth keeping an eye on.

One of the reasons I use Coppermine, another reason was when I did an upgrade to gallery2 the whole gallery went haywire as well. At least with Coppermine I can get the upgrade done, by just following the steps in the document.

Edited by flashram