Computers Are A Pain In The....

Samrc

Last night I spent HOURS trying to resolve 2 issues on my computer.

1) Photo program HANGS when opening, getting stuck, causing 100% cpu usage. tch_combonk.gif

After several uninstall/reinstall, photo program is resolved. All individual settings gone, but that is working again....Don't have any reason why there would have been a corruption in the exe execution but every now and then wacky stuff happens.

2) Intermittent connection to the web using my cable modem (ISP says they have been working in the area, but doubt that would be causing my problem)

Chat with them is like reading a SCRIPT. They obviously do not read before responding:

ME: I've rebooted pc and full reset of modem unplugged for 20 minutes after checking all cables for good connection. I've cleared my cache, cookies, run antivirus and antispyware program, no problems found and my Cable modem lights: PC steady, Cable flashing, data not lit. Is my cable modem the most likely culprit?

THEM: Have you cleared your temporary internet files?

THEM: Would recommend that you reset your modem, keeping it unplugged for at least 15 minutes.

:wallbash:

Why bother to type anything in if all the person on the other end will say is line by line what is on script without reading what has already been stated by the customer. And note that the chat did not have a lag time. Vernon's responses were input AFTER I would send my information. He received it but did not read it.

Still do not have a resolution to this headache, but will attack it again tonight when I get home.

Just wanted to say a word of KUDOS to the TCH staff and support that I have NEVER had that kind of responses from them. I have never come away from a PM or chat session with TCH folks and been as frustrated as I am with my ISP right this minute. Makes me really appreciate the support we get here!!!

tch_throwcom.gif

(ISP says they have been working in the area, but doubt that would be causing my problem)

Why do you doubt this? If you have had a good connection previously then this would explain the intermitant connections. I don't think its the modem. If it were the modem then it would not work, period.

I would wait till later and find out when they are finished working in the area. If they are done and you still have problems then you need to troubleshoot.

If your cabel modem data is not lit, then thats the problem, not your modem. Its most likely to be something on there side. Do a tracert to a known address regularly and watch where it drops out. That may be helpful.

With the photo program sounds like a corruption!

Glad to see its not just me that has days like that!

JimE

Last night I spent HOURS trying to resolve 2 issues on my computer.

1) Photo program HANGS when opening

2) Intermittent connection to the web using my cable modem

ME: my Cable modem lights: PC steady, Cable flashing, data not lit. Is my cable modem the most likely culprit?

Hi Sami,

Have you powered off your cable modem yet? lol Just kidding...

Seriously though, I think BOTH problems might be related to your cable connection. The key is "Cable Light Flashing" and "data not lit"

That's the first thing I look for now. Flashing CABLE light means you do not have an internet connection. Under normal operation (for almost all newer cable modems) the CABLE light should be on steady.

The data light blinks when data is transferred either from/to the net OR from/to your PC. If that light blinks that means something is talking to your modem.

Here is what I think may have happened: Your cable connection was down (company was "working on it") when you opened your photo program. When most of my photo programs first open they almost always "phone home" to check for updates. If the connection is down it appears to hang until a certain time-out period of as much as 2 minutes. (Seems like 2 hours though)

Something I find useful on windows machines is to add the Local Area Connection icon to the system tray. The front "monitor" flashing blue indicates my PC is sending data and the rear monitor blinking indicates my PC is receiving data. If that rear light doesn't go on that's when I check the cable modem.

To add the icon to your system tray open Network Connections in Control Panel. Look for "Local Area Connection" or what ever connection does NOT have a red X. Sometimes there are several connection types but only one applies to your cable connection.

When you find the right connection right click it and go to the General Tab.

Check the box at the bottom "Show icon in notification are when connected"

Don't change anything else and Click OK.

You should now see the dual monitor icon in the systray on your start bar. Any internet activity will be indicated by a monitor lighting up blue. Double click the icon for a status window.

Next time you open your photo program check to see if your internet activity increases. Keep in mind that other programs, especially anti-virus programs, also check for updates from time to time.

Good Luck, I'd like to know about the normal cable light operation for your modem. Steady or blinking when you have a working connection....

Now if the cable tech had read that line he would have known to check the connection to your modem.

If you don't have the appropriate lights on your modem, then it's not your computer. You can ask the cable company to check your modem from their end, whether your computer is connected to it or not makes no difference. They will see that it's not connected to their network, then the guy will put you on hold for five minutes, and then come back and tell you they are doing some work in your area and please be patient.

First let me say thank you to you folks for the moral support!

Being able to blow off steam a bit is great in itself. Had to wait till I got to work to do it.

Bill: Arby's is now serving Mountain Dew AND Dr. Pepper!!

Clarification: When I said (ISP says they have been working in the area, but doubt that would be causing my problem) I was trying to say that THEY SAID they doubt it would be causing my problem. My first thought last night when I could not get on was that the network is not stable tonight since my pc has been running like a dream. Then I tried to work with images and my world started to crumble.

Kevan: YES, I did power off my modem! LOL Thank you for asking.

When I get home tonight, I will look to see if I already have an icon or not and if not add one. Sounds like a good idea.

You are RIGHT on the mark about the photo program :). Now that you mention it, the older ones load without phoning home but this latest version has to check for updates! That did not even dawn on me!!! All my personal settings gone for no reason.( :) ) *sound of sobbing can be heard now

I did think of tracert but did not run one because I got distracted by the photo program problem. Should have stayed on the connection issue instead of trying to WORK. grumble mumble grumble.....

As to the modem lights, I often have a flashing cable or flashing data light. Not used to no data light!

2 - 3 times a week I come home and find that power has been out for short periods of time. All clocks in house display different times and the VCR used to have a clock that reset automatically and even it gave up on that function! LOL. I keep my computer and two tvs on UPS now so my basic settings are not lost...

The ISP is not the same company that has the CABLE. So now I will need to go back to Cable company to resolve connection issue....

They will see that it's not connected to their network, then the guy will put you on hold for five minutes, and then come back and tell you they are doing some work in your area and please be patient.

TIM....I dread calling because I know you are RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :naughty:

If you've been having power outages, it's worth a shot to disconnect the cable itself from the modem when you power down. Do a little voodo magic over it for about 60 seconds, then reconnect it and power up. If you haven't tried that already.

Tim, When I reset my modem, I disconnect all cables from it and leave it set aside for 15-20 minutes before I reconnect it all. Usually resolves modem difficulties. Even taught it to my 70yr+ neighbor that must reach her emails several times a day. I don't know any voodoo magic, but I do say a prayer when I reconnect! :) Wish I could twitch my nose like another Samantha.....

Tonight no problem with connection (now I've jinxed myself) and everything loads fine.

Constant cable light (for now), flashing data light.

SO relieved that I don't need to call the cable company tonight!!!

Opened the photo program (now sans personal settings on toolbar :naughty: ), and made sure the program no longer has auto update turned on! So next time I lose connection, I can still use the program!

Thanks for the suggestions and moral support. :)

What I have set up and what I recommend others do is to use a separate (2nd) power supply/surge protector and connect the cable modem and router to this one. When you have issues with connectivity its a simple matter of flipping one switch and waiting a minute or two and then turning it back on. This covers both possible problem areas and usually works. It also saves on excessive wear and tear on the connectors from being connected and disconnected repeatedly. It also just powers off those two pieces and the PC and monitor and other peripherals remain on.

Now a minute or two is alls thats necessary, 15-20 is lot of time and electricity should not take that long to leave from those units. I keep this switch up on the desk for easy access and I don't have to crawl around on the floor or under the desk :)

Of course, you could also use a 5-10 pound "alignment tool" on it! :) I wouldn't do a whole lot of good for the modem, but I'm sure it would make YOU feel better!

Edited by stevevan

Good idea. Already have my cpu & monitor on one, a tv/vcr on another in this room. Just have to come up with a way to plug in one more thing without blowing a breaker. So far, no prob...but one of these days...one too many pieces will do it. :) (45 year old house was not built to handle so much at one time.....)

I keep this switch up on the desk for easy access and I don't have to crawl around on the floor or under the desk
Ah... you know my setup!

Now a minute or two is alls thats necessary, 15-20 is lot of time and electricity should not take that long to leave from those units.

You are right. I used to do it for no more than 5 minutes but gradually built up to 15-20 because I usually take that opportunity to leave the room to check critters, locks, take out trash, bathroom break, etc. And besides, in my experience, some of these units work better after an extended off time. The one that my boss has will NOT release unless disconnected for at least 15 minutes. Maybe cause it's getting older and crankier and doesn't wake up as easily as it used to.

I also use a separate UPS for the cable modem and router. During certain times of the year here the power company switches something and the lights blink out at the same time every day for weeks. Just for a second but enough to change clocks, turn off the TV, etc.

That kind of power blink drives the router crazy and the cable modem to a lesser degree. The UPS on the modem and router cleared our connection problems up nicely.

Maybe cause it's getting older and crankier and doesn't wake up as easily as it used to.

I'm confused. Are you speaking of your boss or the modem?

Or, you could easily be describing me. :)

using a separate powerstrip and ups on the modem and router is a great idea. I have a separate power strip but it's plugged in to the smart 700 with the file server.