Password Protection?

buddingchef

I'm new to TCH and pretty new to most of the features in CPanel, although I know it's basic functions.

My site is an online cooking school and when people sign up they will all have a unique username and password. I need to make a (log-in) form that will allow my users to log into

the member area of the site after their membership fee is processed. Bravenet won't cut the mustard, because I don't think you can have a form with unique usernames and passwords.

You can only configure them on a gateway page with a common name and password.

Could someone please tell me what area of CPanel I need to go to to configure a form like this, or if there is even a spot there that will allow me to do this.

Thanks in advance

Deb

Thank you both for such a prompt reply. So far am very impressed with service and support here. I can make web pages till the cows come home, but am a bit out of my league with Perl/cgi, etc....since I've no idea what either of them are! :lol:

I've looked at free scripts that won't do what I need them to on different free script sites and

also found a free cgi script at http://www.ftls.org/en/ called WAccess but the config instructions go like:

Copy *.cgi and *.pl in your /cgi-bin/ directory.

Copy password.txt, *.html in your data directory

Make it executable, unix only (chmod a+rx *.cgi)

Make writable data file, unix only (chmod a+rw *.txt)

GULP! I'm assuming this stuff has to go into the respective folders in my site folders, but

I don't even know where to begin. Might have to think up something else for this!

I will certainly check out aMember though, looks like they have lots of goodies on their site.

Thanks again!

Deb

Hey Deb. Did you take a look at aMember?

to make a (log-in) form that will allow my users to log into the member area of the site after their membership fee is processed.

That's exactly what aMember does. Even to the extent that it handles the payment process and tracking as well or you can manually update a person's 'subscription'. Based on what you've said here, I have to say aMember is your better answer than the one that you listed. Also, it is FREE. You can purchase the Pro version for like $100 and get all the neat features that come with that, but the freebie one is fairly substantially built and has loads of features.

Is there a reason you see that you do not want to use it? Let me know. I'll happily get aMember installed on your site and help you set it up.

:lol:

Thanks Ty. I don't see that file in the unzipped stuff. Even did a Search on my computer but no go.

Lianna, I need help with this big time! lol No clue about SQL. I'm gathering I need

to upload it to my TC space but don't want to use the payment stuff, just as a standalone password program for my site. Any help would be most appreciated.

Should I email you...is there a charge, etc.?

Thanks again. Boy do I feel dumb on this one! ;)

D

Deb,

No problem! No charge. (Just to clarify, me, I, Lianna, am offering my help here, not TCH staff. Ok?)

Tell ya what, do you see the PM button below my post here? Click that and send me a Private Message. We can figure out there how to link up best and get this all squared away. Okie?

;)

Just wanted to say thank you again Lianna! You were a huge help yesterday, walking me through my aMember install.

I do have another question.

1. Do I make a join form page, as I had planned before and have it linked to a payment page on my domain or...do I have to do something more with aMember to have them populate my member database and accept my Paypal payments?

Was wondering how aMember will know when someone joins.

hehe.....told you I was a total dolt at this stuff!

The username and password I signed up to aMember with won't let me in. I wrote it down the other day but it won't work.

*YAY* Deb!

Sorry, I didn't mean to bail on your question. It was entirely too pretty a day yesterday to not be on the golf course! :huh: Did lousy, but had fun. Lost 5 good Nike balls, one to water, three to weeds and one to the neighboring course's hole 1! (Sounds worse than it is...only a fence separates the the fairway of our course #15 from the #1 green of the other course.) I have to get rid of that slice though! :(

Anyway, I'm really glad that you got it all figured out. Please let me know if I can be of any further help!

:lol:

No problem Lianna!

Golfing, eh? lol Well I don't golf but do appreciate a pretty day! It's raining cats and dogs here in Nova Scotia this morning, but what can you do?

I found the newer aMember manual and started looking through the files in my folder.

I'm always scared to get nosing around in stuff I don't understand in case I mess something up. But lo and behold there was a join and member php file, and I found the urls to link them from my site etc.

The only thing I would change is to be able to customize those two pages to match my site, which the features page says you can do, but I'll have to go snoopin' some more. I use Composer for all my pages, tho' I do have Frontpage, but Composer won't open a PHP file in it's editor for me. So...

Anyway, all's well and I appreciate your helping with the main stuff.

Have a good day!

Deb

You're very welcome.

It looks like your cats and dogs have migrated my way today too! :lol: Rain should be ending this morning but I'm afraid not until after my scheduled lesson with the Club Pro. :( But, hey, rain only melts witches and sugar, right? :lol:

Cya.

• 1 month later...

Did you guys ever find where the manual or instructions were for Amember? I'm very interested in setting my sites up with member only sections. I downloaded the free version, but don't know where to start to read up on how it all works and how to configure it for my site.

Do the passwords get generated randomly or do we have to email the passwords to the people who sign up?

Any help would be much appreciated.

NB

I must be going blind because I can't see where it is.

DO you have a direct link to the page?

Thanks a million.

NB

Lianna,

I think I will try to impliment it next weekend. I'll holla if I have any probelms.

Nat