Phpbb V 2.0.16 Released

All phpBB users should be aware of a new version of phpBB which was released today. The newest version is 2.0.16. This release addresses some bugfixes and one critical security issue. More information can be found in the phpBB forums:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=302011

As a reminder, TCH encourages all of us to keep our software installations up to date, so those of us running phpBB should probably upgrade as soon as possible.

Well, I did a search on phpBB 2.0.16 before I posted and scanned down the topic list until I saw the phpBB 2.0.15 topic.

Unfortunately, my search attempt failed because it seems that this board system searches by phrases, not words, and so didn't find the "phpBB V 2.0.16" thread.

My second attempt failed because somebody posted to the phpBB 2.0.15 thread after the last post to the phpBB 2.0.16 thread.

Sorry about the duplicate post :) but you can't be too secure. :lol:

Steve

Hi Folks,

Tried updating today on one of my sites but something has gone awry. I used the 2.0.11 to 2.0.16 updated files but am now receiving the following error on the default forum page:

======================

phpBB : Critical Error

Error creating new session

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1054 Unknown column 'session_admin' in 'field list'

INSERT INTO phpbb_sessions (session_id, session_user_id, session_start, session_time, session_ip, session_page, session_logged_in, session_admin) VALUES ('3b737aa0f87d5db19a24fd4746c34980', -1, 1120404779, 1120404779, '559a0201', 0, 0, 0)

Line : 172

File : sessions.php

======================

The upgrade instuctions say that "You should now run install/update_to_latest.php" but am not sure how to do this.

Would much appreciate any guidance.

Thanks

Did you

1 - backup your database (cpanel > backup > download database )

2 - backup your forum config.php file

3 - change to sub silver theme

4 - upload the changes files

5 - run your-tchdomain/forumfolder/install/update_to_latest.php

The upgrade instuctions say that "You should now run install/update_to_latest.php" but am not sure how to do this.

Would much appreciate any guidance.

Thanks

Not sure if you figured this out yet, but you need to create a folder (install) in the root directory of your phpbb forums and then upload the update_to_latest.php and run from your site http://www.yoursite.com/install/update_to_latest.php. Once this script is successfully run be sure to delete the file. Hope this helps.

Not sure if you figured this out yet, but you need to create a folder (install) in the root directory of your phpbb forums and then upload the update_to_latest.php and run from your site http://www.yoursite.com/install/update_to_latest.php.  Once this script is successfully run be sure to delete the file.  Hope this helps.

Thanks very much Folks and thatnk you too for the welcome messages.

Some progress, but still a glitch!

Don, yes I carried out the first 4 steps, but not the 5th.

Have just loaded the "update_to_latest.php" page as per Thumper's suggestion and the database updated ok - no errors. (Have since deleted in /install/ folder.)

The default forum page now loads ok, but when I try to log in to the admin panel, I'm taken to www.microsoft.com! Also, trying to view any of the previous posts from the default pages returns an error like this:

Parse error: parse error, unexpected $ in /home/***/public_html/phpBB/viewtopic.php on line 1111

Hope someone can make sense of this!

Thanks guys.

Can you post your code for the viewtopic.php line 1111 and the line before and after it?

Sure Thumper. It's the standard phpBB viewtopic.php file - no modifications:

1110 $message = str_replace('\"', '"', substr(@preg_replace('#(\>(((?>([^><]+|(?R)))*)\<))#se', "@preg_replace('#\b(" . str_replace('\\', '\\\\', addslashes($highlight_match)) . ")\b#i', '<span style=\"color:#" . $theme['fontcolor3'] . "\"><b>\\\\1</b></span>', '\\0')", '>' . $message . '<'), 1, -1));

1111 }

Have copied lines 1110, 1111 & 1112 above. (line 1112 has no content.)

Regarding the "jump" to microsoft.com that I mentioned earlier when trying to view /phpBB/admin/index.php - I found this is a quirk of Firefox. IE shows the "This page cannot be displayed" message. I've verified that the file does exist on the server.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Edited by infocen

Sure Thumper. It's the standard phpBB viewtopic.php file - no modifications:

1110  $message = str_replace('\"', '"', substr(@preg_replace('#(\>(((?>([^><]+|(?R)))*)\<))#se', "@preg_replace('#\b(" . str_replace('\\', '\\\\', addslashes($highlight_match)) . ")\b#i', '<span style=\"color:#" . $theme['fontcolor3'] . "\"><b>\\\\1</b></span>', '\\0')", '>' . $message . '<'), 1, -1));

1111 }

Have copied lines 1110, 1111 & 1112 above. (line 1112 has no content.)

Regarding the "jump" to microsoft.com that I mentioned earlier when trying to view /phpBB/admin/index.php - I found this is a quirk of Firefox. IE shows the "This page cannot be displayed" message. I've verified that the file does exist on the server.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Just wondering do you have any MODS installed or is it just a "Vanilla" phpBB? Also, were you updating from 2.0.15 to 2.0.16?

Just wondering do you have any MODS installed or is it just a "Vanilla" phpBB? Also, were you updating from 2.0.15 to 2.0.16?

Hi Dark,

No mods at all, but I have managed to shed some light on the subject and suspect I'm not the only one having problems. (Upgrade was from 2.0.11 to 16)

I normally use Frontpage which doesn't help much where php script is concerned. So I tried using Dreamweaver to open the viewtopics.php file and it showed there was a syntax error of some sort on line 1110.

I'd downloaded a complete phpbb 2.0.16 zipped file from phpbb.com and it would seem some of them contain errors, because when I downloaded from their secondary server, unzipped and then uploaded to my site, the Viewtopic problem was fixed.

But alas, I still can't log in to the admin panel... IE still returns a "This page cannot be displayed" error and curiously Firefox 1.0.4 still redirects to microsoft.com.

Since I have (I hope!) backed all the data, guess I'll try deleting the phpbb folder and try a fresh install.

Thanks again for the suggestions and to Don for the PM.

When I edit the code ar add my own edits, I simply use Wordpad..

You can try moving your existing config.php file to a different location temporarily, deleting your old forum directory and uploading a fresh copy of version 2.0.16 from the phpBB site. Delete the new config.php file as well as the install and contrib directories and move the originalconfig.php file back into the root folder and see if that fixes your problems.

If you don't have any MODS installed this would probably be the easiest and quickest route to go.

Edited by Dark

When I edit the code ar add my own edits, I simply use Wordpad..

You can try moving your existing config.php file to a different location temporarily, deleting your old forum directory and uploading a fresh copy of version 2.0.16 from the phpBB site. Delete the new config.php file as well as the install and contrib directories and move the originalconfig.php file back into the root folder and see if that fixes your problems.

If you don't have any MODS installed this would probably be the easiest and quickest route to go.

Thanks for the suggestion Dark. Unfortunately, still no joy though. Everything seems fine with the exception of not being able to log-in as admin.

I hunted through the phpbb.com forums and found that several others are having the same problem. The wizards there haven't been able to find what the cause is yet.

So as a warning to others, just be aware that if you upgrade to phpBB 2.0.16 right now, you may lose the ablility to administer your forum.

When (if!?) I find a fix to the ACP log-in problem I'll post it here. :goof:

OK, I think you need to upgrade from version to version without skipping. (ie 2.0.11 to 2.0.12 to 2.0.13 to 2.0.14 to 2.0.15 to 2.0.16) Something might be missing in the jump from 2.0.11 to 2.0.16. Give that a try and see if you still have problems.