Google question about new "Florida" ranking.

Here's an interesting question (to me anyway).

On www.grandslamkw.com I have been fighting since the "Florida" algorithm change to get the site towards the top. For the term "Key West Fishing" it went from 37 to greater than 200. :lol:

My question is - why am I number one for "Key West hammerhead shark" and "Key West hammerhead shark fishing" but #4 for "Key West Hammerhead" and way down the list (I stopped at page 7) for "Key West Hammerhead Fishing"?

There seems to be a pattern here but I'm not exactly sure what it is. Also, is my ranking based more on how much competition there is for the phrase, the fact I have "Hammerhead shark" bolded and inside a link to an internal page, my meta tags (doubt it, hammerhead's not even in there) or something totally random having to do with the phase of the moon and the checksum of all the words on my site that are blue? :dance:

I didn't say it would be an easy question, just an interesting one. :dance:

I'm beginning to think it was less of a flippant comment and possibly stone cold serious. I was doing well on all of my sites and great on a couple and some are still great and the rest went screwy. It's not like my SEO style or knowledge changed that much from one to the other so I don't understand.

The thing is that the #1 site is an ugly little site with nearly hidden text and about 6 bazillion topics from hotels to scuba on it - certainly not focused on fishing. I'm trying to see why it works but from the design I have to think it was by accident that they are #1. :)

That may be beacuse of the new "Stemming" that they are doing where game, games, gaming are all considered the same thing.

As we discuss Google's new "Florida" ranking system, it may be worth recalling that Florida doesn't exactly have the best track record where ranking things--such as presidential candidates--is concerned.

Maybe Google is using butterfly ballots for its new system, and your problems are the result of hanging chads. Or pregnant ones. :D

Hey! Since former Vice President Al Gore invented the internet, maybe he can get Google straightened out for us! Ah, but alas, it may take months of costly court battles so perhaps we should just wait for them to get it straightened out on their own. :D

Al Gore huh? try this theory....

If you look on a map of the US, you'll note that florida is kinda hanging out there on the east coast. I think it's some kind of weather pattern that channels all bad things as far as counting and statistics and all that to florida (hence the election blunder and the now infamous florida update). It's got to be the weather patterns..... ;)

On a serious note. If this godly update is supposed to really work, why am I number 1 under venue chicago, but i'm not even top 70 under venues chicago? Can anyone explain that? I'm going with the fact that google is possesed. :D

Jim:

Here's an interesting fact: The claim that Al Gore invented the internet (well, not quite, but close) actually came from none other than Newt Gingrich.

The claim that Al Gore invented the internet (well, not quite, but close) actually came from none other than Newt Gingrich.

See, I knew better than to trust the news! :lol:

CNN has a transcript of an interview between Al Gore and Wolf Blitzer from March 9, 1999 where they quote Gore as saying "During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet." To create is to bring into existance - invent is a different word but the concept is the same - the Internet was created by scientists and military interests over the years and while he has been a strong supporter of it, he did not create it.

And here I am thinking that the Internet was created by thousands and thousands of folk. Silly me. ;)

Jim:

1. In many cases you are right to be skeptical about the news; after all, it is increasingly clear that, for example, Faux "News" is in reality part of the propaganda wing of the Republican Party.

2. Please note that I for one never said Gore invented the internet. About the most that can be said for him--or any other individual--is that he was a leader in popularizing and promoting it, thereby helping it grow to its current worldwide pervasiveness ... for better or for worse. And I think that's really what he and others have in fact credited him with doing.

3. It is interesting to note, however, that Gore's statement to Blitzer went unchallenged at the time it was made, and was only resurrected later to be used against the former as evidence that he was a liar. <_<

3. It is interesting to note, however, that Gore's statement to Blitzer went unchallenged at the time it was made, and was only resurrected later to be used against the former as evidence that he was a liar. <_<

Most of us didn't see the need at the time to point out something so obviously incorrect.

and yes, google has lost it's marbles. :D