? Re: Who Owns My Domain

It appears my old host owns my domain name and I want to own it in my name

When I began with totalchoice the domain had been locked by the old host totalchoice told me to ask them to unlock it....I did....i'd thought this would release it into my name but doing a who is I find the following.....how do I fix this?

Visit: [edited out by Mitch]

Domain name: ARMCHAIREDITOR.COM

[i edited out this information because it provided direct information about another web hosting company. I'll reply shortly to explain more on this. - Mitch]

Edited by TCH-Mitch

Your going to have to contact the old register directly about this, show them the Whois research you found and ask them if you can get the domain name transfered to your own name. This is why it's always important though to read the fine print!

Also another good reason why TotalChoice Hosting rocks, since when you by your domain name through us YOU actually own your domain name. ;)

Curious,

On that other site, did you pay for the domain name or just the hosting? I could be reading it wrong but it looks like they own the domain name until the hosting term is up and then you have to purchase the domain from them.

Like I said I could be wrong so don't quote me on it but if that is the case there isn't much you can do that I can see. You will really need to keep trying with them.

I paid for the domain name.

haven't heard from them yet

wonder if there is a phone number I can call...this was the problem with them before...that and downtime....never even got my promised refund

According to the WhoIs, the old hosting company is listed as the regsitrant (owner) and contact for this domain name...

...teehhee...but they list a phone number:

(Santa Cruz, CA, USA)

Also appears that they have a forum on their site which has been attended to in the last 24 hours. You may want to try some polite pressure thru that avenue.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Hi me again....who would I report the old host to....I cannot make heads or tails and I signed up for the bulliten board and was told that a moderator would approve me ....well that never happened. I called and left a message at the phone number, i've emailed several moderators and such and have had zero answers. I need my domain and am at a loss here as to how to fix this....is there somewhere I can report them to?

looking over my paperwork I found the info to access the domain name...it had an area to change the domain contact info...was it really as simple as all that???

now how do I make that info private save for the email address? thanks for your help ahh I do have another important question tho..it says i'm about to expire...but does not show how to renew the domain name??

oh hell....oooooo.......well I tried to transfer it and now this is what I get from my new registrar

***it seems that your current host doesn't want to release your account, here is there contact info, if you would like to contact them and ask them why, also they have a lock on your account that they just placed there within the last couple of days. It won't transfer until they release it**

how can they do this.....they don't answer the phone....i've emailed and asked nicely....I had them unlock my domain a year ago and now they do this?? is this legal????