Wordpress And Mac Support

zallaz

Hello,

I'm not new here, but had to register again. We had a website for 3 years, canceled a few months ago, and now I'm looking into starting few blogs with WordPress.

I also recently switched to Mac, so I have no idea if it has any difference for your support of WP with Mac.

I checked BlueHost, which is one of the recommended by WordPress. They admit that they have few problems with Mac. Here it is:

=====================================================================================

==================

Recommended programs and options especially for Mac users.

Solution

While we do support Mac users, the unique structure of the Macintosh platform raises several compatibility issues.

If you have not already come across this information, it will be invaluable to you in setting up and maintaining a website. (These programs are all free, but do require you to download them to your computer.)

FTP (File Transfer Protocol)

Unfortunately, our Unlimited FTP software will not function on a Mac. Therefore, we recommend using any of the following programs to gain access through FTP.

-Fugu | Available through Columbia University | http://www.columbia.edu/acis/software/fugu/

-Fetch | Available through Fetch Softworks | http://fetchsoftworks.com/

-CyberDuck | Available through Cyberduck | http://cyberduck.ch/

Web Page Development

PageWizard was programmed with the dual button mouse in mind, making it extremely difficult to use on a Mac. Try this instead.

-NVU | Available through Linspire | http://www.nvu.com/

Browser Suggestions

Safari is currently not compatible with many features available through our service. To avoid these pitfalls, try these browsers.

-Firefox | Available through Mozilla | http://www.getfirefox.com/

-Opera | Available through Opera Software | http://www.opera.com/

=====================================================================================

=============================================

I use Safari and it is absolutely The Best Browser, and not planning using anything else.

Do you completely support Mac ?

WordPress - is everything supported ?

And how many blogs can I have under one account ?

Thanks!

Do you completely support Mac ?

In what sense? TCH hosts using Linux servers. You can use what ever FTP program you are comfortable with using to upload content as well as upload through a browser in cPanel.

WordPress - is everything supported ?

Again, in what sense? Can you install your own plugins? Yes, you can. I have several WP blogs.

And how many blogs can I have under one account ?

You can have as many as you want (as will fit) as long as they are accessed as subdomains under your domain name.

Oh, and welcome back to the forums. :)

I don't see where you should have any issues other than the browser and I only say this as I am not familiar with Safari. In fact, Bill Kish (aka Head Guru) runs nothing but Macs without any issues. Hopefully all our Mac lovers will pop in her and share their experience.

Appreciate the replies, as usual fast as the speed of light :)

Really sad to hear about Don..

I never had experience not with blogging and not with databases. BlueHost has 50 MySQL databases. What does that exactly mean for WP ?

A blogger mentioned somewhere that having 50 MySQL allows her to have 50 blogs...or something like that...?

What does that exactly mean for WP ?

A blogger mentioned somewhere that having 50 MySQL allows her to have 50 blogs...or something like that...?

As Bruce mentioned, you have unlimited databases. And, roughly speaking, yes...each WP blog would be a different database (it's not exactly true...it is possible to use one database to handle all the blogs...but I think a one DB per WP is a good way to think of it).

One of the TCH tools in the Control Panel is Fantastico, which will do all the necessary setting up of your WP blogs. Just click, enter a minimal amount of information, and you have a WP blog all set up including the necessary database. Fantastico will also set up a lot of other useful things, such as wikis, forums, content management systems, and more...with no knowledge of databases necessary.

As Bruce mentioned, you have unlimited databases. And, roughly speaking, yes...each WP blog would be a different database (it's not exactly true...it is possible to use one database to handle all the blogs...but I think a one DB per WP is a good way to think of it).

One of the TCH tools in the Control Panel is Fantastico, which will do all the necessary setting up of your WP blogs. Just click, enter a minimal amount of information, and you have a WP blog all set up including the necessary database. Fantastico will also set up a lot of other useful things, such as wikis, forums, content management systems, and more...with no knowledge of databases necessary.

Thanks Nortk!

What about "Add-on Domains" ?

Can I have say, 4-5 domains under one account, like BlueHost ?

...never mind, found out, it's not...but it's ok. I'll stick with TC anyway! :)

zallaz(formerly "elzee")

btw, can use my original "elzee" not to loose my "status"?

I tried to login, but the system didn't recognize it. I don't why..I only canceled my website a couple of months ago.

Edited by zallaz

I don't see where you should have any issues other than the browser and I only say this as I am not familiar with Safari. In fact, Bill Kish (aka Head Guru) runs nothing but Macs without any issues. Hopefully all our Mac lovers will pop in her and share their experience.

Thanks,

do you know if he is using Safari ?

Safari should work fine, but it's been awhile since I've used it regularly. On the remote chance you run into any problems with Safari while accessing your control panel, you can alway fire up firefox, but searching around I'm seeing almost no complaints at all about safari and cpanel usage, so you should be good to go.

As a Mac user you should put your Safari browser away and get a copy of Camino. It is a browser with the back end of Mozilla Gecko but built with Mac Style. It is the best browser for Mac OS X. I use it daily in my work at TCH and I have never had a issue with compatibility.

Welcome to TCH, I am glad to see another Mac user in the forums.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask, I would be glad to share any tips I can.

Bill