Cpanel Folders And Searching

Samrc

I have two basic questions that have probably been addressed dozens of times, but after wandering, still haven't found an answer....

1) In my public_html folder, I have several folders that I do not recognize and would like to understand. _private, _vti_bin, _vti_cnf, _vti_log, _vti_pvt, _vti_txt

If I want pages to be private, do I publish them to the _private directory?

2) I looked at the search ability and thought it would be great until I realized that every page on the site is in the search. If I don't want some pages to be included, is there a way to not include certain pages? (The help didn't help on that issue)

Came from web host with no options - cPanel is new to me so I've been reading the manual for assistance.

-Samantha

1. Jim is correct, Sam. All those folders are FrontPage extentions. Since you aren't using FP, you can use cpanel to uninstall FP Extentions and they go away. Placing things in the _private directory won't do any good unless FP is the one doing the putting.

2. Dunno. Good question. Anybody else? I wonder though if you set permissions locked down to virtually nothing prior to a search if it would blow right past those files/folders???? Like I said, dunno. Sorry.

I uninstalled the FP extensions as suggested and that cleared the folders. Thank you!!! Thumbs Up

I was looking at the index manager. I wonder if it would block certain folders from the search.....

Any recommendations for search scripts are easy to setup and maintain that I can use on a commercial site, if I don't end up using the one in cPanel?

-Samantha

2. Dunno. Good question. Anybody else? I wonder though if you set permissions locked down to virtually nothing prior to a search if it would blow right past those files/folders????

Yes, if you remove *all* permissions (even your own!) from a folder

before you run the Entropy search rebuild, the search engine will not

be able to enter that folder to index the files it contains.

After you rebuild the search index, you can re-enable permissions on

the folder.

The search engine indexes everything in your public_html directory,

whether you link to it or not and whether you have it web-password

protected or not. (The indexing software runs using your account

permissions - if you can access the item, so can the index builder.)

Web passwords only protect folders from web browsers, not from anything

running on your server (including the search engine indexing software).

Of course, if someone tries to access a password-protected item in the

Entropy search index using their browser, the web password will trigger

and they will have to supply it.

Items that only your userid can access on the server will also not be

accessible via a web browser (though they will appear in the Entropy

index). Web access to those will be "Permission denied".

So, Ian, if I remove all permissions to a file using cPanel File Manager, even my own, will it allow me to then go back and add the permissions?

Hey! it does work!

:D

Of course it works. Have I ever lied to you before? :D

Where can I learn about the permissions? What they mean, why they are used and how to convert over to numbers (have seen instructions...set your permission to 755 yet I do not see numbers only check boxes).

Lianna, KW was using Freefind for quite a while. But the free version is for sites up to 32Mb, and I went past that my first day on TCH. I would have to pay for the option. The Lambert site far exceeds that so I am seeking another free alternative if possible.

-Samantha

The FreeFind 32MB limit is not the size of the site, rather the amount of total bandwith that they use everytime someone does a search accumulated on a monthly basis.

The site I used it on averaged about 20,000 searches per month.

Thanks for the link and the info. Maybe Freefind would work for Lambert after all if I don't like Entrophy search. Dance Dance

-Samantha

At least with the freefiind it's hassle free but the ads are kind of annoying. I just installed a new one Ruter Search on the lyrics site. Had it up and running in half-hour, tops.

You can check it out at lyrics site if you want to test-drive it. I also left a freefind search at the very bottom of the home page.

I like the Ruter Search response far more than Free Find. Will take a look at the documentation. Thanks for the heads up. Made it very easy to compare the results since you left the other search on the same page. (I like your rotating smilie face)

Will probably take me longer than half hour simply because I have not used a cgi bin, php or mysql databases yet. The previous web host didn't offer them and so I'm getting my feet wet now... Love to play with new things... I will have fun today!! (have 2 projects...a new form code and new search code....where to begin...)

-Samantha

I downloaded the 4 files for RuterSearch, but when I unzip, they seem to be duplicates.

Which file did you use in your setup? I used rs-mysql-perl

And did you install all the files in the archive to the cgi bin? I did

I added a database to mysql (lambsearch)

I have tried to run the admin.cgi file to install the search but keep getting the same error: could not access database.

When it finally went through, it created a new database rutersearch, but I can not find it in my mysql database list in cpanel.

Did you customize your response page? I like the way you have yours setup.

Thanks for any pointers.

-Samantha

Ty,

when I use the top search (Ruter) for "etta james"

I get 9 found

but when I use the bottom one (free find), I get 14,

just wondering why.

But both are very nice, and maybe this is the place to say thanks for a great resource Thumbs Up

Umm.......FreeFind has better taste? :) I'm not sure why but I'll try a couple things, see what happens and report back. Thanks for pointing it out.

Samantha - I'll go back over it and see what I did, I don't remember right off, but I'll let you know! :unsure:

long past my 1/2 hour... LOL but still working at it :unsure:

When I try sto search, I get this response 404 page:

/cgi-bin/our_search/search.cgi?string=

1) I don't think the database has been created. What do I do to actually create it (I've gone through the instructions a couple times but just don't get it.)

2) It has an add.cgi file. Do I need to manually add each page for them to show up in the database? Or can I get it to load another way like with spider.cgi? I tried accessing that through the browser as I did admin.cgi file, but get this: Internal Server Error. Do I need to set permissions differently?

Maybe this is just too sophisticated for a first time cgi script ..... maybe I should be considering other options because I don't want to be a pest about this......

-Samantha

I will assume (from your post) that you created a folder in cgi-bin called "our_search". You uploaded all the files in ASCII? Set the permissions as follows (documentation not real clear) add.cgi-755, admin.cgi-755, config.cgi-666, queryrecord.txt-755 and spider.cgi-755

Now go to yoursite.com/cgi-bin/our_search/admin.cgi The default password is jesussaves and you can change this on the next page.

Choose MySql for database.

Enter database name, probably lambert_lambsearch?

Enter username (probably lambert_username)

Enter password for database

Then just keep going, the rest is pretty clear. A new login page appears so login again using original password. This takes you to the admin page. You can change your password here. Confirm that all the MySql info is correct or fill it out if you did not previously create the database.

Click on "Manage Database Entries" This opens a small window where you can choose to "add" "delete" or "Spider".

You may have to add anything NOT in a folder by hand but it will completely spider entire folders, one at a time.

I hope this helps and I hope I didn't miss anything. :unsure:

Permissions....that's what's missing! Thank you!

I had already accessed the admin page and changed my password.

will go back and work on it some more (and make note in the printed version of the permission settings).

Will let you know progress.

-Samantha

ok... with permissions, I was able to accomplish far more. You didn't mention the search.cgi file, but I set it to 755 and it worked. Thumbs Up

I have started spidering and capturing pages. Thumbs Up

I have tried searching and I get results (still have to play with the formatting but am confident I can do that).

One problem: the results have no link! Your results have a number and a link then the description. I have a number and a description. I have gone through the documentation and can't seem to find how to make that!!! HELP PLEASE. What do I need to add to the results template to get a link?

I went into the mysql manager and was able to see the database/edit. How nice.

I will be able to delete pages I do not want in the search....another GREAT plus!

-Samantha

sample result......

6.  CHILD'S NURSERY RHYME

Results New Search CHILD'S NURSERY RHYME Ty Smith There you stand With my life in your hands, Tangled up in fear I can't escape. I don't know Of these feelings that you show, A part of you I just can't face. You say you'll do me right Keep me w

If you're missing the part in BOLD then you're missing <title></title> tags on the spidered page.

May be another reason as well, but I can't think of one at the moment.

Sounds like you're doing great! :unsure:

Well, that's the point, I do have page titles. They are listed the description, like shown in yours. I just do not have a link. (titles bBolded for emphasis)

6. CHILD'S NURSERY RHYME

Results New Search CHILD'S NURSERY RHYME Ty Smith There you stand With my life in your hands, Tangled up in fear I can't escape. I don't know Of these feelings that you show, A part of you I just can't face. You say you'll do me right Keep me w

Here's an example also bolded for emphasis:

1. Lambert Corporation - Concrete In Colors Color Chart 7/25/2003 13:42:16 Lambert Corporation Cement and Mortar Color guide for colored concrete http://www.lambertusa.com/color/id12.htm

(Yes, I need to adjust the format of the search result to get rid of time, date....)

Here's the page I want to link to...http://www.lambertusa.com/color/id12.htm

<TITLE>Lambert Corporation - Concrete In Colors Color Chart </TITLE> is in the source code.

Now what...?

There were 4 different downloadable files. Maybe you used a different version?

I used rs-mysql-perl

Maybe your results page is different than mine?

-Samantha

I am using the same version as you. This is strange - I didn't have this problem at all. I'll try and replicate it and let ya know :)

later...I couldn't make it do it.

Does your result template have <a href="_url_">_title_</a>

even later... The only other thing you could try (which I had to do once while configuring this) is to delete just the database and create a new one.

Edited by boxturt

later...I couldn't make it do it.

Does your result template have <a href="_url_">_title_</a>

NO it doesn't!!! I think you have the answer!!! woooot I knew something had to be missing. Don't know why. Haven't modified the results window at all yet. Will play with it in the morning, but I think that's it.

THANK YOU!! :)

-Samantha

cgi-bin/your_search/html/resulttemplate.html should look like this:

<br>

<div class="resultTitle">

<span class="resultNumber">_resultnumber_. </span>

<a href="_url_">_title_</a>

<span class="date">_date_</span>

</div>

<div class="resultDescription">_description_</div>

<div class="resultUrl">_url_</div>

<div class="resultKeywords">_keywords_</div>

<div class="resultAuthor">_author_</div>

You can comment out the date here as well. :)

*keeping fingers crossed for you..*