Basic Editing And Database Queries

It's time for me to start modifying the heck out of my website again. The File Managers 'edit' feature is SO combersome! I've put up with it for my small modifications to date, but now it's a real pain!

I want to use emacs, or at least something good. Is there anyway to do this? Do I have to get ssh access? I have a feeling that 'frontpage extensions' come into play here, but I don't have frontpage.

Also related to SSH, it would be nice to have a quick access to mysql, the phpMySQLadmin will be very cumbersome for me to use.

Doing the work and then uploading it is a bit out of the question becuase I'm not in the postition of having a webserver/MySQL/php support on my home machine.

it would be nice to have a quick access to mysql, the phpMySQLadmin will be very cumbersome for me to use.

Doing the work and then uploading it is a bit out of the question becuase I'm not in the postition of having a webserver/MySQL/php support on my home machine.

I disagree with some of your assumptions here.

The tools TCH gives to manage Mysql are very easy and fairly intuitive. You don't have to run a webserver on your home machine. I'm not sure where this confusion came from.

You create the databases with the CPanel interface 'Manage MySql'.

You create the tables you want with phpMyAdmin (great program and considered standard)

You can upload tremendous chunks of data very easily by using excel on your home machine, saving it as a cvs file (comma delimited), and uploading it using phpmyadmin.

What you do from there depends on how you are using the mysql. If it's a forum or some sort of community script then 99.9% of the content will be added for you by visitors to your site.

If instead, it is data that you will be adding to your database manually, then uploading cvs files is probably your best bet. Or you could construct your own web interface/admin page.

Having worked with other hosting providers, I find the tools at TCH to be beyond my expectations.

The site I run is several thousand pages and pulls 95% of its content from a database. I have yet to think "Boy, if TCH only had ________"

I agree, the MySQL tools are preety good. I would still like to have a mysql shell for a lot of things (quicker to type it and press enter, than to have to click, wait, click, wait).

Mostly it's the file editing that is killing me. I could really use emacs, or at least some editor with line numbers and multiple file windows.

Speaking of MySQL, I only know the very basics of MySQL like creating a database, username for it, etc (like if I want to install Invision Power Board manually). What I don't know is how to use it in projects and everything else. I purchased a book called "PHP and MySQL Web Development". Well...the PHP part in the beginning was easy, but when they got to the MySQL part, they made it sound as if like I already knew a whole lot about MySQL.

Does anyone know a good book I can buy that teaches MySQL to beginners? Please don't say the mysql.com manual! :(

Mostly it's the file editing that is killing me.  I could really use emacs, or at least some editor with line numbers and multiple file windows.

Have you tried notetab editor with multiple files open at once, line numbers( pro version), html friendly,and preview to a browser and more.

:(

I use Core MySQL by Leon Atkinson.

I bought it over a year ago, so not sure if it's up to date.  But it's very good

The reviews for that book at Amazon.com aren't that great :(

I am a COMPLETE NEWBIE to MySQL. Does anyone know of any good book that I can use along with my TCH account to take full advantage of learning MySQL?