Outgoing Email

tamda

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone ran into similar situation as myself on the following:

Our servers are hosted by TCH. I have a need to get a copy of all outgoing emails from everyone in the company as a requirement from our industry. We don't want the users to have access to change that setting (i.e. within their email clients).

Ideally, for every email send, a copy of that email also gets send to a "catch-all" email account so we can back it up.

I have opened a helpdesk ticket and the reply was "no we don't offer that feature on our servers". So I am wondering if anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Dave

Well I'd say the easy way would be to ask your employees to add your e-mail address to the CC (carbon copy) line of the E-mail. Then you would be depending on your employees to be honest there.

As far as an automated solution, you might have to look for a third party script or service. I'll do some hunting around and see if I can find anything.

Well after some quick searching, I found this device:

NorthSeas Guard E/N

"The NorthSeas Guard E/N (pronounced guardian) automatically captures, and sends a copy of each e-mail message, sent or received by an e-mail server to a network storage system. As a result, the designated storage system becomes a central e-mail repository referred to as the Captured Messages Store/Archive™ from which users can easily access and retrieve any of their messages. The Guard E/N appliance installs easily within minutes and works with any email application including Microsoft Exchange, IBM/Lotus Notes, Novell GroupWise, Unix Mail, and others."

With the whole carbon copy deal I mentioned before, I found this little bit of infomation as well:

"Automatic CC Several users have asked if OE can be configured to automatically cc: all outgoing mail to the same user specified address. Unfortunately, the short answer is that OE does not support this functionality at this time. Despite this reality, there is an interim work around for new outgoing messages (unfortunately, it does not work for Reply messages). All you need to do is to create a template for your outgoing mail messages that includes your address in the BCC field. Simply create a new mail message with your email address in the CC or BCC field. Now, choose File | Save As, and save it to a location from where you can easily launch it (like the Desktop). Now, whenever you need to make a new email with this, just launch the mail message "template" and click Send when you're done."

Wish I could be a little more help right now, but my niece is about to wake up, so I got to get back to being an Uncle for the time being. :no2:

Edited by Mitch

Mitch,

Still researching but the Guard E/N won't work for us. It's an appliance that needs to be installed. Since our server is a TCH server, I doubt they would let us install that hardware in their DC just so we can use the feature.

I think we need to look at a software solution that will work in conjunction with EXIM that will capture every piece of outgoing and incoming emails to a location on the TCH server which we can then download for backup.

I'll post my finding if I can find a solution. In the meantime, if anyone else have suggestions, please let us know.

Thanks!

Dave

• 1 month later...

We use the NorthSeas appliance at my company even though our mail server is hosted elsewhere. We installed the Guard E/N on our network and designated a server with a 1/2 TB of storage as our archive. All inbound and outbound mail now comes through the Guard E/N and gets archived before it goes to the hosted server (incoming mail) or directly out (outbound mail).

Thanks Peter.

How do you enforce users to POP/IMAP into the appliance instead of going directly to the external email server themselves?

I found something that seems to do what I need but I have to upgrade to a dedicated server plan at TCH b/c it is a system wide change. It is a method call "copyuser". Essentially, you need to append approximately 10 lines of code to the sendmail configuration file (sendmail.cf). I am currently testing this on my own linux server to see if this truly works for me. But from what I have read, it should.

Here is the link for more information: http://www.lawlawlaw.com/nbn-spysoftware.html

Regards,

Dave

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Welcome to the forums Peter.

Dave, have you looked at email services that may be able to provide this functionality? I know there are a lot of 3rd party email hosting services and am thinking that there are probably some that can do what you need for your business.

It's just a thought.

Hi Jim,

Yes I know about those services. But I was thinking since I am a reseller with TCH, why not offer those services as well for my clients? It doesn't hurt to have my clients pay me instead of someone else for those features right? :P)

-Dave