FP Publishing

Mae

I am still having trouble publishing. I did a help desk ticket. They tell me that my public_html folder needs to be updated (how was I suppose to know this?) and that I need to have a file w/index.php/.htm/.html. So I look in my cpanel, but I don't know how to update the file. I asked but got linked to FP how-to instead. I don't know why they couldn't give me a direct answer. Can someone please tell how to do this?

In your welcome e-mail

it tells you to publish to your site and use the remote folder of public_html

which is were your public pages reside and use an index.html or .htm or .php

If you are using Front Page that is why they sent you to the help link.

Support does not normally help with all the many programs there are to load a web site.

That our own responsibility, theirs is to maintain the server and fix account problems.

I do not use FP so I can't help you with that, but their must be a setting where you can tell it to use the public_html folder or browse to it.

I am sure an FP user will be along soon.

If you used Front Page to create the site you should publish the site using Front Page. FP is pretty picky, however, before the domain has completely propagated. I tried to connect using FP and it returned an error since the domain has not completely propagated for me. Propagation can take 24 to 48 hours or even longer with some ISPs.

We also have information on our Help Pages for help with Front Page. It can be found here and has videos on publishing. I would suggest publishing using http.If you are getting an error I would suggest waiting a little longer and trying again.

Let me tell you that I am not exaggerating whe I say that I am sitting here in tears. I registered my domain name on Monday. I wanted plenty of time to make sure this worked before my class deadline. First they tell me the name servers are all wrong and then I have to wait longer for this propagation thing. I did what everyone said - typed in my url and waited until a list of stuff came up instead of page not displayed. I tried to publish. I get a message about need FP extensions installed. I looked in my cpanel. It says their installed. I contact help desk. They say their installed. Then this other lady tells me that I need to have this public folder. In my email it says it must be uploaded to the public_html directory, but then it goes onto say "for FP users" - so I upoload to my domain name like it says. I don't even know what or where this public directory is. After the help desk tells me about this I check my cpanel. I find it, but I don't know what to do about it. Then she sends me this link that makes no sense to me. It's FP 2002. I have 2000. The directions are weird and I don't get what that has to do w/this public directory. I've been on the computer from the time I get up till 2 or 3 in the morning for a solid month. I've banged my head against it until it's bruised - metaphorically speaking that is. My knowledge is limited. I just need to get this website online. :eek: I'm tired and frustrated. Sorry for just going off here but I just can't seem to get a break. I don't have much time left.

I understand your frustration. It appears you have bitten off more than you can chew. However, I have gotten out my trusty "Special Edition: Using Microsoft FrontPage 2000" book, so give your head a short break while I do some research. (Besides...it'll give you a bad headache! :eek: )

Is it safe to assume that you have created a web site and have it stored on your hard drive?

Bit off more than I can chew allright...try this is assignment #22 in 5 short weeks and 1 - 21 entailed hours and of hours of work - this on top of another major course. Ok...I'm trying to calm down here. I have FP 2000 for Dummies. I thought this was going to be the easy part.

Is the site you're editing located on the hard drive of YOUR computer or is it already on your website hosted with TCH? Do you have a URL for your site? While I'm at it, do you have IM capability? You can send me an IM using one of the icons below.

If the public_html directory is in my manage files folder, and I'm suppose to have index.htm in that folder - is that done in my cpanel or in FP? There was a "create folder" in the manage files folder. Do I create a index.htm folder? Would that solve the problem? My homepage is named index.htm.

OK...since you say that you have your website on your computer, I'm going to assume here that you already have it open in FP.

Copied from "Special Edition: Using Microsoft FrontPage 2000" by QUE books:

"When you are ready to publish to a server, select Publish Web from the File menu. This brings up the Publish Web dialog box, which you can extend by clicking the Options button."

"The most important area of this dialog box is the location field, formally called Specify the Location to Publish Your Web To. Here you can specify either an HTTP address, an FTP address, or a local or networked hard disk location."

"When this dialog box opens, the location field shows only http://. If you want to publish to an HTTP location, you need only fill in the rest of the address and click the Publish button. FrontPage will start the transfer process."

"If you are attempting to publish to an existing web directory, FrontPage will warn you if you're about to overwrite a file with the same filename as the file currently uploading. Do You Want to Overwrite This File? appears in such a case, telling you the filename, the web directory in which the overwrite is taking place, and the date of the last modification of the original file as well as the username of the person who modified it. The publishing process stops if you click No, with no files having been transferred. If you click Yes (or Yes to All), the file is replaced."

"FrontPage also warns you if you are about to replace the existing web's navigation structure. If you click Yes, you're presented with the Publishing Web Structure dialog box, which give you three choices. The first, Do Not Replace the Navigation Structure of the Destination Web, publishes your files but leaves the existing navigation structure in place. The second, Replace the Navigational Structure of the Destination Web, does exactly what it indicates. The third, Let FrontPage Merge the Changes, replaces the navigation structure but replaces the changes made by another author only if the file you're uploading is newer than the existing file."

(The preceding quoted from "Special Edition: Using Microsoft FrontPage 2000" by QUE books.)

Additional note: Even tho the tutorial found here is using FrontPage 2002, I went through it (stopping it using the control bar at the bottom of the screen) and the concept is nearly identical.

Hope all this can help you. What is the URL of your site?

www.lisafrase.com

I clicked File - Publish. The box pops up. In the box w/the http://, I added my url. It looked like http://www.lisafrase.com. I clicked options and clicked on the secure server (that's what my book says to do - is that messing me up?). I clicked ok. I get a box that says my server doesn't have FP extentions - do I want to change to FTP. That's where I get stuck. My cpanel shows I have FP extentions installed. The help desk says it's installed. What am I missing here?

Go to cPanel, uninstall and reinstall the FP extensions. That's one of the reasons I stopped using FP...the extensions just quit every once in a while.

Then try the http:... again.

If you want to try FTP, simply change the http://..... to ftp://www.mysite.com and according to my book, it should work the same.

So close...yet so far away.

I did what you said. No luck w/http, so I tried the ftp. It started to work. Files were going. Victory was so close. Then it seemed (right towards the end) to get stuck on a file...for a long time. I didn't dare touch it. Then it came up and said it was timed out and something about 900 seconds and hit ok. So I hit ok. The whole thing just went down the tubes. Why did it do that? :wallbash:

Although I have FP2000, I've never used it to publish a web page. I tried using it to publish via FTP a little while ago, as that option seemed the easiest for me without having to mess around too much with my web site.

Although you said some files were uploaded when you published your site, they do not appear when you browse to http://www.lisafrase.com/, which tells me that the files are not being uploaded to the correct directory on the server.

When you actually publish your site in FrontPage (to perform an FTP transfer), you need to specify the following as the location:

>ftp://ftp.lisafrase.com/public_html/

"ftp.lisafrase.com" should be the proper address of your FTP server, and the "/public_html" tells FrontPage to start publishing your web pages in that directory. The /public_html directory on the server is the directory that the web server will look for your web pages in when you browse to http://www.lisafrase.com/, so it is important that your files end up in this directory.

Re: FTP timeout - FTP transfers do sometimes hang up and not finish - it happens from time to time with FTP servers. You just need to try your transfer again. While I was testing, I had to republish 3 times before all of the files would transfer.

Hope this helps...

www.lisafrase.com

I clicked File - Publish. The box pops up. In the box w/the http://, I added my url. It looked like http://www.lisafrase.com. I clicked options and clicked on the secure server (that's what my book says to do - is that messing me up?). I clicked ok. I get a box that says my server doesn't have FP extentions - do I want to change to FTP. That's where I get stuck. My cpanel shows I have FP extentions installed. The help desk says it's installed. What am I missing here?

Try leaving out the www part. Rather than 'http://www.lisafrase.com' try 'http://lisafrase.com' I had that problem with my site, although I use FP 2003, so I can't say for sure that it will work, but it's worth a shot. :wallbash:

I"m sorry...I'm now officially stuck too! Many of your family members have given you many links to documentation and suggestions on how to do this, and none appear not to have worked. I don't know what else to tell you other than to download a FREE FTP program and use that.

Last night, I created a web site on my computer using my version of FP 2000, and uploaded it successfully to my test site using the instructions verbatum that I copied for you (above) from my book. It worked just fine without any problems exactly like the book said.

If you want to download SmartFTP, you can find a link here. Then it's just a matter of drag & drop from your computer to the server. (IMHO...it's as easy as using FP's system.)

Note: I just re-read an earlier post. You should not be checking the "secure server" box.

Hi Mae,

I just visited the url you mention above. I got an directory listing, which included a public_html and if this text is correct, then you have a index.htm on your site:

Welcome to Effective Teaching Solutions. This website is currently under new construction. At this time, please click on the TEACHERS button to find resource information and links. Please scroll down to sign my Guest Book and view my Guest Map.

But for some reason it wont work with "lisafrase.com" or "lisafrase.com/index.htm", instead I must use "lisafrase.com/public_html/index.htm".

Did you for some reason tell FP to publish to a subfolder?

I just saw the same thing. I was getting ready to ask about that. I clicked on file, publish, typed in ftp://ftp.lisafrase.com/public_html/ and then I clicked publish. It just started working and then said it was done. I have that problem and some broken links, missing buttons and banners...yikes... Can anyone explain why it has to have the public_html at the end? What can I do about it?

Mae ... email to jim@jimnull.com your welcome email from TCH, it'll have all the details on your account and I will be happy to personally take a look. I use Frontpage all the time and have absolutely no troubles at all with it. Let me know and I'll look over it really quick for you. Will be offline most of today, but promise I'll give it a personal look over.

If I try w/o the public_html, do I need to "unload" first? Also, I still don't know about this business of having an index.htm folder in my public_html file on my cpanel. A help desk lady said it was suppose to be there and that I need to update it. I attempted to create an index folder, but it said it already existed. Should I forget about that or do something else?