Sign in to follow this  
cocomutt

Search Engine Submission

I was reading through some of the tutorials about submitting my web site to the various search engines, and like the dingbat I am, I used the cPanel to do this. Of course after I did this, I read further to find that that was not advisable. Any way to fix the mess I got myself into or won't this have an adverse effect? Can I still submit manually to each site? :goof:

Hi Cocomutt...

I wouldn't worry much about it. Very few of the search engines even pay much attention to submissions. All of the big ones will find your site if other sites already in the search engines link to it. That's one of the great things about the Add Me To The Family forum and corresponding Family Sites page.

Excessive submission may cause a problem, but one submit will probably make zero difference. Just make sure other sites link to you and you'll get in there just fine.

Best wishes!

So I don't misunderstand you, are you saying that I can go ahead and register manually? How do I get other sites to link to me? Told you I am a dingbat! :goof:

How do I get other sites to link to me?

Ask them. Find sites that compliment yours. Sell sharpening stones? Ask cutlery sites to link to you. Have a fan site? Have other fan sites like yours link to you. Blog about your hatred of the man? Have other blog sites link to you. Of course, give a link back as well. :goof:

You can also look for directories of sharpening tools, fansites or anti-establishment sites and add yourself to those niche directories. They are easier to get into and are almost all spidered by the bigger engines.

Like Rob said, ask... send a note to the webmaster and say "I think our visitors would be interested in each other's sites so I would like to exchange links with you."

You can do a manual submission, but submitting to Google, Yahoo, etc is almost, but not entirely, completely useless. :unsure: They just don't look at that as much nowdays.

Charle97 asked for the url to my website. It's http://www.fieldsofblue.com. My store's name is Bluebonnet Acres. I sell handmade, luxury-quality bath and body products with no carcinogenic or harmful ingredients. I don't understand most of what is being put out there for me, but I guess that as I wade through some of this and other stuff I'm reading about, I'll eventually firgure it out! The waste is a terrible thing to mind....or is it the other way around?? :unsure:

Well, we are talking eco-friendly and bath type things. Look for other places that sell eco-friendly items as well and ask them to exchange links.

i'll link to you. if you don't want to be linked to by a blog, tell me and i'll remove the link.

See, there's one. It is a start. Go to the Add Me to the Family forum and follow the instructions and we will provide a link as well.

We just ask that everyone not turn this into a me-too thread. In the past someone mentioned linking and the whole topic went to pot because there were 30 "yeah, me too"s added. Please, by all means continue talking about any topics you desire that fit with hosting but we have to insist that public requests for links in the forums not happen.

I'm not fussing about the existing conversation - just don't want it to go down that road. For now, it's all good.

If you send emails to people with similar sites they will probably respond the same way or "sure, if you link to me." Many people understand that it is the best way to get seen. It's similar to what some businesses say... "If you see something you don't like, please tell me. If you see something you do like, please tell your friends. - Manager"

Word of mouth is the best advertising method out there and links are web pages version of word of mouth.