Sign in to follow this  
zoobie555

How Often Should I Submit.

I'm still a newbie when it comes to optimization and search engine submission.

Traffic blazer submits your site every 45 days. They also say that frequent submission can be viewed as "spam".

How often is too often? How long is too long? Is 45 days a good period of time to wait between submissions?

Just curious how often others submit and how well that works.

Jason

That is a fine amount of time. I would omit the Google submission and have another site link to you instead if you can.

As Rob hinted, you are better off with links to your site from other sites that are already listed on many of the search engines. They send out programs called spiders that follow links and it is much more reliable and quicker than the submit button.

I would not resubmit for at least 6 months and spend time building incoming links instead. Some places see it as spam, others drop you to the bottom of the list if you resubmit making it take longer than if you didn't. Personally, I would not resubmit for a year... in fact, I didn't when I set up all my pages.

If you are hosted here make sure you sign up for the Add Me To The Family topic under this forum and have TCH list your site on their pages. They have good ranking and will get the search engines to you quicker than a submit would.

In addition to that, many many experts will advise against automated search engine submission - in fact, the search engines themselves often tell you that. If Google knows you are being auto-submitted they will possibly even ban your site. Do it by hand and exercise every bit of patience you have - it takes awhile.

Edited by TCH-Jim

FWIW, when TB first came out I tried it. Auto submitted to Google and every other one out there. Never resubmitted though, they will keep comming to the site after the first submission. The big reason for having it come to your site via another page is to assist in the whole page rank popularity, getting better position. Time is your friend here, I would send it to whomever you want but try as Jim said and concentrate on getting links to you.

If Google knows you are being auto-submitted they will possibly even ban your site.

Jim,

Have you seen this? I have never heard of it, I need to do more research I guess.

Here's some stuff from Google's site about the submission thing... I trust this falls under fair use:

"Google is a fully automated search engine, which employs robots known as 'spiders' to crawl the web on a monthly basis and find sites for inclusion in the Google index. Since this process does not involve human editors, it is NOT necessary to submit your site to Google in order to be included in our index. In fact, the vast majority of sites listed are not manually submitted for inclusion."

"The best way to ensure Google finds your site is for your page to be linked from lots of pages on other sites"

"Don't use unauthorized computer programs to submit pages, check rankings, etc. Such programs consume computing resources and violate our terms of service."

"We do not require submission nor do we penalize sites for 'over-submission'. You are free to submit as often as you wish. However, given the nature of our inclusion process, your time is better spent improving the content and links of your site. "

As for automated submissions on Google - they don't currently delete you if you do this, but they are pretty explicit about hammering their servers with automated searches and I speculate, which I didn't make clear in my first post, that they may one day (soon?) decide to slam those who would try to spam via submission tools. At the very best it does nothing, why risk it? Those "terms subject to change without notice" provisions scare me sometimes. :)

As far as getting inbound links, you could always snoop around us TCHers to see if you can get a higher PR'ed (Google) site to link ya.

I ran across this quote and remembered this thread and thought I'd throw it out there. It's from Jill Whelan whom some consider an SEO Expert. All I know is that she makes big bucks doing this stuff whether she knows her stuff or not.

All automated submission programs waste search engine resources and bandwidth when they automatically submit your URL to them.  Automated submissions are against every major search engine's terms of service, so yes, it's possible that your site was penalized for using that program.

The program that was asked about was censored from the article out of a sense of fair-play.

Again, it's just another opinion and there are a billion of them out there. Take it for what it's worth.