.htm And .html

computerman

You can add a permanent redirect from your Cpanel if you want. You would simply tell everyone that abc.htm is now abc.html. It's not a great long-term solution but it will keep folks from getting "Error 404 - page not found" errors.

You can add a permanent redirect from your Cpanel if you want.
Highly recommended!

More specifics in the thread Htaccess, permanent 301 page move

It's not a great long-term solution but it will keep folks from getting "Error 404 - page not found" errors.

Not sure what you mean here Jim, it is a 'long-term solution', remember it is a 'permanent' redirect.

Edited by TCH-Scott

>It's not a great long-term solution but it will keep folks from getting "Error 404 - page not found" errors.

Not sure what you mean here Jim, it is a 'long-term solution', remember it is a 'permanent' redirect.

What I was thinking, and please correct me if I'm wrong, is that it would be better to have people that are linked to him link to the correct pages instead of relying on the redirect. Am I wrong?

Edited by TCH-Jim

... it would be better to have people that are linked to him link to the correct pages instead of relying on the redirect.

Most definitely, the only reason I would recommend a permanent redirect is in a case which two URLs have been used to identify the same page. This would apply to computerman's situation. I personally do not know of any other way to maintain previous links.

Most importantly (from my very focused perspective [wish one day someone would remove these darn blinders :ph34r: ]), it is the only way to pass indexing, PageRank, etc. to the new named page.

I have no index page in my public_html folder, it is in my /blog folder for my blog site. I put this, DirectoryIndex blog/index.html, in my .htaccess file. Is that not a good thing or am I totally off topic?

Rob:

You are on topic. My answer is one from my gut not concrete fact. I do not like redirecting an opening page. So many people used this in a negative way to spam the search engines. Thus, I always recommend a 'real' index.html on every single site. Again, this is just my gut feeling based on the history of misuse for redirects (i.e. better save then sorry).

Also, think about it... the most important page of any site (by far) is the index page. Most attention should be placed on if from both a visual presentation point of view and, most importantly, from a search engine point of view.

I guess my question to you would be why did you create a /blog directory? If this is your primary page(s), put that in the root (well the public_html directory) and create subdirectories for the remainder of your files.

If this does not make sense, I might be the one who is misunderstanding your situation... if so, sorry.