Sign in to follow this  
TCH-Thomas

Realplayer - Extreme Vulnerability Found

secunia.com/advisories/27248/

Rating: Extremely critical

Description:

A vulnerability has been reported in RealPlayer, which can be exploited by malicious people to compromise a user's system.

The vulnerability is caused due to a signedness error in MPAMedia.dll when handling playlist names. This can be exploited to cause a stack-based buffer overflow by e.g. importing a file into a specified playlist with an overly long name via the RealPlayer IERPCtl ActiveX control (ierpplug.dll).

Successful exploitation allows execution of arbitrary code.

NOTE: The vulnerability is currently being actively exploited.

Solution:

Apply patch for RealPlayer 10.5 and 11 beta:

service.real.com/realplayer/security/191007_player/en/securitydb.rnx

So who uses RealPlayer, anyways? ;)

Good catch on the bug, at least. Thanks.

Probably a lot that don´t know there are alternatives.

What are some good alternatives for RealPlayer?

Stefan

Personally I am using the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack found on codecguide.com. I don´t know if it´s a great replacement for everything realplayer related but they seems to update it pretty often.

On the same page, I found QT Lite (Quick time alternative) and it works fine too.

Personally I am using the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack found on codecguide.com. I don´t know if it´s a great replacement for everything realplayer related but they seems to update it pretty often.

On the same page, I found QT Lite (Quick time alternative) and it works fine too.

hmm...I already use K-Lite Codec Pack Standard with Media Player Classic. I'll check out some of the alternatives; I've rarely use RealPlayer, but have had it so many years I never think about it. Thanks for the info.

Stefan

Don´t know if these are new vulnerabilities or the same ones I posted about originally but being worded differently or if it´s some new vulnerabilities: secunia.com/advisories/27361/