Deep Six Front Page?

pamw

I want to remove the FP extensions from a site and publish by FTP. The extensions have finally gotten the best of me, most of my support tickets are due to error messages generated during publishing!

I'm also redesigning the sites and removing all the FP webbots and that stuff.

So, has anyone done this, and what procedure did you use? Is it best to remove the whole site and start over, or can the extensions be removed from the server and the updates sent by FTP?

You need to go through all of your html pages and remove all the web bot code, including forms ... which is some problematic to do as you need to be pretty precise when you do so.

Watch out for includes -- you'll either need to use something else to include these items or code per page.

Then delete all of the _vti_cnf folders from your site.

The uninstall FP extensions from your hosting account.

Once you have that all in place you're ready to go just do a complete transfer via FTP so your files match.

You'll have some tweaking to do once done especially if your site is large because you'll probably miss something in the process.

I am in process of doing the same on quite a few sites as I am moving them all to PHP pages. This allows me to use server side includes, such as for menus and so forth.

I second Bruce and JimE. That's the easiest and quickest...especially if you have a number of pages (that's what I've done and didn't have any problems). However, if you only have a few pages, then jnull's suggestion would work. Don't forget to ALWAYS have a backup in case everything goes nuts.

Frontpage, IMHO, is a good program to LEARN how to write HTML and web site creation. Once one has the basics down, then there are MUCH better applications for writing standards-compliant code. I think you'll find an equal number of users who love it and hate it!

Thanks everyone. I'm actually rewriting the whole thing with CSS, so I'll probably back it up and the remove it.

Lots going on, short time to finish!

Ambitious project. Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

(Don't blame you for moving away from FrontPage..)

Well, I did one of my samller sites, and it appears to have worked. The steps I took:

backed up site.

removed FP extensions

"cleaned up" FP extensions.

FTP'ed (is that a word!?) the entire site overwriting everything that was there.

I can browse the web and it works fine for me.

There are 4 different htaccess files in the home directory. Do I need those? If so, exactly what do they do?

Here is the site if anyone wants to look. (it is a new one, so there wasn't much to clean up.) The tough ones are coming.

http://www.candidpix.info

Thanks for the help! :sweatdrop: