Html Resolution Settings

Fionn McCuil

Hello Fionn McCuil and welcome to TCH forums.

Its most likely that your laptop and PC have different screen resolutions.

You can see this by closing all windows and right clicking on the desktop and selecting properties and then settings. You will now see that there is a screen dimension.

Mine at present is set to 1280x1024 however, I know at work and on my wife's laptop, that this is not the same.

You can play with the resolution by moving the sider back and forth and pressing ok. The screen will resize and everything will seem smaller or bigger and if you view the web page (remember to press F5 to reprocess the webpage your on) it will look different

This is a fact of life when it comes to web design. People either design for a certain size or go for a dynamic size depending on the users ability to view the screen

I hope this helps. Any more questions, please do ask!

JimE

Welcome to the forums Fionn McCuil :)

I make sure not to use fixed font sizes, I use em as the size

like 1em for normal text

so the visitor will see the text as their normal size no matter what their display size.

If you use tables, use a percentage for the width rather than a fixed size.

Welcome to the forums Fionn!

You won't win any friends with the "best viewed" message and I doubt anyone will change their screen resolution just to look at a web site. It may be worth the time to look at doing percentages so it at least tries to accomodate the user. If you run into any problems, the forum's full of folks that can help.

Edit: removed the quote - it wasn't necessary.

Edited by Deverill

Welcome to the Forums! tch_welsign.gif

I personally don't mind seeing the "best viewed" statement. At least I know that you are aware that your site may not be optimized for more than one resolution.

Using % for tables is preferable to fixed pixels when you have the choice. Then the table can stretch to fit the monitor as necessary while keeping a consistent look. But not all site building software can use % or CSS to define the design. In that case, build for your visitors. If most use 1024x768 then build the site for that resolution. If you have a lot of visitors that still use CRT (older, bigger model monitors) like many companies still have and many homes too, then consider 800x600 as your minimum size and build with that spacing in mind so they do not have extra scroll bars on the bottom.