Email Problem

I can send mail (SMTP) but not receive it (POP3). The problem only occurs on one account and I've deleted and reset the account in Outlook. Other accounts on this same domain work, so I know it's not a general problem. It's specific to this one email account.

In CPanel, I reset the password but that didn't fix it. My next thought is to delete the account in CPanel and reset the email account from scratch. Now, here's my question: If I delete the email account and reset it, will all the existing, not-yet-received, emails be deleted? How can I save the existing emails?

Thanks,

Jerry

Whenever I have problems with receiving POP3 emails for a single account, it is almost always tied to a corrupted email.

From WebMail, try deleting the very 1st email for the user, and chances are the rest will come down automatically.

From a web server where I do not have a web mail type of access, I usually run a local Telnet session from PC and telnet into the Mail/POP3 server to delete the corrupted email.

-kw

Okay, I'm ready to delete the email but I can't sign-in to web-mail. It just hangs. That's part of the problem. I can get into File Manager in Cpanel though. Any idea how to navigate to the right file using File Manager?

Jerry

I don't think so -- your mail is stored all in one big file on the system, not individual files for each message. Interestingly, though, you can actually read that file via file manager and thereby read all your mails in one REALLY, REALLY long strung-together format.

Try using a program that logs into your e-mail but only downlodas the header information. you can preview and delte messages with it. We used to use it at the ISP I worked at and it saves a TON of time.

heres a link to one i found on download.com

e-mail remover

the attbi link is the only one that worked

Edited by leezard

Jerry, actually I tried a couple of things but ended up using steps you could take from cPanel. I first moved the inbox from mail/presley.cc/jerry to the private folder. You can look at file sizes to get an idea of which of the many files is the problem. I then created a new, empty inbox to replace it. That allowed me into the email. I then went into the copy and edited it in File Manager and deleted the message that was so large. That dropped the size from 500K to 28K. I copied that file into the original location and it worked fine. If it had been my inbox I probably would have just looked at the inbox to see if there was anything I needed then just deleted it and then create a new empty inbox. All of this was done in the File Manager.

I did try using something like what leezard suggested. That is usually my first step as well but the header seemed to be corrupted so that program locked up as well.

Edited by Rickvz