com693

Frontpage With Ip

Hi. New TCH member here, and glad to be one. :dance:

Going to try to make a long story short.

In 2000 - purchased web hosting space with Yahoo, who registered our domain name with Network Solutions (:)). Currently leaving Yahoo for TCH. TCH is already up and running. Problem with Yahoo is that they never gave us our account information to log into Network Solutions to change our WHOIS info, DNS server pointers, etc.

So, until I go through this ridiculous paperwork verification process with Network Solutions, the DNS with them is going to point to Yahoo server, not TCH. So I have to wait to shut down Yahoo.

This also means that my domain name (decats.org) is going to continue to point to Yahoo server, and I have to use my IP until then.

The website is all done in FrontPage. Is there a way to open my site on TCH via the IP address? I have tried 69.50.210.182, and server106.totalchoicehosting.com/~jnkumwe, and all sorts of various combinations, trying to get it to authorize my credentials and show me my site. I think when I use the long address (server106.total......), it prompts me for a username and password, and I try millions of combinations of stuff to try to get it to authorize me, but it just keeps prompting, meaning I ain't doin it right!

I do not use the Publish feature of FP. I do "hot editing" (open the site, changes saved directly to the server, no publishing required).

Thoughts?

Thanks!

JM

Also ... caution if you visit the TCH hosted site ... the menu bar on the left won't take you very far on the TCH side of things. The software that programs that menu is coded to look to decats.org as it's main folder. So again, not something that's fixed until the domain switches DNS servers.

Another reason to get FP working here at TCH ... forms in the site do not work. FP probably needs to open and save these pages to get all the right jazz going again. I did not use publish to get the data here to TCH ... FTPd down from Yahoo, FTPd up to TCH.

Looking forward to help.

JM

:) Welcome to the family JM :dance:

I don't use FP, but have you tried

click on "File" then click on "Publish Web"

then enter

ftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx for the location to publish to

then your cpanel name and password.

just a thought.

I suspect many FP things may not work until DNS changes.

Thanks for the quick reply Don ... knew y'all would be on top of it!

Again, I don't use the Publish feature of FP. The process I use is like the reverse of the publish process. You designate a web to open, and you direct it to your site (right now, www.decats.org). It conencts, prompts for your username and password, you enter it, and it displays your web. You make edits, and the stuff you are editing and saving is directly done on the server ... so the web you are viewing is the directories on the server, not the local machine. When you're done, you just close out. The publish process has you saving the web on the local machine, then publishing up to the server.

I switched to hot editing early on in the game to avoid the hard drive clutter. While hot editing has its risks, it is OH so much faster than publishing.

Thanks again for the help. I'll stay tuned for more.

Don,

Your tip prompted me to try something. Hopefully this clues some FP experts in a little better.

I can go to Open Web in FP, and put in ftp://69.50.210.182. It will open the web there in the dialogue and show me the directories (which I can't believe I didn't discover earlier), but FTP does not support opening the web in FP. FP only supports opening and displaying a web via HTTP. When I do http://69.50.210.182, FP gives an error message and does not prompt to log in.

I seem to recall a problem with FP2000 not working with Ip address,

and needing to wait for DNS to take effect.

maybe the FP family members will be along and have the solution.

But mean while you could use an ftp client to upload the pages to your ip address

I guess when it comes down to it, here's what I'm trying to do.

I'm trying to open my web in FP using HTTP. DNS for the domain name decats.org is not going to switch until later this week pending paperwork.

Is there a way to open my web in FP via HTTP? For example, you can turn to your FTP client, type in ftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx and be prompted to log in to transfer files via FTP.

I want to do the same thing, only via HTTP. Since my HTTP domain name won't be switching over for a few days, is there an HTTP protocol that I can use in the meantime? Like, http://server106.totalchoicehosting.com/~jnkumwe or something like that. Right now, any HTTP address combination that I try faults with an error message.

Does anyone else "hot edit" with FP? I'm anxious to be assured that it will all fall together and work like it always has once I get the DNS chagned.

Front Page in general will not work with a shared IP due to the way it writes to certain folders and files. I have seen it fail to publish correctly before the domain has propagated resulting in folders needed by the system being deleted by FP. We then have to reprovision the account. Switching between publishing using http and ftp usually causes the extensions to become corrupted.

I would suggest importing the site into Front Page from the current host so that it works correctly on your local computer and then publish the site when the DNS changes have been made and the domain has propagated.

You can't connect using http and the IP address. Hot editting is possible after the domain propagates. In fact, that is necessary to get forms to work correctly in most cases.

Rick - you are the man!

While I've got everything uploaded to the TCH server already, I will take your advice and wipe it, and publish using FP. I'll need to clean up the web some so that I don't transfer a lot of old garbage over.

Thanks for the quick responses.

And Rick - once I get into the Network Solutions account, switch the DNS, and allow the domain to repropogate, I will be able to hot edit like I always have (via HTTP in FP)?

Y'all rule. Hands down.

You should have no trouble. I don't use FP but I keep a copy installed to test FP problems on the Help Desk. I generally connect using the Open Web option under the File menu and load a page, edit it slightly, and resave it to test. It works fine.

Propagation will take 24-72 hours normally once the changes are made at NetSol.

:dance:

This kind of attention just doesn't exist anywhere else. Glad to be part of the family!

I'll post back here later this week to confirm all happens as planned. Thanks again.

This little guy describes the relations with NetSol: :)

Oh, also ... I plan to switch the domain to TCH as well and get the free year.

But ... after all the current headaches.

If you need more help

there is a frontpage forum here where you can find more help or ask for help.

--------------

moving to frontpage forum :)

Publishing from FP right now after wiping things out. Got rid of some junk I didn't need.

"FrontPage Save Results Component" appears on pages with forms ... looks like that won't be solved until DNS propogation and opening the page / publishing the page through HTTP.

Just to update y'all...

Finally got through the ridiculous problems with NetSol ... DNS is propagating and will be looking to our new home at TCH soon!

Once the DNS propagation is successful, I will transfer the domain to TCH.

Thanks again everyone for the great assistance.