Why use iframes?

chuckmalani

Well done Stacy.  :thumbup1:

It looks great for being a new site. There´s only one thing...The iframe.

I use an iframe too on my site. I see that on your site I need to scroll two scroll bars sometimes, depending on how "long" the content is in the iframe.

I had the same problem on my site, so what I did was to see how long the longest content page that are supposed show up in the iframe is and then adjust the iframe length so I only have one scroll bar (in firefox anyway). This I believe only works if you design your site for a fixed resolution (in my case 800x600).

Have a look at my page if what I say doesn´t make sense.  :eek:

but why use an iframe in the first place? am im missing something?

but why use an iframe in the first place? am im missing something?

I use it mainly for not having to add menus and other "one time" stuff more than once.

Then a iframe comes in handy if usual frames doesn´t look good.

i agree that the implementations of iframes that i have seen tend to look much nicer than frames.

what i still dont see is why seperate parent and iframe html files would be appropriate for content specific to a single page. in the example of the pixie pixel website, she has her index.htm with all of her navigation template markup, and then she is including the frame for the content. why not just put the content in the page?

why not just make a standard, reusable "skeleton" html template with the "one time" stuff created once. then each time you want a new page, take that general template page and insert specific content.

she said she's using FP, i dont have experience with it. but in Dreamweaver, you create an initial template page 1 time. then you create each specific website page using that template. if you make changes to the template, it applies that change sitewide to each page derived from that template.

• 3 weeks later...

I used iframes on my brother's website homepage because he wanted to be able to add content easily when he made changes. It was really easy to send him to the news.html file and just add his content where he wanted. He didn't have to search past the long header and table elements and image elements in his index.html file.

Since he was intimidated by editing the index.html file, I made the news.html file and added it as an iframe to his main page. He is less afraid of editing the news.html file, and if he breaks it, he doesn't break the whole index.html page.

Maybe not be best overall solution, but it works for him right now.

Iframes are all over the place and I think it is very selfish, why not make uframes or usframes. Next will be the meframe or the myframe. It is this lack of consideration for others in our frames that makes the Internet such an unfriendly place and I for one am not going to take it anymore. :clapping: