Family Website

abinidi

I am looking for something I can install on my site that would work like the software at the popular family sites. I know that a lot of the features are already available on TCH, but not all together...

What I'm looking for specifically is an application with some of the following mdules:

Calendar support - (nice if it sends out email reminders of member's birthdays)

News - Allow members to post news items; maybe they appear on the homepage.

Photos - allows members to store and share photos with site members. Members may annotate and organize album content.

Chat room - integrated.

Individual Blogs / family history section.

Email section / mailing list section - would allow members to create email accounts and send messages to all family members.

So, I realize that this is a tall order. I guess that is why **Family.com can charge for it; but I just can't bring myself to host somewhere else, and they don't let you install their software on your own server.

hi abinidi, I believe www.dragonflycms.com can fill all those needs and more. it has a module for a chat room, blog, forums with integrated private email, calender support, and coppermine photo gallery is also incorporated into the software bundle.. it's what i use for my website. and i couldn't be happier. only thing that i can see , is that if your not profiecient in cms's or if you don't know much about web developement sometimes it can be daunting but they have a great support forums.

hope this helps!

Patricia

hi abinidi, I believe www.dragonflycms.com can fill all those needs and more. it has a module for a chat room, blog, forums with integrated private email, calender support, and coppermine photo gallery is also incorporated into the software bundle.. it's what i use for my website. and i couldn't be happier. only thing that i can see , is that if your not profiecient in cms's or if you don't know much about web developement sometimes it can be daunting but they have a great support forums.

hope this helps!

Patricia

Thanks, Patricia.

I installed dragonfly on my server. I don't see the modules for blogs/calendar/chat, but keep looking at thier support site before I give up! Thanks for a good suggestion. It looks promising! :)

They have a blog, calendar, and irc chat module (front end for an actual irc chat) in the downloads section. if you prefer something else you could always insert sigmachat or another one in yourself. :)

regards,

Patricia

Edited by Patricia

They have a blog, calendar, and irc chat module (front end for an actual irc chat) in the downloads section. if you prefer something else you could always insert sigmachat or another one in yourself. :goof:

Thanks for your help!

• 2 weeks later...

Patricia,

I've finally had time to go back and take a look at DragonFly CMS, and I'm not finding the calendar module or the chat module in the downloads section. Can you (or somebody else) help point me in the right direction?

Thanks.