Website Design

MRwisdom12

I am creating a website for a family busines and I want to be able to add a section for articles. Basically I want to be able to write up an article about a tool in the "Tool Shed" how to page and have it displayed when the user click on a link. I see some pages that have the link like http://www.m33supply.com/4/2. (Notice the 4/2 at the end of the link. This is just an example link. m33supply.com is the site I am working on.

Can anyone tell me how this is done? Is this done through some type of content management program? Do I create each page and it is called in to the main page?

Some other example are techrepublic, ZDNet, and CNET.

Thanks for your help

Scott M

no dont phpnuke has many serious security issues.

there is postnuke, envolution, mambo, drupal, xoops, and tikiwiki.

out of those postnuke, xoops ans tiki wiki probably have the most features and users in the order listed. The others ase supposed to be good also but I have no personal experiance with them.

well unfortuantely no. Phpnuke is not my forte. I'm a core programmer for postnuke not phpnuke. I can say that the security related sites consistantly list it as having security holes. I can also say that one of the sites I hang out at http://www.pclinuxonline.com finaly got tired of getting hacked and finaly got rid of phpnuke a few months ago.

There are those of us who have been warning them for years but they just kept upgrading to the latsest version of phpnuke hoping to solve the issues. Well lets just say their site averages about 10,000 page views a day and it's most likely big enough to be noticed. Under those types of conditions hackers just dont leave you alone. In there case the guy was nice to them and just kept messing with them but not doing serious damage. Still they got sick of it and finaly got rid of phpnuke.

Postnuke has much better security and as such take security very serious. As for tiki wiki and xoops I'm not a major programmer for them and cant say but I have not heard of the issues with them that I have with phpnuke.

You know I dont make any money off this or anything but I've been programming php for at least 5 years and have been involved at one time or another with most of the largest os projects out there. I watch allot of them and keep up with what is going on. It helps me to make better choices when I go to use or program for them.

Those systems may also be overkill for what you want. Blogging s ystems allow you to post articles and have links to them. Some of the popular ones are MovableType, Pmachine and ExpressionEngine, textpattern and wordpress amongst many others.

of the above textpattern, wordpress and pmachine and mt have free versions. for something very simple textpattern is very elegant and won't steer you wrong. but have a look at the feature sets and see if something there is what you're after.

This is so true. Even though I program for postnuke. I have recently started doing mods for phpbb and my next site will based on that because it meets my needs better for right now.

I checked out wordpress and it is gpl also which is a plus.

I don't have any experience with Textpattern, but amongst the others, I'd imagine based on mrwisdom12's post, that he is not that interested in a bloated Content Management System, especially one that can cause anxiety when installing. I believe of the systems mentioned, WordPress would be the simplest install and be more than satisfactory to complete the job asked for.

I respectfully disagree. Wordpress causes a lot of people problems because of the way the templates are all php - it's a bit of a geek toy. And the people on the forums tend to be a bit out there.

Textpattern takes about 5 minutes to set up and is very easy. But anyway - you should play around, install all of them if you want, and stick with whatever feels right to you.

hm interesting I should note here also that postnuke is very easy to install and that the next version which is currently being worked on .8 will use html templates that have features you have never seen before. I know since I helped code the templating engine.

At any rate I do agree that it is best to choose what works best for you. I also like to make sure that the info going around is correct.

• 4 weeks later...

I thank you all for your input and I will check out the programs you listed here. What I am interested is, me or the website owner creating articles and posting them to the site, We dont need it to be a forum type article based website.

I was wondering how the process works. My idea of a perfect world unless there is somethign better is that you can create the article in word import it into a web page and upload document directly to the server from an admin webpage using php. If the proper link on the website was clicked it would pull of the document correctly formatted in the website. But I DONT want it to open in word or as a PDF.

I dont think this is blogging, in that my idea of blogging is articles created by many people. but I could be wrong.

Sorry about the delayed response, I have been out of commision, on vacation.