What System

mike

Curious:

If you were to setup a pc that was used solely for accessing and surfing the internet.........

what operating system would you choose and why?

thanks. :potofgold:

Linux Ubuntu would be a choice you can then install just the needed package elements and have a very minimal system running with a user interface and web browser. Starts fast and easy to use.

There are many Linux stuff. You can go to the Ubuntu website and get them to send a CD/DVD to you and you can boot it and have a play around with it without installing it and install it if you like it. And it is free as well.

I am running a Fedora 7 Linux setup as an extra off my windows network, which allows me to develop in the environment that my websites are hosted on.

Good Morning, and thanks for the input.

So if I went to Ubuntu they would send me a disk that would , say, format a new drive install linux and be web-ready?

Good Morning, and thanks for the input.

So if I went to Ubuntu they would send me a disk that would , say, format a new drive install linux and be web-ready?

yes I did and they sent me 3 copies as I asked in case my children wanted to check it out. The disks come from Europe. But as Bruce said most people download them and burn them. If you have an ISP like mine they have free content and doesn't count towards bandwidth usage. But I've also had problems with downloaded distros as well wasting disks from corrupt downloads. But you can check them with files that do a checksum on them to validate they are correct.

Ubuntu is just one that is fairly easy to work with compared to something like Fedora or Redhat. CentOs is not bad but I only got it to install in test line mode, moved to Fedora 7, which is probably overkill for my use, but I don't mind that.

Edited by flashram

Well you give very little information to go on and I'm a guy that will take the easiest path. Windows.

It installs on most any system with no problems. Everything needed for connecting and accessing the Internet is included in the OS. You did not mention any requirements for security or virus protection so additional packages or work is not required.

Windows is hands down the easiest way to connect to the Internet.

<Madman gets ready for the flames>

Not from me! :potofgold:

But have you ever installed Ubuntu? It's pretty easy and pretty much configures itself.

I have been procastinating for years about putting aside a box just for playing around with Linux and hopefully will have the chance shortly. We just upgraded (purchased) a new desktop for the wife and I get her old one since the boys already have newer PC's then her old one. We used to operate on the "handme down system" where my wife or I rotated getting a new computers and the boys would get the leftovers. BUt now that they both work they are buying their own.

I just know about all the war stories my friends tell me about their troubles getting a clean install and whats involved. Does the install come with a browser and email or is that a separate package. How about network or Internet connection and setup, With Windows Network Wizard that process is a breeze now.

Well I was able to get Linux Fedora 7 setup and running and on the net no questions asked and I can quite assure you that I have no linux knowledge at all, bar what I have read since.

No it isn't easy from a text line input point of view, but I elected for GUI setups so everything is much the same as windows. My youngest daughter who is 11 wants and loves the Linux system on here computer.

That is why I suggested the Ubuntu as you can get the CD as it as Bruce said a Live CD without install, to get a good visual look at it.

Fedora suited me due to my requirements.

I too would suggest Kubuntu. Linux has evolved a lot in the last couple of years, installing it is not as painful as people say.

The only problem I faced was with my wiFi, but that too was quickly solved by a search on kubuntu forums with the Laptop model and the hardware details(I saw a specific thread on installing Kubuntu on my model). I have installed Kubuntu on many systems - family and friends - and the only machine that gave me an issue was mine :P

Whilst I'm a fan ( and use ) Ubuntu / kubuntu ..... I had a play with PClinuxOS 2007 recently ( to look at for windows users) http://www.pclinuxos.com/ and was impressed with it for windows users migrating. Has all the 'windows' type plugins already there ... found laptop wifi etc easily on boot

That sets up everything you need ( browsers, connections etc) straight out of the box .... not to tricky for a windows user to use. Again free ( of course, as it's linux) and a 1 CD download. You can run it as a live CD to play with and try.

I have been procastinating for years about putting aside a box just for playing around with Linux and hopefully will have the chance shortly. We just upgraded (purchased) a new desktop for the wife and I get her old one since the boys already have newer PC's then her old one. We used to operate on the "handme down system" where my wife or I rotated getting a new computers and the boys would get the leftovers. BUt now that they both work they are buying their own.

I just know about all the war stories my friends tell me about their troubles getting a clean install and whats involved. Does the install come with a browser and email or is that a separate package. How about network or Internet connection and setup, With Windows Network Wizard that process is a breeze now.

As folk have already said, try a LiveCD .... they are a bit slow - but give you a reasonable idea ... and don't touch your hard disk, so nothing to worry about in testing - just reboot back into windows when done.

They come with all the browser, email, Internet 'Wizard', OpenOffice and lots of other things included.

Yeah, kubuntu can manage a wide range of drivers etc - and I'd agree a better solution for the linux user ( and pretty good for the linux beginner to).

I was just impressed by PClinuxOS 2007 for a new linux user - moving from windows ... who wanted all the windows 'features' such as playing flash, MP3, wmv files straight out of the box.

I love it when I post a question that gets good input and TCH'ers are the champs.

I'm like Madman, Procrastinating that Linux trial on a pc. But , I am about ready to

give it a go.

How does the Linux browser line handle such things as popup ads, virus crap, etc?

:P :) :tchrocks:

Ubuntu - has the system for download, request free, or BUY from Amazon.

Is there a "loss of something" in the free download as compared to the BUY version?

The free and paid versions are exactly the same.

Free costs you something ( possibly) in bandwidth ant time to download .... the paid version will usually be sent in the post to you ( someone has the cost of making a CD and posting it). Ubuntu will send you the disk free anyway though - just takes a few weeks.

I'd download both ... burn them onto CD, and have a look

I have a question, my wife likes a certain game that is only for a window based system....if I install linux system or PClinuxOS or Ubuntu, will I be unalbe to play those games? Just for the curious, the pc game is The SIMS...and what does it do for a DVD movie?

My thoughts as well, as my daughter has a program that she can write stories with and that is why I am hesitant to put linux on her machine, don't want two systems running, one or the other she knows that. But if I could resolve that then she would be happy too.

Does the java games etc like runescape run OK with it too Andy, just think about our conversation and the Linux Box.