3 Questions

feelsome

:) Hi there, I am going to register my 1st domain name and hosting server in here.

Before doing that, I just have some questions..

I'm sorry - So many questions, Poor grammar :P

1. <from Domain name to Hosting>

Please tell me if I am saying correctly.

Register a Domain (with secureserver.net)

-> set TCH's DNS in secureserver.net. -> then I can build website here.

2. <on-line? How to?>

My pc is not very secure, and I couldn't set up for PHP/PERL server.

So I have to unzip/edit/chmod all online.

- Unzip MT file -> set MYSQL -> edit mt.cfg. -> set permissions ...

How can I EDIT files and CHMOD in the server(online)?

cPanel just can open file and allow to edit it? Or Telnet? Or FTP?

3. <Billing - Credit card>

I am liveing/studying in the overseas now. I brought my VISA card from my country,

which is mine but the bank account is my mom's.

My mom opened the card to me for an emergency(like this..haha..).

So my country of residence and credit card account country are not same.

I havn't had any problem using the VISA in any country I've been at all,

but just concern if there will be ANY trouble here.

and can I pay 2 years' fee at once?

Thanks in advance. (And big big thanks for your best tutorials!) Rock Sign

Hi there,

1). Yes, in essence you register the domain name and point it to our name servers, purchase your hosting account and when you get your welcome letter you can begin setting up your website

2). cPanel has a file manager that you can unzip files with and edit them as well. You may also use an FTP program if you have it and prefer to do so. I use both equally on my accounts.

3). If the card is yours the thing to do is use the address that the bill goes to when making a purchase.

Oh, and we accept only a year at a time as far as I am aware.

I hope I understood correctly, let me know if I missed something.

Edited by TCH-Rob

Thank you, Rob! :lol:

1. Ok. I'll try.

2. cPanel is so smart, I love it!

3. <new question : which address should I use>

I live in Australia,

when I register (both Domain and Hosting) do I write this Australia address where I am living in?

* I think I should use contact info in Australia (add, tel,...) in case you want to contact with me. In the future if I move to another place or another country, I will change that.

* But the bank is in my country, not in Australia (I brought the card from my country), so I am not sure what to do.

...In fact, I read the customer review page, and found a case that [different countries-related problem]. (a person who live in Thialand, use NYC address something like that..)

That's the reason why I wrote about "country"...

I wanted to double check in my case there won't be a problem.

And...the final question...

and can I pay 2 years' fee at once (instead of paying each year)?

There may indeed be an issue with your credit card country. Our payment processor uses an anti-fraud technique whereby the country of origin of the credit card is compared to the country indicated by your current online IP address. If they don't match, then the transaction may be suspected of fraud.

As Rob said, you should definitely put down the billing address for the credit card.

And no, we don't not have payment links setup for multiple years of purchase. Sorry, one year at a time.

Thanks, Lianna. :wub:

I think you need the 2 countries to be matched; the origin of the card(billing address) and current IP address.

... the country of origin of the credit card is compared to the country indicated by your current online IP address.

... you should definitely put down the billing address for the credit card.

I've been studying in here since 2000 and am going to study futher 3 years.

Accoding to your answer, I should use billing address(my country) for my VISA (which is from my country) but then my IP address won't be matched, and I will be be suspected of fraud.

I don't have a job in here and can't apply a credit card. I can't go back to my country now because I want to finish my study.

I then should wait until I finish study in here and go back to my country, shouldn't I?

What about my mom uses her card and her address in my country(where she lives) to register, then gives me the "domain+hosting space" as a set of gift to me? In that case those 2 countries are exactly the same. Is that unacceptable? well, I think so..

I hope we can find a way to let me in... :D (there is no "cry" icon)

Thanks for reading :huh:

What about my mom uses her card and her address in my country(where she lives) to register, then gives me the "domain+hosting space" as a set of gift to me? In that case those 2 countries are exactly the same. Is that unacceptable?

If you want to go the route that should be fine, I believe we have others that have had their parents pay for the account or have had them given as a gift.

Hi feelsome,

Hope I'm not butting in here, I only just joined myself but I'm from downunder too :wub:

I don't have a job in here and can't apply a credit card.

If you have a regular savings account with one of the major banks you can apply for a debit VISA card which you shouldn't have any problems getting. (I know of others in the same position as yourself and have successfully applied)

It functions exactly the same as a regular VISA credit card but uses your account funds rather than the bank needing to extend you the credit.

Hope that helps if the other arrangement doesn't work out :D

Good news! Thank you, Qinau.

In Australia the Debit Visa Card is not quiet popular so I have never heard of that.

My bank doesn't offer that kind of card, and I had to call some banks.

I finally found one (only 1 out of 5 :huh: ) that I can have a Visa Debit Card from them. I'm gonna open an account there! :)

With a Visa Debit Card, my IP address, the card origin and the contact address are all Australia, and I hope that there will be no problem like Lianna said.

Thanks guys! :)

Qinau, I've added that little debit VISA trick to my list for future reference in dealing with similar situations. There are a lot of people in the same situation as feelsome and this is a terrific solution!

Feelsome, we look forward to your company in the forums. Welcome home!

The thing is...

I have to have an account in the bank at least 3 months

B) that't the condition of getting a "Visa Dedit Card" of the bank.

So I should find the other way to register like:

...my mom uses her card and her address in my country(where she lives) to register, then gives me the "domain+hosting space" as a set of gift to me...

:)

Hope it won't be a problem.