Email Program Freezing

LunarMagic

I've been using Eudora (Sponsored) for probably over 2 years now. It works great. But just recently (within the last week or two) it's started freezing very consistently when connecting to the server and downloading the mail. It happens on both my laptop and my desktop computer. Is that a server connection problem? Or what else would be causing it? And how do I fix it? Argh, it's getting really annoying.

Hmm.. do any specific error message pop up? Another thing I would check would be contacting your ISP to make sure they haven't started to block any ports recently you'd need to access your mail.

Also, you might try setting up your mail through a diffrent mail client and see if you have the same problem.

The odd thing is that it's connecting most of the time and downloading half the time. No error messages, the whole program just freezes; I have to close it down and re-open it and hope it works the next time. It's also timing out a lot recently. I will contact my ISP, they apparently want to upgrade to "faster modems", perhaps that is the reason.

It could be the ISP, especially if you have a moderate amount of email that causes the download to be lengthy. Some systems monitor for what they consider costly operations and reroute them.

For example, the reason the phone company hated (still hates?) modems is that in a normal conversation there are gaps of silence and during those gaps they can reroute your call to less busy lines. A modem needs a solid carrier and can not be rerouted without dropping so they were stuck. Too many modems and certain locations get "All circuits are busy now." messages.

I know of nothing else off the top of my head to cause it. Try running ping -t totalchoicehosting.com during your next email download and see if the pings get through when email hangs. This may help narrow down the source of the problem.