After tweaking, modifying, and watching the results... one of my sites has catapulted from the eighth page of Google to the #8 position on page one for a VERY competitive keyphrase.

The site was launched about six months ago and has been an ongoing project.

When I came to TCH, I started reading the info from posts made by Dsdemmin. Before TCH, I had invested in a book (ebook) in search engine positioning by Planet Ocean. The book was a good start but this stuff is changing all the time so some of it was outdated.

I would encourage any TCH family member to read his posts very carefully and to REALLY examine your site for possible improvements. I can't tell you how many times I skimmed a post, thought "Yeah, I've done that." when in reality I hadn't. I was sloppy and lazy.

I will also tell anyone else who wants to improve their search engine results that you should use each month as a test. Get a hunch, change something (slightly) and see what happens. This is how you will find out for CERTAIN if something works or doesn't work.

Also, check your keyphrase in the search engine of your choice and see who ranks the highest. Why do they rank so well? Who is linking to them? You'll learn a lot by doing your homework.

Out and out tricks usually don't work and can get you banned.

For all of you with dynamic sites... I'll tell you that my own experiments indicate to me (and I believe this wholeheartedly!) that although Google will index and follow dynamic urls... they give better ranks to static ones (or apparently static ones :dance: )

If you have dynamic urls (www.yoursite.com/index.php?id=34&cat=12) then you might want to invest the time and energy to recode your site for static looking urls.

I will also tell you that although search engines can 'read' text links better than image links... there are times when image links are the thing to use, and times when text links are the thing to use. (Some links you might not want the search engines to 'read')

Pay special attention to your home page and every detail about it. How many outbound links are there? Which ones are text and which are images? What do your header tags say? Your title? Your text?

The more competitive your keyphrases and the niche you are trying to crack, the more focused your site has to be on one (maybe two) keyphrases.

Would you rather be in the top five for only one of your keyphrases or on the third page for several of your keyphrases?

And keep going for inbound text links with your keywords in them.

I don't know everything but I've learned a ton from reading, testing, and watching.

I've jumped from being buried in the eighth page to a very good position on the first page in a competitive category.

It CAN be done.

And as a final note, from someone with 13,000 pages indexed in Google, I will tell you that Dsdemmin is right, quality trumps quantity.

Although I hope to soon have both.

Thank you Dsdemmin. Your writing is often cryptic... but figuring it out has been fun.

Edited by surefire

Thanks, Jack, for the post. I am a firm believer of credit where credit is due and am glad to see Scott get some of his deserved credit. Just think, he could be making big bucks on just what he gives us for free!

The summary of probably 30-50 posts is also a good one. I'm glad it's working for you!

Great job!

Jack,

I cant agree more. I still go and look at the posts that have been made to see if there is something have missed. Scott has been on the money every time. Slowly I am getting to the position you are. Many of the pages I have do first page, I just need to work on the home page a bit more. I am glad to see you getting to where you want to be and hope it pays off for you.

Scott, I am still saving for your truck. :dance:

Your writing is often cryptic... but figuring it out has been fun.

OK... what the heck is that suppose to mean! :)

It is interesting... some days I feel like giving 'more' then others. I guess if one were to read all my posts and put them together???? I do look forward to a day where I may moderate a paid forum in which 'all' the beans will be spilled... specific advice, on a specific subject for a specific site. Maybe we will call it the Non-cryptic SEO Forum. :)

Scott, let me add my thanks here too.

I have always thought my key phrase should be

'join pet site' or 'join a pet site'

I keep checking google and others now and then,

and then try changing something else after reading some more,

well , I have a few more search engines to work on, but

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-...q=join+pet+site = #1

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=join+pet+...UTF-8&fr=fp-top = #1

http://search.aol.com/aolcom/search?query=...x=26&Search.y=9 = #1

http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=join+...site&FORM=SMCRT = #3

http://www.dogpile.com/info.dogpl/search/w...52Bpet%252Bsite = #5

:) :) :dance: :dance: :dance: