Is Ssl Necessary With Paypal & Google?

Hello.

I am setting up Zen Cart and am getting very little feedback from the Zen Cart Forum.

I am glad you folks are here.

My question is in regards to SSL on my Zen Cart Configuration:

If I am not using a special credit card system, but am using Paypal and Google instead,

do I need SSL on my website?

Both Paypal and Google have very strict restrictions on security and seem to be enough.

Thanks,

queenpictoria

If you are passing off all of the transaction services to Google or PayPal then I would say no you do not need SSL. However, I assume that you will be passing information to Google or PayPal and they will be passing it back to your store. In this case you want to have a cert to protect you and your customers.

If you are passing off all of the transaction services to Google or PayPal then I would say no you do not need SSL. However, I assume that you will be passing information to Google or PayPal and they will be passing it back to your store. In this case you want to have a cert to protect you and your customers.

Dick,

Thank you for your response.

I will check with Paypal and Google.

I believe the transactions happen inside the actual accounts online.

I will let you know what I find out.

Regards,

queenpictoria

It appears that the interface between Google Checkout and Zencart is a 'level two' integration, which requires an SSL certificate, according to Google.

Many people believe that you should have a secured site anytime you are collecting personal information fron visitors, including the Create Account process or the Shipping Info section of checkout.

It appears that the interface between Google Checkout and Zencart is a 'level two' integration, which requires an SSL certificate, according to Google.

Many people believe that you should have a secured site anytime you are collecting personal information fron visitors, including the Create Account process or the Shipping Info section of checkout.

Thank you stevesh.

I am discovering that according to two supervisors at Paypal (I always get more than one view)

the buyer is transferred to Paypal before entering their information so it is secure without SSL.

I appreciate your information about Google.

I am newer to Google and will check it out closer.

Best,

queenpictoria