Looking For Forum And Auction Services

Mae

I tried the php script in cpanel for a forum. It certainly looked nice. Two major problems though. (1) No instruction manual. I had a hard time figuring out how to manage the forum. (2) SPAM big time. I was getting thousands upon thousands of computer generated spam a day. So if I could solve those two problems, I would be happy to use the php script in cpanel. But if there is a better way - an inexpensive service or software or something to help a novice set up a nice forum (registered users only and big time spam blocker), I am interested. I'd like something user friendly (the for "dummies" version). Any suggestions?

Now on to auctions. I would eventually like to set up an auction service. It would be small (I'm not trying to be ebay here). It would be a place for teachers to buy and sell classroom materials from each other. I would need something easy to install, easy to manage, and well...just easy. Any ideas?

Forgive me if I'm in the wrong forum... :thumbup1:

Hi Mae,

As for the forum I will assume you are referring to Simple Machines Forum (SMF) that can be found in the Fantastico part of Cpanel. If yes, a manual can be found here.

There are a lot of SMF users in this forum, so hold on and someone will know how to get rid of spammers.

Auction scripts are something I have never used, so I can be no help there.

Been running an SMF forum for several months now with excellent results. Would recommend it.

There are a couple settings I use that limit access and reduce spam in the process:

To post you must register. Registration is set for Member Activation (When this option is enabled any members registering to the forum will have a activation link emailed to them which they must click before they can become full members). The forum software already includes a choice of CAPTCHA images so does not require external script to handle it. So these will limit spambots from posting on your forum. Can also block bots from grabbing member information if they are not registered.

Then in your MEMBER PROFILE settings, you can check a box to HIDE EMAIL FROM PUBLIC. This setting will stop other members from grabbing your email address.

You can also set each section of the forum to visible/not visible to non-members. You can also set member information off limits to all non-members. So if someone wants to read but not post, you can set guests to view. If you want your guests to see only SOME of the forum, you can make those areas not viewable by guests. The interface is VERY flexible and VERY easy to use. Gives the admin control over several layers.

• 2 weeks later...