How Does Alexa Work?

NFreak

If you don't know what Alexa.com is, it's a site that will show you the top rated websites on the internet. You can search for a domain name and it will give you it's ranking relative to other sites. Recently my site has jumped into the top 100,000 websites for the weekly rating, but the overall ranking is 609,345.

Can anyone explain how they find the data for site hits and visitors and stuff?

Feel free to post your site ranking as well. :D

They use data from people who have downloaded the Alexa tool bar - which feeds back information about every site that user visits. They use that as a sample to multiply up for ever user of the internet, and hence estimate the number of hits, visitors and stuff.

As to my overall ranking - 142,019 - so it's saying that for every million web users, 10 users will visit my site - not sure I believe that :whip:

For TotalChoice Hosting ranking 16,878 so 65 people in every million visit TotalChoice Hosting...

From their site;

What is Traffic Rank?

The traffic rank is based on three months of aggregated historical traffic data from millions of Alexa Toolbar users and is a combined measure of page views and users (reach). As a first step, Alexa computes the reach and number of page views for all sites on the Web on a daily basis. The main Alexa traffic rank is based on the geometric mean of these two quantities averaged over time (so that the rank of a site reflects both the number of users who visit that site as well as the number of pages on the site viewed by those users). The three-month change is determined by comparing the site's current rank with its rank from three months ago. For example, on July 1, the three-month change would show the difference between the rank based on traffic during the first quarter of the year and the rank based on traffic during the second quarter.

My little tutoria site shows as 146,367 moving up with a bullet! According to them, in the last three months my site's reach went up 67%. :no2: