Hacked!

jgbiggs

Don't know if this is the correct forum... but here goes.

Some time on the afternoon of 11/09/2005 someone gained access to my account and changed (as far as I can tell nothing else) the index.php file on my wordpress blog.

I noticed this the next day, changed the password to the site, and had tech support restore my userspace from a back up a few days prior.

Aside from the hacker somehow guessing my password, how elese could this have happened? Is there some other security measures I could have taken?

Just make sure you have a hard-to-get password and remember that programs can be set up to try to get in so don't use anything like a word that would be in a dictionary, names, etc.

I don't know of any current security issues in Wordpress. Do you have the most recent version? That is very important too.

• 4 years later...

I have a couple of questions and hope this is the correct topic to post them. First off, in the past week or so, someone other than myself has had access to two different c-panels (my own site with TGH and one I manage for a friend that has their own site with TCH). I was editing on the index.html pages of both sites and noticed there were a whole bunch of "extra text" that I hadn't put there, at the very bottom of the page. It looked like links to some other sites for ads. On my site, I deleted all the text a few days ago. I deleted it on the client's index.html page today, as I just noticed it. I did copy it and saved it in an email to myself (wished I had saved it from my site)! Is this an indication someone may have hacked these two sites. This was a huge surprise to me when I found the "extra text" on the two sites, hosted by TCH.

Also, I do believe there are some errors on the c-panel main pages of the two sites. I just noticed in the passed couple of days, right under the "disc space usage" area, it reads, "[a fatal error or timeout occurred while processing this directive]. I clicked on those words and a pinkish background with some kind of a code shows. To get the pinkish background with some kind of a code to go away, I have to click on "collapse stats". To see the error words, "[a fatal error or timeout occurred while processing this directive]" again, I have to refresh the main c-panel page. Would these errors messages be causing "those links with ads top appear" somehow, or am I just being naive? Need advice.

My site is www.rocknvswranch.com. The other one, www.b-westerncollectables.com .

I'm in the process of changin' passwoods, then I will. Thanks Thomas!!

A huge "Thank You" goes out to TCH-Kris!! You were very helpful!! :)