Sign in to follow this  
SEO

Question On Google

From a private message:

I've been having a heck of a time getting some of my sites even listed in Google at all.

I've seen some websites that have been up for one week with nothing more than a "We're coming soon" listed fairly high at Google where my "well designed" sites get nothing.

I know Google likes to find sites by backward links... but I think I've seen some sites that don't have backward links yet.

Any tips or ideas?

I've seen some websites that have been up for one week with nothing more than a "We're coming soon" listed fairly high at Google where my "well designed" sites get nothing.
This can occur during a fresh crawl. Scenario: Google is crawling a high PR (PageRank) site that has a 'new' link on it to page X. Page X will automatically be included in the index (sort of). It is not truly indexed rather in the queue to be indexed. However, since it was a highly ranked site that got it in the queue, Google extrapolates a 'fresh' (and very temporary) PR for that page (Page X). Therefore, brand new pages can be given temporary high rankings.

I know Google likes to find sites by backward links... but I think I've seen some sites that don't have backward links yet.

A site appears in a Google search but does not contain backlinks: this is related to the above description. Actually, this is exactly what you would see. Meaning this page is not truly indexed but is in the queue. The PR is extrapolated from the truly indexed page (or pages) that have linked to it.

Read more on Google's different crawls.

Any tips or ideas?

Read all the search engine optimization articles supplied by TotalChoice Hosting:

Begin Here

Thank you for the info.

I have a very specific question... first the info:

Website with 500 pages

Site map linking to all major folders

Link to site map on main index page

No redirects

No java

All text links

Several (5 or 6) inbound links from PR 5+ pages.

Site is in dmoz

Now the question...

Can you think of any reason why this site hasn't been deep crawled in three months?

Several potentials reasons:

1. Spam penalty... there are lots of tactics which are considered spam which can penalize rank or remove sites (or never add) from directories. One of the most common 'surprises' is linking to bad neighborhoods (e.g. link farms).

2. Indexing (with Google) can take awhile these days. For instance, we are at the tail end of a dance right now that is taking an unusually long time. Depending how the ball bounces, it can take three months or longer to be indexed. I tell our clients that top rankings (not just indexing) requires patients for 180 days.

I do not want to get into this practice at this time but,

what is the URL?

Jim,

That wasn't the site that I was referring to... but yes, that would be an example.

That particular site doesn't match all of the criteria I listed in my question.

If you don't mind, I'd prefer it if you removed that link from your post.

DS Demmin:

I truly wasn't expecting a review...

But since you asked:

Travel Nurse Depot

Site launched approx late March, early April.

Approx 2,500 pages indexed by Alta Vista... so I expect that there is at least the ability to follow the links.

I know that some of the pages use dynamic urls... several thousand of my pages do not.

Looking foward to your input.

One other thing...

I'm in the Yahoo index too

(Ponied up the $299 and not feeling like I'm getting my money's worth so far.)

Jack:

I will look it over tonight, not that I am going to give you a 'real' review but I will see if anything blatantly stands out.

I will get back to you.

Thanks.

If I can help you out with server side scripting... let me know.

Jack:

It looks to me like you are just early in the process. You have seven pages queued in Google's index. Once these are truly indexed, following visits will be deeper crawls.

Depth of crawl depends on 'How important a site is.' which is influenced by the number of quality inbound links you have. I count less then 10 inbound links to your site... that will never get you deep crawled. Therefore, get more links!

The good news is that I do not believe you are under any penalty... they can be a serious pain, which can take many months to rectify.

Good luck.

One side note:

I could not get you to come up in dmoz. They did not drop you did they? I see that that you were there (dmoz listing in Google's cache). Not sure if this is a red flag or not.

You do not use doorway pages do you?

Do you have any other URL's pointing to similar or the same site?

No doorways. I have my webdesign site pointing at it as a portfolio example.

The question about dmoz is another frustration... I'm in their category Health, Nursing, Employment... but the site doesn't come up under any search terms. And of course, the one email I sent to the editor was ignored... just asking for clarification. I was curious why a site name "Travel Nurse Depot" wouldn't pop up at all under their listing of "travel nurse".

I'm beginning to think that if your site wasn't listed pre-2001 then you're just S.O.L.

Hey, thanks for taking a look.

I'll probably hire someone to do it for me if this continues.

I'll probably hire someone to do it for me if this continues.

someone :D

Yes... I've seen that and will take that into consideration.

You have seven pages queued in Google's index. Once these are truly indexed, following visits will be deeper crawls.

How do you see how many, if any pages you have queued in Googles index?

That will be explained in tonight's write-up.

Stay tuned. :D

That will be explained in tonight's write-up.

My "tonghit's" was off by a couple nights... sorry.

Here it is