aussiecatwoman

Stuck With Forms

Hi there,

First time I'm using the forum though I've been a member with TCH for over a year now!

Have inserted a form into my webpage and all was going well, but it doesn't work. Have followed the tutorials, but still no luck. First it told me my FP extensions were disabled, but after checking the CPanel, that's not true, they are.

Secondly it came up with the following error:

An error has occurred with this script

Char: 1

Object Expected

Code: 0

URL: file://c:\documentsandsettings\XTA\LocalSettings\Temp\Front PageTempDir\pvw29.htm

Do you want to still keep running scripts?

Yes No

My website is www.whats-happenin.com and the form is an entry for a competition which starts tomorrow!

Please help me...Thanks in advance

Tracy

First, welcome to the forums. Next, try removing and reinstalling the Extentions. Sometime that fixes the problems. Next, I noticed that the URL is looking for a file on C: drive, meaning that it's on looking for something on YOUR computer. Are you sure the file is located on the server? If it is, change the path to point to where the file is located. Hope this helps!

Hi,

Welcome to the forums :P

For the second issue: As Steve says, your site seems to be linking to "URL: file://c:\documentsandsettings\XTA\LocalSettings\Temp\Front PageTempDir\pvw29.htm" which is a local file on your computer - you need to make sure all the links are to the server rather then your local hard drive.

If you can give us a link to the actual form, we'll have a look.

Welcome to the family and forums Tracy :P

Andy and Steve covered what I was going to ask.

Hello everyone. Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, I'm quite useless when it comes to "redirecting" etc.. Despite the fact that I did the site myself, I had a LOT of help from the TCH world, for which I am extremely grateful. The website is on my computer, so am not quite sure what I'm supposed to do with regards to the redirecting.

Here is an attempt at a link to the page if that's any help:competition

Thank you again!

Tracy

Welcome to the forum, Tracy. :P

http://www.phorm.com/jr.php3

This is all you'll ever need again when it comes to forms. Also if you are new to web building learn basics of php it will save you a lot of trouble and headaches in the end. Total choice supports it and I have found that I try scripts and things from other languages and the php ones just work. Good luck. There is a tutorial on using phorm jr. somewhere on these forums too. If not I will find it for you.

Thanks for the link, Tracy. Unfortunately, it goes to an .asp file and TCH doesn't support asp. It also appears to be a FP-generated file. As nkycomputers pointed out, by learning the basics of php you will have a lot easier time. Don't worry...it's not that hard! Tutorials and help files are found all over the net. If you look at the content in the html tab in FP, that will also help you learn what's going on behind-the-scenes.

I haven't used the phorm program that nkycomputers provided the link to, so I can't help you out specifically with that. But anything that you can do to move away from .asp files (in my own personal opinion) is a good thing...unless of course your site needs them!

Hope this helps with a little guidance. If you still have any questions, ask away. I'm sure someone will point you in the right direction. Hopefully one of our resident MS-guru's madmanmcp will chime in to help you out.

Hello again everyone.

Ok am thoroughly confused now. Have downloaded the phpform suggested, but now can't find it, and I understand that i am supposed to change permissions or something in the File Manager of Cpanel, but don't know where it is.

Am tearing my hair out now, because I need this to work by tomorrow and am running out of both time and patience.

So far I see that my .asp file won't work, and apparently I was supposed to realise when I did my site that it wouldn't and that php or mysql were the versions I was supposed to use. Well, I didn't because firstly, I didn't know what they were, and secondly, didn't expect to have to use them.

So, here I am. Stuck. I have a form that I want to put in - I don't mind doing it again in any other programme, I just don't have a lot of time to learn it, so am panicking now. Can anybody help me? :D

Firstly, take a DEEP breath and exhale slowly. (You'll lose less hair that way!) Now, let's take the problems 1 at a time. You can do a search on your system for the file "phormjr.zip". Then once you find it, you can unzip it (assuming you have some type of program on your computer that does that). Next problem...cPanel. If you go to ht*ps://www.your-web-site.com:2083/, you can enter your username and password that you used when you signed up for hosting. That will get you into cPanel. Somewhere in cPanel is File Manager. When you click on the folders or files in File Manager, look at the screen and you should be able to see where to change the permissions.

Learning something new is not easy. Just remember that EVERYONE was in your shoes once before. We all asked questions and experimented with different deseigns and programs to learn what we know today. Take your time and experiment with either phormjr or DodosMail and see which one you like. Then add it to your site and test, test, test. By taking the time and not rushing, you'll have a more enjoyable time designing your site and that will come across to your visitors as well.

Ok, am a bit calmer now. Have downloaded a trial version of WinZip to unzip the file. Where should I save the php/form file in order to use it? Currently, I found it in with My Webs, but can't seem to get it to work/ run from there. In addition to that when I tried to put it on the desktop, I made all my icons go blue, so am not particularly happy about that :-(

Re: Cpanel, I can get to (added it to my favourites), but don't know what "permissions" I'm supposed to change or to what.

Finally, am not having fun with this at all. My actual site was great to put together and I did have fun, but currently there's no fun in inserting this form given that I need it by tomorrow, and am sure I can't learn what I need from these new programs by then. For the time being, I have told my viewers to cut and paste the form and send it by e-mail, which is a terrible second choice, but I have no option.

Just so you know...I have a magazine, the new edition of which starts being distributed tomorrow and I have mentioned it clearly that they can enter the competition inside online. I am actually expecting to get quite a good response - thus the stress and panic at this time.

Thanks for your help...

I know how hard it is to figure something out on a deadline. It's also frustrating when everyone just tells you to learn something else, but doesn't tell you how. Well.....

heres how to use phormjr. On a personal note I have recieved so much help from the family forums here I am glad I can finally return the favor so I hope this helps you.....

What you need to do

1. Unzip phormjr.zip -extract is the button in winzip to unzip zip files -extract to a folder on your desktop it will make it easier.

2. Open the folder you extracted to - you will see several files (calm down they are simple and you don't have to know any PHP the wonderful folks that made it made it so you don't have to know any PHP really.

3. The files you need are - ack.html, email.txt, form.html, widgets.phm, phormjr.php, and widgetlog.txt (you need these files loaded on your website when you are finished editing them.

What to do with them

1. ack.html- pretty simple it is the acknowledgment your customer gets after clicking submit you can put anything in here you want them to see.

2. email.txt- This is the template for what you will see when they submit it to you.

3. phormjr.php - don't touch this one it is the magic in this process some wonderful programmer out there made this so we can all benefit from his genius.

4. widgetlog.txt- Ok this is were my expertise fails I can't get this one to work either maybe somebody can help me with that. lol I know what it does just gives me an error. Don't worry it isn't necessary for this to work.

5. form.html - this is the html your customer will see. You need to edit it and the email.txt file to have the fields and text boxes you want your customer to see. Remember form.html(customer end) email.txt(your end)

6. widget.phm - tells phormjr.php what to do with form.html and were to send it to. You need to put your email address in this file in place of what is there. This will send the form submit to your email.

7. Now code form.html into your website..... Load all the files I listed above onto your main site and it should all work.

Make sure you keep the same format as is already there and you will be alright. This is just as easy as building a website just different file extensions.

If you have any questions I will try to answer them. Sometimes I don't explain things very clearly so tell me what you think.

Edited by nkycomputers

P.S. php will not run on your machine. You will need to load it to your website just like html or asp files. Total choice servers run the program for PHP you don't have to do anything for that it is already there. So what you need to do is edit the files I mentioned above, load them to your site, then (like Steve said) test test test. I also don't think I had to change any permissions so don't worry about that until later. Also how do you transfer to your site? The filemanager on cpanel takes forever. You might want to check out something like smartftp. It is a download/upload program that you can use to log in and transfer files to your website. It works like MS Explorer so you can just drag and drop files onto the server. :notworthy: That is another thread though. Good luck

Edited by nkycomputers