OnlineAutorama

Folder names?

When i published my site using frontpage, it uploaded several folders and files.

The folders are named _vti_bin, _vti_cnf, _derived, _fpclass, _overlay, _private, _vti_log, _vti_pvt, _vti_txt.

Some of the folders done even have anything in them, some of the folders seem to have some copies of my GIF and JPG files but they are much smaller then the real GIF and JPG files being used.

What gives? Can these be deleted to free up space?

Thank you.

Those files allow all the "neat" features of FP such as themes and templating to function. You can try deleting them, but if you are using any of FP's features other than just pure-plain HTML then they will probably break.

These are unique to FP folders. Folders with an underscore at the beginning of them are hidden... they cannot be seen by search engines and so forth. They can only be accessed if someone knows they are there. And, they cannot be accessed unless you know the specific file in them.

For example: if you try to go to www.******/_private you'll get a page not found or permissions notice. But, if you go to www.******/_private/mypage.htm (and mypage.htm is there) you'll see it.

Highly recommend you do not delete these from the site or from your local PC's copy. FrontPage uses these folders, as mentioned earlier, for it's functionality, and thus will always look for them.