Protection On Shared Server?

I'm pretty new at managing my own web-hosted site and domain. I've had my own website for years under whatever ISP I've used (currently Comcast). On those, I never had to worry about virus and malware protections for my files or email.

Recently, one of my email address on TotalChoice had a virus attachment come through on it. My local computer, using MS Outlook and Norton's caught it. I immediately went into my mail manager and turned off the space allocation for that email address (the email with the virus had been deleted when Outlook picked up the mail).

What does one need to do on their shared server for protection? Would I buy a copy of, say, Norton's to upload to my shared webspace? I would imagine there is a better program for this situation. How about protection of the email online?

I know there are free virus checkers online. If I were to use one of those, how do I go about telling them to check the space on my shared server, and not the computer terminal I'm working from?

Thanks for any help in de-mystifying this for me!

Patti Stoll

Your ISP is running your email through a virus filter before passing it on to your email client.

With your account here the servers do no virus filtering so it is up to you to run virus protection software on your own machine (keeping it up to date) that will scan the mail when being downloaded.

TotalChoice Hosting prohibits the sending and receiving of certain file extensions in an effort to minimize viruses getting through but there is no scanning of the emails for viruses. You can see a list of the extensions being blocked by clicking here.

Thanks for such a quick answer, Bruce. I do know that my ISP (Comcast) runs virus protections for me on my mail (even tho some do get through). I also have all sorts of protections on my own computer, from malware to virus, and all of my email is screened by Norton's when I download it.

My big question here is, since the servers on TCH do no filtering, how do I (and should I) go about running a virus scan on my shared server area? I stay pretty much on top of everything I download (or upload for that matter). But, the email that I was talking about that had the virus attachment on it, came through my webmail on TCH. If it hadn't been deleted, it would still be sitting there with a virus attached. If I had been reading it using, say, Squirrel, it might have opened the virus, or would it have been stopped somehow, by TCH.

I'm not worried about what is happening through my ISP and on my personal computer...I'm worried about what I should be doing on my TCH website, such as scanning it regularly with software. And if so, what software would be good to do that with?

Thanks again, Bruce....

Guest Serpentine

AFIK, you cannot install anything to check the server. On a shared account it would have to be server wide, you would need root access and it would have to be installed for you. Aside from the filtering you are doing now on your local computer there is not much more you can do.

AFIK, you cannot install anything to check the server.  On a shared account it would have to be server wide, you would need root access and it would have to be installed for you.  Aside from the filtering you are doing now on your local computer there is not much more you can do.

Well, good. I'm not too worried, but I just wanted to be doing everything I can and should do. Now, I can just put it to rest and make sure I download my mail to check it, and keep it deleted immediately after download.

BTW, what does AFIK mean?

Thanks so much for the help, Serpentine!

Patti

Edited by clayartisan

Since the server you are on is running Linux it is pretty much safe from becoming infected with a virus. Not that it can't store files that contain a virus but the server itself is pretty safe.

If you are putting content on your site to be downloaded by others be sure to check it for viruses before uploading it.

Since the server you are on is running Linux it is pretty much safe from becoming infected with a virus. Not that it can't store files that contain a virus but the server itself is pretty safe.

If you are putting content on your site to be downloaded by others be sure to check it for viruses before uploading it.

Thanks, Bruce. Peace of mind in that. My site doesn't involve uploads/downloads except for my own file maintenance, so I'm probably good. Have a great day!