rnmcd

Ms Frontpage 2002 And .php Files

I have MS Frontpage 2002 and I am having someone design a website for me and he is using .php .... which I know practically nothing about.

When I try to open one of the .php files in Frontpage 2002 the file always opens in a separate text file. Can the .php file be edited with a wysiwyg editor like Frontpage 2002?

Thank you.

Yes and no.

You can open a php file in Frontpage, but you will only be able to see it in code view if the entire file is PHP code.

If the PHP is in and out of standard HTML then you will be able to see some of the html code in design view.

Generally, you need to setup Frontpage to open a PHP file in Frontpage by setting your editor preferences, otherwise, it will open in whatever text editor program you have associated to the .php extension.

Frontpage 2003 is much more stable in working with php coded files than 2002. 2002 has a great tendency to do what it wants w/ php code.

I am not aware of a really good wysiwyg php editor. The nature of php is that it is run at the server, not within the browser itself or on the client -- thus the limitation of having a wysiwyg php solution to develop in -- today.

Yes and no.

You can open a php file in Frontpage, but you will only be able to see it in code view if the entire file is PHP code.

If the PHP is in and out of standard HTML then you will be able to see some of the html code in design view.

Generally, you need to setup Frontpage to open a PHP file in Frontpage by setting your editor preferences, otherwise, it will open in whatever text editor program you have associated to the .php extension.

Frontpage 2003 is much more stable in working with php coded files than 2002.  2002 has a great tendency to do what it wants w/ php code.

I am not aware of a really good wysiwyg php editor.  The nature of php is that it is run at the server, not within the browser itself or on the client -- thus the limitation of having a wysiwyg php solution to develop in -- today.

The odd thing about it is when I choose to open the .php file with "OPEN WITH" Frontpage 2002 program association it does open Frontpage 2002 but also opens Notepad. So it opens Frontpage 2002 and a text editor. hmmmmmmm

Does Dreamweaver MX allow you to edit php code wysiwyg?

You need to go into Frontpage in your editor preferences and set those to open a .php in Frontpage.

Dreamweaver will work just like Frontpage... you gotta tell it to specifically open the file.

You need to go into Frontpage in your editor preferences and set those to open a .php in Frontpage.

Dreamweaver will work just like Frontpage... you gotta tell it to specifically open the file.

But will Dreamweaver allow you to edit in WYSIWYG or will it be a text file too?

Dreamweaver, like FrontPage, will allow you to edit in WYSIWYG. However, like Jim said, since php is designed to be run at the server, the pages may appear "weird" in the WYSIWYG editor. Then you also have the possibility of the page not rendering properly on the user's web browser.

There may be a WYSIWYG editor available for php files out there somewhere. I just haven't heard of it.

I wouldn't think you could do PHP in WYSIWYG, as it doesn't do anything until it's executed, like Java or C. I've seen some hacks to do minor editing, but nothing so far like FrontPage. And you'd have to load PHP and Apache or IIS on your computer. Best just to learn PHP. There are some pretty good tutorials out there, and everybody here is pretty helpful.

You can do view php in Dreamweaver.

Read my posts in this thread.

Right, you can edit in Dreamweaver, and in design mode it will put in a placeholder for you, but to see the actual output you still need to install PHP and a web server.