Does Tch Offer Anything For Autoresponders At All?

shelwriter

I've spent about 45 minutes searching through the forums. If I'm reading right, TCH does NOT support any type of auto-responder program at all... Is that right?

I know nothing about PHP, CGI or any of that stuff. I use FP 2002 if that tells you anything. :dance:

I send my newsletter through yahoogroups but would like to have something integrated within my site for both my newsletter and an e-course autoresponder series.

If I went the PHP or other script route, I would need some serious help on getting it installed and running correctly. I mean SERIOUS!

Here's what I'm needing: A system that allows my visitors to fill out a double opt-in form. One for my monthly newsletter that is broadcasted when I choose.

Second, I need the same type of double opt-in form for my 7-day e-mail course that I can change, export/import addresses, increase the # of autoresponses, add more autoresopnder series.

I also would like to be able to use HTML & text to send these. And capturing e-mail and name and address would be GREAT!

Any advice?? Help!? :dance:

Rob -

In looking at the TCH movie tutorial on autoresponders, it looks like it is used for a one-sie autoresponse (i.e., I am out of the office right now....)

I will see what I can find. I don't know how to understand the descriptions under most of these scripts. They're too technical for me. They don't say the words I'm expecting them to. They use things like Unix based, no CGI bin database required (I know I'm messing this up, but that's the genreal words I'm seeing although probably not in that order.)

I may have to go with an off-site autoresponder for now although I really don't want to. It's getting late and I will continue my search tomorrow morning.

If anyone else has any ideas, could they please let me know?

Thanks!

Okay -

I found one and I'm working on uploading it.

It's asking me to do this:

# Type the full path to your EMail program.

# If you're not sure of this, ask your server administrator

$mailprog="/usr/sbin/sendmail";

See! Told you I would be lost. What is this? What do I change?

**Edit - - Also, it's telling me to make sure that I upload files and folders. I've done this before but it says to make sure they're in ASCII not BINARY. How do I make sure I do this?

Thanks!!

Okay, I'm back.

Uploaded the folders as instructed.

It recommended CHOMD files and folders. Which I did. It gave recommendations on CHOMD folder for autoresponder to 777, 775, or 755 and I tried all of them.

Here's my admin log in page url that's supposed to work: http://www.thecorpwriter.com/cgi-bin/autoresponder/ar.cgi

I get a 404 error. Help? Do I need to open a support ticket? I'm lost!

Shelle

****EDIT****

I'm moving my request to the scripts forum area - I think I'll get better response this way. Thanks guys!

Edited by shelwriter

Hey guys -

I posted this in the Looking for.... forum, but I edited it to say that I was bringing the question here. I only posted it in that forum because that was where I initially started my thread about autoresponders.

I found Autoresponder Unlimited and it has great reviews. At least that's all I can find.

I downloaded, changed the things I needed. I uploaded it according to the directions. And CHMOD the files and folders it said to do.

It gave recommendations on CHOMD folder for the autoresponder to 777, 775, or 755 and I tried all of them.

Here's my admin log in page url that's supposed to work: http://www.thecorpwriter.com/cgi-bin/autoresponder/ar.cgi

I get a 404 error. Help? Do I need to open a support ticket? I'm lost!

Thanks guys!!! I'm waiting on pins and needles for this. Would like to get it up and running asap.

Shel

ahhh ...

So I need to keep the folder name the same then? Okay - let me try that one out. Thank you!

Shelle

***** EDIT ******

Okay, I changed the name of the folder to autoresponder and changed the permissions to 777, 755 and 775 trying to get it to work. Now I get an Internal Server Error.

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@thecorpwriter.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Apache/1.3.31 Server at www.thecorpwriter.com Port 80

Help?

;)

Did you upload the files in ASCII mode versus BINARY?  That is a common mistake.  Also the ar.cgi file should be set to 755 permissions.

Merged topics.

Bruce -

I don't know what the difference is or how to do it differently. Basically I went in and uploaded them as they were. I uploaded the files from CPanel. Did I do it wrong?

Also, did you see my other post about the server error I'm getting now?

I see that you merged the two posts. Thank you.

ar.cgi file is 755.

The 404 is caused by there not being a 404 error page, so you can ignore that for now. Your getting an internal file error which leads me to believe that the file was not uploaded in ASCII mode (plain text). I could be wrong though.

I don't use cPanel to upload so I don't know if you can specify if it is ASCII or BINARY when uploading. Do you have an FTP client? All FTP clients have the ability to force uploading in ASCII.

The 404 is caused by there not being a 404 error page, so you can ignore that for now.  Your getting an internal file error which leads me to believe that the file was not uploaded in ASCII mode (plain text). I could be wrong though.

I don't use cPanel to upload so I don't know if you can specify if it is ASCII or BINARY when uploading.  Do you have an FTP client?  All FTP clients have the ability to force uploading in ASCII.

Bruce -

Nope, I use FP 2002 and that's my FTP client. Can I use this? OR can you make a suggestion?

I wouldn't know how to begin to FTP this from FP 2002 either. I'm so sorry!!! I'm a dummy at this kind of stuff! ;)

I also wouldn't know how to use another FTP client either, alhtough I know what it does, basically.... ACK!!!

Can you ;) me into shape??

Shel

==========EDIT===========

Okay, maybe I'm biting off more than I can chew...

I downloaded FTP Navigator. I don't understand it at all. It has a list of servers, how do you know which one to pick?

It also gives you a choice of adding one. Lord, I am in way over my head.

Someone help?

Hey guys -

I'm sorry. I'm too impatient... I signed up for a free autoresponder. Won't like it very much, but I need to get it up and running very shortly.

Thank you for all the help. I'm going to go see if there's a forum area where I can put in a request for this type of thing.

Thank you!!!

Shelle

Okay, maybe I'm biting off more than I can chew...

I downloaded FTP Navigator. I don't understand it at all. It has a list of servers, how do you know which one to pick?

It also gives you a choice of adding one. Lord, I am in way over my head.

Someone help?

I don't use FTP Navigator so all I can do is offer some generic help.

You will need to add a server. The name for the server would be ftp.******.

For the user login, you would use your cpanel name, and password would be your cpanel password.

Once logged in you should see your folders.