Any Possibility Of Adding Fantastico Deluxe?

I was searching for something lately and learned of Fantastico Deluxe (netenberg.com), a script loading add-on for CPanel. It has some nice capabilities, and as I have discovered, some of these open source add-ons can be cumbersome to install. Any possibility of use getting this as part of the Totalchoice offering? It looks like it costs $90 for the first server, and less for each additional. I'd be willing to pay a one-time "access" fee for it, or perhaps an additional small amount per month for it (say, up to $1.00).

A quick question --- how do some of these hosting providers afford to host "unlimited" storage and bandwidth services, with PHP, MySQL, Fantastico, etc. for $10 per YEAR? I'd think you'd be losing money just monitoring the automated installation!

Keep up the great work! :shutup:

Brett

We have considered fantastico in the past, we may concider it again...who knows.

A quick question --- how do some of these hosting providers afford to host "unlimited" storage and bandwidth services, with PHP, MySQL, Fantastico, etc. for $10 per YEAR? I'd think you'd be losing money just monitoring the automated installation!

Well, there is no such thing as unlimited space and bandwidth, someone somewhere is going to end up paying for it. Hosts that offer uhnlimited space and bandwidth are usually way overselling their servers and nornmally dont last long. If your looking for a host and see unlimited sapce and bandwidth, your better off looking somewhere else.

"unmetered" is the new catch phrase for bandwidth, but its also just a marketing ploy.

Just as a note - the fantastico installs are often very far behind what is actually out there and the software they can install really is not all that cumbersome. For instance, one fantastico install I saw had wordpress .74 I believe, when 1.2 is out.

If the software is gpl'd and under any decent development it would just be nearly impossible to keep Fantastico up-to-date and would, in the end, be a disservice to those using those scripts.

If there are scripts you wish to install and are having some difficulties/not sure what to do, make use of our scripting forums. Lots of help to be had there and you may find that it looks scarier than it actually is. =)

I am not a fan of any one click install software apps like those that come with things like Fantastico and even cPanel. As noted by lisa, they are behind in their release but most notably because you dont learn anything from it. After doing a manual install of osCommerce it was much easier for me to understand how to customize it to my liking. It was the same for PHP-Nuke and all those other programs like it. Word Press was a whole ten minutes at most.

It may look like a good deal to have all of those scripts in one location but I feel you are better off getting them from their respective websites.

Wait, isnt that what Don just said?

• 6 months later...
I am not a fan of any one click install software apps like those that come with things like Fantastico and even cPanel.  As noted by lisa, they are behind in their release but most notably because you dont learn anything from it.  After doing a manual install of osCommerce it was much easier for me to understand how to customize it to my liking.  It was the same for PHP-Nuke and all those other programs like it.  Word Press was a whole ten minutes at most.

It may look like a good deal to have all of those scripts in one location but I feel you are better off getting them from their respective websites.

Wait, isnt that what Don just said?

But you are speaking for the point of view of someone who is fairly computer savvy. When I came to all this I would have been lost trying to install these manually.

As for not learning anything, I learnt a great deal installing and using it through fantastico. It also enabled me to focus on what I wanted, a production site working quickly.

Now that I better understand the principles and structure behind it I have treid manual installs and upgrades and am working on customisation. But that too most of year slowly tinker and playing to learn about different bits of it.

Remember not everone comes to this with a grewat deal of experience and this is a great way to support people without supporting them.

As you offer nothing like this I'd ecpect TCH to help support me in working with this stuff if I was new to it all. If you offer it you explicitly absolve yourself of support and make it less likely that you'll need it as the process is simpler for those new to it.

Matt

Matt,

Offering or not offering anything dos not absolve one from supporting it. I do not expect everyone to know how to install and run things for themselves right off the bat. With limited exception you can install whatever you want, my feeling is that you come away with more if you learn to do it though. I was here before osCommerce was a part of cPanel and I had to teach myself. I learned much from it. I was just a customer at the time and I didnt expect them to help me, we can't be expected to support every script that is out there, not at the cost of our hosting. It is almost like asking the manager of the parking garage to help me install my new supercharger into my car.

If we did offer it, the support for those apps would not change though and the talk is still going on with this .

I agree with Matt and feel that Fantastico would be a big help to me. Right now I've got all this space and no knowledge of how to install a single blogging tool or a gallery for that matter. This will not be fun at all for me. Yeah, I could learn, but as a college student preparing to graduate, I don't have the time for it. Fantastico would be a great help to your current customers who aren't familiar with installing scripts or anything like that and who do not have time to learn.

Brenda

Welcome to the forums ladidah! :angry:

You could install Wordpress yourself in less than a 1/2 hour using these instructions.

http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/help/wordpress.html

And you can install Gallery in about the same amount of time using these instructions.

http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/help/id168.htm