ok no maybe to it. i'm offically an idiot. after reading the simple instructions here and the simple instructions over at the phpbb site, i STILL cannot make this @#$@#$ thing work. Mad!!! i swear i'm not an idiot, i know how to upload files (even using ftp woo) but is there some kind of waiting period i'm missing? or something i dunno? i keep getting to the part where i type in

www.****/phpbb2/install/install.php

that's where the 404 pops up. grrrrrr....

please please help.

Have you uploaded phpBB's files to the correct directory?

In your case, the correct directory should be /public_html/phpbb2

Also, look out for case sensitivity problems. If you named your directory "phpBB2" when uploading, then you should access it via www.****/phpBB2/install/install.php too.

Also, I'm moving this for better organization.

Edited by TCH-Raul

lisa, i've tried both ways. first the upload, because those were the instructions i had first. then i found the one click option. and i've discovered i actually have a forum setup but i can't get to the admin panel, and a 404 pops up almost every other click. users can register and post but i can't change things or log in and out without errors.

raul, thanks for moving this, didnt exactly know where to fit it in my haste for answers :) also... www.****/forum/install/install.php doesnt work, and www.****/public_html/forum/install/install.php doesn't either.

gosh i still feel dumb :)

If you installed the forum via cPanel's addon scripts, it's possible that it doesn't have the install.php script - it is considered a security flaw to leave it there after installing the board, since anyone can access it and wipe-out your entire board.

But if you want to access the admin panel, you have to go to www.******/forum/admin/ , not the install.php thing :unsure:

Ok, I installed the phpbb from cpanel.

There is no install folder or file when installed this way.

The link to admin is at the bottom of the page when you login

in addition to the forum/admin/

I think you may want to start over

by deleting the forum folder

and in cpanel>mysql delete the database

then in cpanel>scripts library>phpBB

Perhaps this will go easier.

Edited by TCH-Don

i tried that also... it gives me a 404 when i click that link.

i also tried deleting the forum and starting over, but there was some error. it deleted everything except the cache folder... which is empty.

so then i tried just adding another forum. that also didnt work.

*le sigh*

next step? *searches for banging head on wall smilie*

• 5 months later...

i need help to install phpbb2 forums plz add mihir.tandon@gmail.com to ur msn messenger to help me plz help me i promise to give link to ur site from my forum if u help me

Edit: TCH-Rob I have removed your second paragraph. It isn't necessary, I will give you another chance to rephrase your question.

i need help to install phpbb2 forums plz add mihir.tandon@gmail.com to ur msn messenger to help me plz help me i promise to give link to ur site from my forum if u help me

TCH-Rob: Removed second paragraph.

I'm assuming you are not hosted here, with that crazy post. While this forum is for customers of TotalChoice Hosting, everyone here is very friendly. Try posting your problem instead of begging. We will not hold your hand but we can try to offer some assistance or point you to a proper resource. The best option would be to move your site here and take advantage of our one click install for phpbb.

Anyone can goto the phpBB site and download the compressed file,

uncompress on your computer.

then follow the instructions in the uncompressed file.

As we can install from our cpanel, we do not run into many install problems.

And you can find detailed install help on their forum.

Edited by TCH-Don
do i have to pay

i am not hosted on this site i hve my own site jus need help

You do not have to pay though not being a member may get you less detailed help as we try and devote our resources towards our family members, we arent geared for third party help, that's what the site Don referred you to is for. That said the way you made your post is in bad taste, we are a hosting company and making an offer like that was out of line.