Dreamweaver/website ?

joly

I went to bed reading my Dreamweaver book last night, think I will like it.

Got a question, since my website and 3 sub domains are built in Frontpage 2003 and I publish thru Frontpage, if I build another sub domain and build it in Dreamweaver and publish it however thru Dreamweaver, is it possible to have my website and sub domains up on the web with some using Frontpage and others Dreamweaver or do they all have to be one or the other?

I'm just wondering, I'd like to get them all rebuilt with Dreamweaver but wondering if anything new can be put up using Dreamweaver and leaving the others til I get them rebuilt with Dreamweaver.

Also I'm assuming whatever I build in Dreamweaver if I do it right it will work with all browsers and look the same.

Thanks again!

Joly

Hi, Joly.

I think that if you start building your site from the groundup in Dreamweaver, and publish as you go, your subdomains will be alright. Shouldn't cause any problems. I would take a whole chunk at a time, though. Like...do your entire primary domain, then publish and move to the next one. If you have som pages of a domain or sub-domain in FP and some pages in DW...you could potentially run into problems, depending on how you build. I really think you'll be alright though.

As for whether or not your site will look the same across browsers...that's a whole other beast. Unfortunately, no program can guarantee how your site will look. A lot of it is just simply up to you. DW writes better code than FP (imo), but it is not perfect. Test your pages in different browsers before you publish and most importantly, jump in and get your hands dirty with some html coding. I taught myself to be comfortable working with the code. HTML is not hard to figure out, especially using DW's code view!

Good luck! There are several of us to help you out with DW as you learn!!

Yes, that was what I was wondering, if I could leave up what I have in Frontpage for now. I have a new newsletter for summer due July 1 and prefer to do it in Dreamweaver and was hoping that I could publish it under a new sub domain name but leave my previous one up and website (in FP) until I can redo them in Dreamweaver.

Hope I'm saying that right, some would be in Front Page, some in Dreamweaver. It would be the current website and sub domains would be in Frontpage, but any new sub domains would be in Dreamweaver but they can all stay up and be viewed. Does that make sense?

Thanks!

Joly

Yes, I think you'll be fine. The only thing I'd try and stay away from is having half of one sub-domain published in FP and the other half in DW. Try to do a whole one at a time. One sub-domain won't affect another.

Does that clarify?? Sorry...I'm having a hard time saying what I'm thinking!! ;)

No, I understand what you said. :dance:

I just wanted to make sure one sub domain could be FP and another DW. I'm slow on creating so I know it will take awhile to redo what's already been done. This way I can start my new subs in DW and in my extra time (LOL) start on redoing the others.

Thanks a bunch!

Joly

If your sites don't require a lot of maintenance you may want to go ahead and set up the sites in DW, as placemarkers if nothing else. Once you set up the details about the sites you can then set up the new subdomains as you go.

You may even want to "get" the files from the remote to your local directories so that you'll have them all ready to go in DW when you're set to make the change.

As Tracy said, ask away, we're happy to help.

Whoa....Jim, that's over my head! LOL Not sure what you mean. :dance:

I'll be doing a new sub domain at the end of the month, first of July so that is going to be my first project in DW. My main site and a couple other sub domains are already up in FP. I was just going to in my spare time, re create them in DW. I thought that would be less confusing for me and give me good practice with DW. My sites are not fancy by any means, but eventually will want them all in DW.

Will that work out ok?

Thanks!

Joly

www.my-birman-noelle.com

purrcity.my-birman-noelle.com

jill.mybirman-noelle.com

newsletter1.my-birman-noelle.com

Sure, there's no problem with that. I was just saying that if you set up all of your domains in DW as real sites then you won't have to worry about it when you get ready to start converting them.

There's even a download feature that you can use to "get" your sites that are on the server and copy them to your local hard drive. After you modify those files, and I'd suggest using DW for that, then you can "put" the new version back to the server.

Either way is fine though. I'm sure you'll have frustrations so come by here and ask for help, but it will be fun too!

Thanks so much Jim! I loaded the Dreamweaver MX 2004 last night to my computer and "looked" at it and am still reading on my how to book. I think I'm really going to like it! I can't wait to start using it. I also found the how to book I really wanted off Amazon for under $13 rather than $44 at the store and I ordered a CD on How to Master Dreamweaver MX 2004. So I think I'm off to a good start LOL but knowing me I'll get stuck somewhere along the way and will be lookin' for ya!

I just love this place and everyone here! Why someone would choose a different host is beyond me!

Have a great day!

Joly Rock Sign :dance: